Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cases that stick with you

Kota

no, of course i havent and never will, college park in orlando where i was 46 years was going that direction fast, i like where we moved, modern mayberryish, eustis fl.

back to the Ramsey case, i followed it at the time and things stuck with me, right or wrong the father gave me that yuck creep "vibe" and i guess your word "sick" is as good as any for my opinion what they were doing with Jon Benet, the wife seemed stepford hense why i used it and my guess the son was ignored living in Jon Benets shadow,

its weird to me that decades later people are good with leaving it unsolved, little girl is dead but no one has to answer for it,

17 minutes ago, the13bats said:

no, of course i havent and never will, college park in orlando where i was 46 years was going that direction fast, i like where we moved, modern mayberryish, eustis fl.

back to the Ramsey case, i followed it at the time and things stuck with me, right or wrong the father gave me that yuck creep "vibe" and i guess your word "sick" is as good as any for my opinion what they were doing with Jon Benet, the wife seemed stepford hense why i used it and my guess the son was ignored living in Jon Benets shadow,

its weird to me that decades later people are good with leaving it unsolved, little girl is dead but no one has to answer for it,

I also suspect that the police high ups were helping with the cover up.  It just didn't make sense that they had all that information but could not solve it.  I agree with the feelings about the dad.

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I also suspect that the police high ups were helping with the cover up.  It just didn't make sense that they had all that information but could not solve it.  I agree with the feelings about the dad.

if im not mistaken that was dads second try at a family and hes on his third now

i admit i have forgotten a lot of details but i recall many people thought there was a law enforcement cover up, very well might have been it did seem more than just crap police work,

my gmother was still alive back then she was watching a show about it, i was in her room eating dinner she looks at me and said and its a bit paraphased,

"i bet ya a dollar to a donut the dad, brother or both were messing with her, you know playing nasty and it went too far and she got killed"

i said what makes you think that, she said it was the feel she got...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, the13bats said:

if im not mistaken that was dads second try at a family and hes on his third now

i admit i have forgotten a lot of details but i recall many people thought there was a law enforcement cover up, very well might have been it did seem more than just crap police work,

my gmother was still alive back then she was watching a show about it, i was in her room eating dinner she looks at me and said and its a bit paraphased,

"i bet ya a dollar to a donut the dad, brother or both were messing with her, you know playing nasty and it went too far and she got killed"

i said what makes you think that, she said it was the feel she got...

Yeah, it was a feeling I got too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Buzz said:

O.J. Simpson Case

Scott Peterson

Chris Watts

I don't know about the Scott Peterson or Chris Watts case but I have something stuck in my craw about the OJ case.  One year nothing on television except that trial and it was such a useless waste of time.  I didn't watch any of it until the company paid for 7 of us to get some training and the woman running the training stopped everything so that we could watch the verdict and the rest of the afternoon it was all about that, and no more training.  I told my boss to make her do the training again for free.  The company didn't and I don't know if they took a discount or not.  And the whole time that was going on congress was stealing more of our rights and money but it was not reported.  The OJ Trial was just a big distraction like the Trump tweets are now.

The trial of George Stoner and Alma Rattenbury in 1935 for the brutal murder of Mr. Rattenbury.  I used to live close to the house where the murder took place.

Summary

Alma married Francis (a famous architect).

Alma had a passionate affair with their servant George.

Alma did not want to break up the marriage and decided to end the affair.

Her husband Francis was found beaten to death with a wooden mallet.

Alma confessed to the crime and was facing the death penalty.

George intervened and confessed he murdered Francis.

Was it out of love to protect Alma, or an honest confession.

Both were accused and the trial became national headlines.

Alma was found not guilty.  George was found guilty and sentenced to death.

Alma soon afterwards killed herself by a quiet river.  Stabbing herself in the chest 6 times (3 wounds striking her heart) and falling into the river.

George wrote a letter claiming that Alma did the crime and he was just protecting her with the expectation that she could get him out after she was free, but the letter was rejected as a desperate effort to stop the death penalty.

The public felt sorry for George as they thought he was just a young misguided man and a nationwide petition resulted in his sentence being reduced to life in prison.

George was released during WW2 to fight in the war and lived a quiet life and died on the anniversary of the crime.

To this day nobody knows who murdered Francis Rattenbury.

The Trial was conducted so badly that simple questions like - were each of the accused left or right handed - to deduce whether they could strike the victim from the right or wrong angle were never asked.  Francis was struck three times in the head by a wooden mallet.  But the doctors noticed that one of the blows was so light that it barely scratched the skin (a delicate hand from Alma?) and yet another blow was so hard that it fractured his skull (a strong hand from George?).

A mystery that each of them took to their death.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had all sorts of things happen since last July.  Such as I just spent a whole month in hospital. But I am still planning on getting a laptop and stating my case.

However, season 2 of True Detective had NOTHING to do with season 1- different case & state. I'm fairly sure there was not a season 3 but I may be wrong about that. 

6 hours ago, RedddWing said:

I've had all sorts of things happen since last July.  Such as I just spent a whole month in hospital. But I am still planning on getting a laptop and stating my case.

However, season 2 of True Detective had NOTHING to do with season 1- different case & state. I'm fairly sure there was not a season 3 but I may be wrong about that. 

I hope you are feeling better.  A month in hospital must have been very hard on you, like loosing a month of your life. 

Boy in the Box https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in_the_Box_(Philadelphia)

JonBenét Ramsey

Chandra Levy

The Farmville Murders https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmville_murders

Not a nationally famous case, hell, it barely made the late edition of the local papers.

Got a call of a "possible deceased body". On arrival, a pair of uniformed patrol officers direct me to the scene, where I find a male Hispanic's head, ducted taped to the floor of the kitchen in an apartment. No blood spatter, no body in the entire place. Obviously, the murder was committed elsewhere. While waiting for the detectives to arrive, I sent our rookie downstairs to the apartment below, just to make sure that there wasn't a corpse dangling from the ceiling. yeah, I was a p rick.

DT's arrive on scene, we give them our info and leave it to them. The weird thing though? We never got a report of a headless corpse.

I always wondered where the rest of him ended up.

18 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I always wondered where the rest of him ended up.

giphy.gif

• 4 months later...

Suspected and Proven Killers:

(interested in them mostly because they're compulsive liars)

• Jodi Arias
  • Amanda Knox
  • Darlie Routier
  • Chris Watts
  • OJ Simpson
  • Gable Tostee
  • Mark Sievers

Missing Children:

(interest because I believe their parents are compulsive liars)

• Jon Benet Ramsey
  • Madeleine McCann
  • Like 1

What about Casey Anthony? this case still bothers me to this day. 

• Like 2

In Arizona, 9 Buddhist monks murdered in their own temple dwelling, 4 people arrested for the murders after one of them who is a mentally ill patience confesses and says his cousin was one of them, 3 out of the 4 men confess after long hrs., up to 33 hrs. straight of being interrogated, with no food.

At the end to find out that two 17 year old boys did it and one of them confessed to 2 other murders. 

Sad, very sickening and sad!!! But the justice system in the area was forced to do things better to avoid holding innocent people accountable for crimes they didn't commit cuz it had been going on but due to the prosecutor sticking to hid morals the system was finally cleaned up. (Seen it on forensic files). This one is going to stick with me for a while, those poor monks...

On 4/12/2019 at 8:21 AM, SecularHaze77 said:

Villisca and the Midwest Axe Murders, also the series in Texas/Louisiana at the same time

I toured the Villisca Axe Murders House a few years ago. I was the only person on the tour, so I was able to ask questions and have a conversation with the tour guide.

The kids’ rooms had turn-of-the-century clothes and books and furniture, and framed pictures of the children were hung on the walls. We went upstairs to the room where the parents were sleeping when they were murdered, and I looked into the small attic where the killer probably was hiding when the family came home from church. 

Then the tour guide suddenly says, “I’ll leave you alone now.” And she left! So there I was, all alone in a room that still had the gashes in the ceiling from the axe swinging up and down, and the whole house was completely silent, and I started feeling very emotional. I wanted more than anything to go back in time to warn the family or somehow stop the killer. It took days for that feeling to go away. I still feel a great sadness when I think about it.

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another case that sticks with me, mostly because I think I've seen variations of the case on every true crime show possible: Dana Satterfield and the white Bronco. It's an easy case to look up, and it was solved in 2005. Nonetheless, there are still so many shows regarding this case, and it's one of those things that I feel like I hear on TV every time I turn around.

I recently heard about Peter Scully, and it horrified me. The crimes he and his accomplices committed are horrific. It made my stomach churn when reading about the case. In the grand scheme of things it probably isn't worse than a case like the Oakland County child killer, but the fact that they tortured their victims and filmed their crimes just makes my blood turn to ice. I don't think I've ever been that disturbed in all my years of being fascinated with true crime.

Oakland County child killer is another one that has stuck with me, partly because it happened around my neck of the woods, and mostly because it remains unsolved.

Basically anything that has to do with kids, the elderly, and anything involving helpless victims disturbs me the most. I really wish I could unread the case about Scully.

Edited by mr3rdrock

Seth Rich, a DNC staffer was shot to death in Washington, DC in what police called an apparent robbery gone wrong yet nothing was taken. That one sticks with me, just because there was so much speculation that this guy knew too much and might have been leaking information. 

On 3/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, mr3rdrock said:

I recently heard about Peter Scully, and it horrified me. The crimes he and his accomplices committed are horrific. It made my stomach churn when reading about the case. In the grand scheme of things it probably isn't worse than a case like the Oakland County child killer, but the fact that they tortured their victims and filmed their crimes just makes my blood turn to ice. I don't think I've ever been that disturbed in all my years of being fascinated with true crime.

Oakland County child killer is another one that has stuck with me, partly because it happened around my neck of the woods, and mostly because it remains unsolved.

Basically anything that has to do with kids, the elderly, and anything involving helpless victims disturbs me the most. I really wish I could unread the case about Scully.

There was a case of a little boy who was abducted. His kidnapper kept him in the room of his parent's house, gagged him, and over the course of a few weeks broke every bone and dislocated it from his body. He didn't kill him and the kid eventually got away, I think by crawling to a window and tossing himself out. I don't know if you ever heard of the case but while I don't remember the particulars I was horrified that happened.  Maybe you remember that case?

I also remember the case of puppy Doe. A pit bull puppy adopted by a Polish Radoslaw Czerkawski residing in the US who did the same to her. Then he tossed her and left her on the side of the road. (Caution, disturbing pictures)  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/radoslaw-czerkawski-puppy-doe-man-sentenced-prison-abusing-dog-dedham-massachusetts/

He got 8-10 years for that and also for the theft of larceny from a Catholic Church, but will probably be out in 4 though immigration has a detainer on him to deport him after he is released.  But, disturbing as this all is, he also used to take care of an elderly woman who he was stealing from and it was initially reported that she died under mysterious causes, although later reports said it was from natural causes. He was never charged for the stealing and the police stopped investigating whether he was responsible for that woman's death.  I really think the police and DA dropped the ball by not further investigating and charging this guy. I think they just want to get him out of the country.    

On 7/9/2019 at 5:05 AM, Aaron2016 said:

The trial of George Stoner and Alma Rattenbury in 1935 for the brutal murder of Mr. Rattenbury.  I used to live close to the house where the murder took place.

Summary

Alma married Francis (a famous architect).

Alma had a passionate affair with their servant George.

Alma did not want to break up the marriage and decided to end the affair.

Her husband Francis was found beaten to death with a wooden mallet.

Alma confessed to the crime and was facing the death penalty.

George intervened and confessed he murdered Francis.

Was it out of love to protect Alma, or an honest confession.

Both were accused and the trial became national headlines.

Alma was found not guilty.  George was found guilty and sentenced to death.

Alma soon afterwards killed herself by a quiet river.  Stabbing herself in the chest 6 times (3 wounds striking her heart) and falling into the river.

George wrote a letter claiming that Alma did the crime and he was just protecting her with the expectation that she could get him out after she was free, but the letter was rejected as a desperate effort to stop the death penalty.

The public felt sorry for George as they thought he was just a young misguided man and a nationwide petition resulted in his sentence being reduced to life in prison.

George was released during WW2 to fight in the war and lived a quiet life and died on the anniversary of the crime.

To this day nobody knows who murdered Francis Rattenbury.

The Trial was conducted so badly that simple questions like - were each of the accused left or right handed - to deduce whether they could strike the victim from the right or wrong angle were never asked.  Francis was struck three times in the head by a wooden mallet.  But the doctors noticed that one of the blows was so light that it barely scratched the skin (a delicate hand from Alma?) and yet another blow was so hard that it fractured his skull (a strong hand from George?).

A mystery that each of them took to their death.

Maybe they both did it and ganged up on him.

The case of Dean Corll kind of bothers me. Mostly because of how bizarre it is. Some say Elmer Henley was a victim in this event, he went even as far as to shoot and kill Corll, and he also had the fear he was going to be sold into a sex ring.