Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists explain knuckle cracking sound

Still Waters

Scientists have turned their attention to investigating that most annoying of human habits - the sound made when you crack your knuckles.

The characteristic pop can be explained by three mathematical equations, they say.

This confirms the idea that the cracking sound is due to tiny bubbles collapsing in the fluid of the joint as the pressure changes.

Surprisingly, perhaps, the phenomenon has been debated for around a century.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43572709

• Like 3

This is interesting. I'm bad about doing this and have been doing this since I was a kid. My mother use to tell me that I would get arthritis early in life if I didn't stop cracking my knuckles. Lol. I think the popping sound just annoyed her.

Sorry mom - pop, pop, pop - pop, pop, pop

Edited by Katniss
  • Like 4

My ankles crack more then any other joint.

Yeah. Once I find a knuckle that "cracks", I just keep doing it until it goes away and it feels better.

I heard that this is not harmful at all, but, not sure. Anyone know?

• Like 1

Gawd, when I get up in the morning I sound like snack time at the Orville Reddenbacher factory. Even my old arthritic dog looks at me as if to say, "Whoa dude, sucks to be you."

Hank

• Like 1

I can better explain it in my own language but I'll try in English. When you crack your knuckles fluid is being released that holds the fingerbones loosely together, if you do it for years on end it can cause severe arthritis because the gap between your bones can't close properly anymore which results in your fingers being "bent".

I've always heard it is bad for your joints, but here I am almost 50 and my fingers are still pain free....

I guess I'll keep cracking them.

I also can pop my elbows, shoulders, ankles and feet bones. The elbows are particularly loud. Like a knuckle pop times three.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I've always heard it is bad for your joints, but here I am almost 50 and my fingers are still pain free....

I guess I'll keep cracking them.

I also can pop my elbows, shoulders, ankles and feet bones. The elbows are particularly loud. Like a knuckle pop times three.

I crack too much I think.

Neck, back, fingers, toes, ankles, knees and a weird one - my Xiphoid process.  i believe that is what it is called.  The little bone below the sternum. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I crack too much I think.

Neck, back, fingers, toes, ankles, knees and a weird one - my Xiphoid process.  i believe that is what it is called.  The little bone below the sternum. 

Oh yeah. I can crack the upper part of my sternum too, but that's due to the surgery I had a couple years back. :lol: 

It is not too much unless it is hurting you, I think. B)

9 hours ago, quasar_kid said:

I can better explain it in my own language but I'll try in English. When you crack your knuckles fluid is being released that holds the fingerbones loosely together, if you do it for years on end it can cause severe arthritis because the gap between your bones can't close properly anymore which results in your fingers being "bent".

That's a myth.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/crack-research/

• Like 5

I really had to fight hard to even read this thread. I've avoided it ever since I saw the article on the front page but today was the day.

If you pop things then I hate you. I hate the sound, I hate the feeling it generates inside my head, I hate the smug looks on peoples faces while they DO IT ON PURPOSE to screw with you. Yes, I hate you all.

That said, behind your hideous joint cracking craziness I'm sure you're all good people. Just please be those good people very, very far away from me :lol:.

And yes, I'm Misophonic.

I soooooooooooo..... Want to post youtube videos of people cracking knuckles now.... :devil:

• Haha 1