Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huygens probe has landed on Titan

UM-Bot

Ok well i've just watched the live stream, they showed a single image from the Huygens probe taken from high up. It showed what were described as "drainage channels" on the surface.

Looking forward to seeing some more. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erikl

• Saru

• Mad Manfred

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! The rocks look very erroded.

Here's the photograph that was on the live feed earlier. It shows a large dark area that could be an ocean of some sort, with channels running in various directions.

post-3-1105736404.jpg

cool i hope they get some decent pics i hate working nights im gonna miss some decent stuff can you guys post up some of the pics of the surface that would be great or links original.gif

Thanks

Nim, saruman HAS been posting pics. See last page.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I think the middle one is the most significant of them all, for now, because it is the first extraterrestrial ocean ever seen before thumbsup.gif

EDIT: the "rocks" in the first image are actually ice! wacko.gif

Edited by Erikl

Pretty cool pics, although I'd like to see color images, is the probe capable of that?

I'm looking forward for better res too, but so far so good, lets hope they get a bird or something in one of the pics tongue.gif j/k

I think the middle one is the most significant of them all, for now, because it is the first extraterrestrial ocean ever seen before 

EDIT: the "rocks" in the first image are actually ice!

I don't know if it's an 'ocean' or not. Ice is frozen water. I don't think they have determined that there is water on Titan yet. Or did I miss something? Pictures can be very deceiving. Let's say there was an ocean of water on Titan. Wouldn't it be completely frozen solid since the temperature is well below -200 degrees F?

Joc, when I said "ocean", and "ice", I didn't necessarily mean water-based. Ice can also mean frozen liquid - which might be some kind of carbon material, in the case of Titan.

As for ocean - it can also refer to any huge body of liquid - my guess is that it's an ocean of methane (cause water can't be liquid at these temperatures, obviously tongue.gif).

my guess is that it's an ocean of methane (cause water can't be liquid at these temperatures, obviously

Ah yes, the methane sea.....

.....way down by the methane sea.....

lyrics from a jimi hendrix song

Awww no plant life =( hehe

Seriously... spiffy..

Excellent pictures guys thumbsup.gif

That first one looks as though there was once, or still is, water on Titan.

And the third...again, looks like clouds...

Ok people, I'm not gonna BS you guys... Those pictures are horrible. They're too small with 1600x1200 resolution. I'm waiting for the high rez color pictures to stun me.

This is trully amazing, what an accomplishment to actually land on Titan the first time and get all this amazing data, its just as exciting as the rovers on Mars or even a bit more!

This is trully amazing, what an accomplishment to actually land on Titan the first time and get all this amazing data, its just as exciting as the rovers on Mars or even a bit more!

450384[/snapback]

A bit more, IMO. Titan is further away, and wasnt Titan the one assumed to already have ice? (I seem to confuse Titan with Europa and Io a lot though!)

The question on Mars was mainly: Was there water? which would then lead to (if true) to "Was there life?"

If theres ice on Titan, the question is not "Was there water?" nor "Was there life?", but "Is there life?"

I see water ripples....

Clicky

450479[/snapback]

I noticed that aswell...from the aerial view it looked as though the probe was about to land on a beach.

A question...will the probe send back color photo's? Or are these the best we're going to get.

450548[/snapback]

user posted image

Does this answers ur question? grin2.gif

it is just a matter of time before people start making conspiracy theories of a titan base or other crap

Edited by Hotoke

user posted image

Another good image... u can clearly see the coast line here, that's incredible! thumbsup.gif

To all the european members here - ESA really kicked ass this time thumbsup.gif congrats cool.gif

Whats up with all these red planets!? (In this case, moon)