Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huygens probe has landed on Titan

UM-Bot

Whats up with all these red planets!? (In this case, moon)

450680[/snapback]

Lots of Iron I would guess, but I am not sure. It is odd how much Titan looks like Mars though. Have they said what the "oceans" are made of?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erikl

• Saru

• Mad Manfred

• Stellar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look closely:

post-3935-1105817106.jpg

Whats up with all these red planets!? (In this case, moon)

450680[/snapback]

Well, 5% of the atmosphere is made of Methane, and also lots of other organic materials, cause it do look organe tongue.gif.

Though has it been confirmed as liquid? If so, wouldn't that be a monumental discovery?

450802[/snapback]

They claim it is liquid... the press conforence this morning also stated that the probe landed on something similar to "wet clay" (and that's a quote).

What kind of liquid? who knows wacko.gif .

Though I have to agree here - it is a monumental discovery thumbsup.gif .

Did you see the IR picture of Titan? WHen I first saw it I was thinking "No way! Such a green planet! It looks like it has an atmosphere too!"

Then I read that it was IR and the different colours dipicted ice and such... the colours were not the actual colours sad.gif

If that's really liquid, then the possibility of single-celled organisms is pretty high right?

If that's really liquid, then the possibility of single-celled organisms is pretty high right?

451035[/snapback]

I certainly hope so grin2.gif .

I think Titan is much more exciting the Mars - and this mission turn out to be outstanding so far thumbsup.gif

I agree but then again mars was pretty exciting when it was new laugh.gif

Considering the distance between Titan and mars it's suprising to see a landscape so similar. Then again, i didn't really expect much more than rocks, although the obvious errosion of the rocks suggests the possibility of long extinct oceans all over it.

Again, the two planets (or should I say, planet and moon) are so similar in their color and landscape for different reasons.

For Mars, it's all the iron and CO2.

On Titan, it's all the methane and organic materials (the stuff they call "Tholin").

Those two cause both objects to be reddish-orange.

As for the rocks - they have been determined to be actually "ice" breaks of some hydrocarbon materials.

Even better! Craziness.

v.cool pics thumbsup.gif indeed cant wait for more coloured photos and interesting place to study anyone think that there is any form of life on Titan? blink.gif would be cool

P.s congrats to ESA for a good job well done grin2.gif more photos please

I always thought of Titan being Earths past and Mars being Earths future

I can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner. That stuff is awesome!

out of all the people i know im the only one excited about how we landed something on titan, i mean these pics are not from earth, people dont get that i dont think, these pics are from thousands of miles away on another planet!

out of all the people i know im the only one excited about how we landed something on titan, i mean these pics are not from earth, people dont get that i dont think, these pics are from thousands of miles away on another planet!

Hah! I know how you feel! If I mentioned "Huygens landed on Titan" they'd think I was mispronouncing someones last name and then would ask "Who's Titan?" or "Stop talking about gayness" or something like that.

hoygens...what is that ice cream, you mean hagan-das, someone said that to me at work, and then you got the ones thinking football whenyou say titan ie my father lol

I don't even bother telling anyone in my home town. Noone would care, the most I'd get is a pretending to care attitude. =\

How do you pronounce Huygens? I'm thinking "HEW-GENS".

PS. Any new pics guys? I've been checking the ESA and NASA sites for the last couple of days with no updates... sad.gif

How do you pronounce Huygens? I'm thinking "HEW-GENS".

PS. Any new pics guys? I've been checking the ESA and NASA sites for the last couple of days with no updates... sad.gif

453986[/snapback]

I think its pronounced High-gens

Huy·gens ( P ) Pronunciation Key (haigenz, hoigens), Christiaan. 1629-1695.

Dutch physicist and astronomer who discovered Saturn's rings (1655), pioneered the use of pendulums in clocks (1657), and formulated Huygens' principle.

Edited by Athenian

Its hard to belive isnt it, We (the human race) Landed a craft an an alien world in the outer system. Truly unbelivable.

I think that we Humans will soon spread out through out the Solar system. If our Technology advances in leeps and bounds they way it has in the past few years.

From what i understand the Atmospher on Titan is similar to that on Earth, because its mostly made up of Nitrogen.

If that is an Ocean, of liquad Methane i wonder if there is any possibility of Life evolving in it, maybe complex life but i dout it. (by complex life im talking about small things, but not microscopic)

~Thanato

im pretty sure it is pronounced hoy-genz (prounonce the "g" like a g and not a "j")