Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is between Heaven and hell?

Summerin1905

21 hours ago, danydandan said:

I think you would stuggle to find the word hell in the Bible. Pretty sure it's in the King James Bible however there is a lot of arguments suggesting the translation was incorrect.

Sorry, but no.  There is no struggle to find the word hell in the Bible.  If you go to biblegateway.com you can find dozens of translations of the bible and they all use the word hell.  You will also find the word hades in some translations, which is interesting because it comes right from Greek Mythology.  You will find other words associated with Greek Mythology, and at least one word from Latin, inserted into the Hebrew translation of the bible, and that word is Lucifer, a word that didn’t even exist when the Hebrew Bible was written.

It is true however, that the Hebrew word Sheol, which means grave is sometimes used interchangeably with hell, but you can even find hell used in the Old Testament in the King James Version of the Bible as well as others.  See Psalm 9:17 if you would like an example.

36 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Sorry, but no.  There is no struggle to find the word hell in the Bible.  If you go to biblegateway.com you can find dozens of translations of the bible and they all use the word hell.  You will also find the word hades in some translations, which is interesting because it comes right from Greek Mythology.  You will find other words associated with Greek Mythology, and at least one word from Latin, inserted into the Hebrew translation of the bible, and that word is Lucifer, a word that didn’t even exist when the Hebrew Bible was written.

It is true however, that the Hebrew word Sheol, which means grave is sometimes used interchangeably with hell, but you can even find hell used in the Old Testament in the King James Version of the Bible as well as others.  See Psalm 9:17 if you would like an example.

I didn't say the word hell wasn't in the Bible I said you would stuggle to find it. It's not in the old testament or the Hebrew Bibles. It does appear a number of times in the King James Bible. Many scholar's think the word got mistranslated from Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna. Also there is evidence to suggest the King James Bible was translated from corrupted texts.

When the Bibles were translated correctly hell doesn't seem to appear and that there is no suffering after death. There are more Bibles were hell isn't mentioned than there are that it is.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

It was all a Divine Comedy ...

~

640px-Botticelli_Inferno_XVIII.png

Canto XVIII, part of the 8th circle of Hell. Dante and Virgil are each shown 6 times, descending through the 10 chasms of the circle via a ridge. One of only 4 fully-coloured pages.[2]

~

• Like 1

A guy with a suitcase knocked on Heavens pearly gates and St.Peter looked out and said, sorry you can't come in here with a suitcase. The guy replied I don't want to come in I'm giving you all 5 minutes to get out....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

I didn't say the word hell wasn't in the Bible I said you would stuggle to find it. It's not in the old testament or the Hebrew Bibles. It does appear a number of times in the King James Bible. Many scholar's think the word got mistranslated from Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna. Also there is evidence to suggest the King James Bible was translated from corrupted texts.

When the Bibles were translated correctly hell doesn't seem to appear and that there is no suffering after death. There are more Bibles were hell isn't mentioned than there are that it is.

I don’t know where you’re getting your information.  Jesus’ parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is in every bible I have ever seen, just as the word hell is, and Jesus himself is clearly describing hell as a place of torment.  The King James and other bibles use some of the other words you mentioned in addition to hell...but not exclusively.  I’ve never seen a bible that doesn’t use hell....if you have....which version is it?  

Regardless, there’s no denying that the bible clearly describes hell as a place of torment when taken in total, and Christian doctrine agrees with it.  It may be that you don’t like the way the bible is written or agree with what it says, but it does say those things.

I’m not defending the bible or the doctrines people believe based on it.....I’m just stating the facts as I understand them.

5 hours ago, Guyver said:

I don’t know where you’re getting your information.  Jesus’ parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus is in every bible I have ever seen, just as the word hell is, and Jesus himself is clearly describing hell as a place of torment.  The King James and other bibles use some of the other words you mentioned in addition to hell...but not exclusively.  I’ve never seen a bible that doesn’t use hell....if you have....which version is it?  

Regardless, there’s no denying that the bible clearly describes hell as a place of torment when taken in total, and Christian doctrine agrees with it.  It may be that you don’t like the way the bible is written or agree with what it says, but it does say those things.

I’m not defending the bible or the doctrines people believe based on it.....I’m just stating the facts as I understand them.

Bibles I have seen with out the word hell.

New American Bible Revised Edition, Wesley's New Testament, Scarletts New Testament, Young's Literal Translation, Twentieth Century NT those are the ones I've seen. I know there are lot more. The Original Hebrew Bible doesn't mention hell and that's a fact.

Obviously the Authorised King James Bible uses the word hell, it's mentioned fifty odd times however the new edition mentions hell around 15 times. Same as the New International Version, which is the best seller, and Bibles are based based on this.

It's odd that hell as we know it was never mentioned to Adam and Eve, Cain, the bad people during the great flood, Sodom and Gamorrah or Pharaoh who defied Moses. Well I find it odd anyway.

As I said hell is not mentioned in the Hebrew Bible not once then how does it come about it's mentioned 50 times in the King James?? It's not mentioned once by any other of the Herbrew prophets then why is it even in the King James Bible, specifically the old testament??

It appears clear looking at texts that our version of hell was made up by the Roman Catholic Church. Hell was used to banish bad people as taught by the Priests, that you will go there if you do anything wrong. It was used as a tool to control it's people's in my opinion.  Hell seems to appear around the same time as purgatory which is also a made up concept by the Roman Catholic Church nowhere in the Bible is there a purgatory. This was also used to control people in my opinion. Just like limbo and infant baptism.

Our version of hell, as most people see it, comes from writers like Dante Alighieri and John Milton, both were Roman Catholics. None of what we think off regarding hell actually comes from Jesus himself according to the gospels.

Now let's look at the translation errors in the King James Bible. Which translates one word from three separate words meaning different things. Sheol, Hades and Gehenna

For example the word Sheol translated means unseen or grave. It wasn't a place of punishment either, as you no doubt have read gensis, we know Jacob was there and Job wanted to be there. David spoke of going there and Jesus went there in parables and in Acts of the Apostles. They all went there because they were dead or unseen. It also is used to describe the unseen, or destroyed, nation's in the Bible like Babylon and Tyre. Jesus used the word Sheol to discribe the nation of Capernaum disappearing. It's in Luke and Matthew's gospels.

The word Hades is used a number of times in the testaments. It's in Corinthians, Luke and Acts of the Apostles. None of them use the word Hades in a way described as hell. Infact Paul or Luke, can't remember which one, sees Lazarua there. Paul says oh "grave, Hades, where is ty victory". In Revalations Jesus is said to hold the keys to Hades and death.

The word Gehenna was used by Jesus in the sermon on the mount. "Hell ( Gehenna) of fire". It is used a number of times in the Greek Bible. This word has insteresting history as it appears to literally mean the Valley of Himmon where many Jewish people we're killed. When Jesus uses the word Gehenna he literally means repent or you will end up like the Jews in The Valley of Himmon.

Actually I'll try and get a list of the Bible study the word hell does and doesn't appear there most be one online somewhere.

Edited by danydandan
made spelling boom boom
  • Like 4

Its Also worth pointing out that Judaism at the time Jesus was around never mentioned hell either. However it does mention Gehimmon which as stated earlier meant grave. It does appear to mean purgatory in later teachings being described as a waiting room.

Why would Jesus make up hell when his religion had no concept of it?

7 hours ago, danydandan said:

Bibles I have seen with out the word hell.

New American Bible Revised Edition, Wesley's New Testament, Scarletts New Testament, Young's Literal Translation, Twentieth Century NT those are the ones I've seen. I know there are lot more. The Original Hebrew Bible doesn't mention hell and that's a fact.

Obviously the Authorised King James Bible uses the word hell, it's mentioned fifty odd times however the new edition mentions hell around 15 times. Same as the New International Version, which is the best seller, and Bibles are based based on this.

It's odd that hell as we know it was never mentioned to Adam and Eve, Cain, the bad people during the great flood, Sodom and Gamorrah or Pharaoh who defied Moses. Well I find it odd anyway.

As I said hell is not mentioned in the Hebrew Bible not once then how does it come about it's mentioned 50 times in the King James?? It's not mentioned once by any other of the Herbrew prophets then why is it even in the King James Bible, specifically the old testament??

Using Psalm 9:17 for analysis......YLT renders it "Sheol" as does the NASB.  It makes sense since Sheol is the Hebrew word, and hell is not.  

Here's what wiki says about Sheol - " She'ol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl or /ˈʃiːəl/ SHEE-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל‬ Šəʾôl), in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from God.[1]"

This would be in confirmation to the teaching of Jesus in the Rich Man and Lazarus Parable.  

Here's the etymology on hell, also from wiki.  "The modern English word hell is derived from Old English hel, helle (first attested around 725 AD to refer to a nether world of the dead) reaching into the Anglo-Saxon pagan period, and ultimately from Proto-Germanic *halja, meaning "one who covers up or hides something".[1] This Germanic word also gave rise to similar forms in other Germanic languages, such as Old Frisian helle, hille, Old Saxon hellia, Middle Dutch helle (modern Dutch hel), Old High German helle (Modern German Hölle), Danish, Norwegianand Swedish hel and helvede/helvete (hel + Old Norse víti, "punishment" whence the Icelandic víti "hell"), and Gothic halja.[1] The Germanic word comes from an Indo-European root to do with hiding, with Indo-European cognates including Latin cēlāre ("to hide") and early Irish ceilid ("hides"). Subsequently, the word was used to denote a concept in Christian theology,[1][2] for which see Gehenna."

So, anyway.....to answer the question above; you make a good point.  Hell is not, or should not be found in the bible as it is not an original language word.  This is the point I tried to express earlier to you with respect to Lucifer, Hades, Tartarus, and others.  They are substituted words, as original language translations.  

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

Its Also worth pointing out that Judaism at the time Jesus was around never mentioned hell either. However it does mention Gehimmon which as stated earlier meant grave. It does appear to mean purgatory in later teachings being described as a waiting room.

IDK.  Maybe it's a religious convention designed to control masses through fear?  The bible contains many writings ascribed to Jesus which were not actually words of Jesus as recorded in the earliest bible manuscripts, but were added later.  If this is the case, it certainly speaks to the notion that maybe men themselves are God's "Satan" or adversary......as they have created lies about his truth to deceive people and the non-religious are better off finding their own way instead of listening to the words, thoughts, or doctrines of the deceived.  

3 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Using Psalm 9:17 for analysis......YLT renders it "Sheol" as does the NASB.  It makes sense since Sheol is the Hebrew word, and hell is not.  

Here's what wiki says about Sheol - " She'ol (/ˈʃiːoʊl/ SHEE-ohl or /ˈʃiːəl/ SHEE-əl; Hebrew שְׁאוֹל‬ Šəʾôl), in the Hebrew Bible, is a place of darkness to which all the dead go, both the righteous and the unrighteous, regardless of the moral choices made in life, a place of stillness and darkness cut off from life and from God.[1]"

This would be in confirmation to the teaching of Jesus in the Rich Man and Lazarus Parable.  

Here's the etymology on hell, also from wiki.  "The modern English word hell is derived from Old English hel, helle (first attested around 725 AD to refer to a nether world of the dead) reaching into the Anglo-Saxon pagan period, and ultimately from Proto-Germanic *halja, meaning "one who covers up or hides something".[1] This Germanic word also gave rise to similar forms in other Germanic languages, such as Old Frisian helle, hille, Old Saxon hellia, Middle Dutch helle (modern Dutch hel), Old High German helle (Modern German Hölle), Danish, Norwegianand Swedish hel and helvede/helvete (hel + Old Norse víti, "punishment" whence the Icelandic víti "hell"), and Gothic halja.[1] The Germanic word comes from an Indo-European root to do with hiding, with Indo-European cognates including Latin cēlāre ("to hide") and early Irish ceilid ("hides"). Subsequently, the word was used to denote a concept in Christian theology,[1][2] for which see Gehenna."

So, anyway.....to answer the question above; you make a good point.  Hell is not, or should not be found in the bible as it is not an original language word.  This is the point I tried to express earlier to you with respect to Lucifer, Hades, Tartarus, and others.  They are substituted words, as original language translations.  

Yeah it appears hell doesn't exist as we see it in the time Jesus was around. It's a made up concept by the Catholic Church as far as I can see.

So to answer the question whats between heaven and hell, in theological terms, nothing because hell doesn't appear in the Bible as we see it today.

Edited by danydandan

On 4/3/2018 at 3:00 AM, danydandan said:

Why would he do any of the things He did? Because He was told to by God. Jesus said/did only what he saw his Father doing/saying.

If God sent Jesus to Earth, there is no reason to Not Believe that the paradigm was changing again, just as it had numerous times before. That this might mean that the Grave turned into a Burning Warehouse for the Damned, would be a very easy thing for God to make happen.

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Why would he do any of the things He did? Because He was told to by God. Jesus said/did only what he saw his Father doing/saying.

If God sent Jesus to Earth, there is no reason to Not Believe that the paradigm was changing again, just as it had numerous times before. That this might mean that the Grave turned into a Burning Warehouse for the Damned, would be a very easy thing for God to make happen.

Makes sense I suppose. But Jesus never spoke about hellfire and brimestone

• Like 1

Between Heaven and Hell is life. Look behind you, see your footsteps. That what you see is your legacy. Are you content with your legacy? Look ahead of you. That is your potential future. You shape your future. Your perceptions are shaped by your beliefs. Your actions are shaped by your perceptions. You make your Heaven or your Hell.

3 hours ago, danydandan said:

Makes sense I suppose. But Jesus never spoke about hellfire and brimestone

The bible says he did. 

Mark chapter 9 "  If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 44 where‘Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’[d]

45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 46 where ‘Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.’[e]"

Luke 16 - "The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’""

So, there's just two of the places where Jesus does actually teach of hell being a place of fire and torment.  Why do you say that he never spoke of it?  

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

The bible says he did. 

Mark chapter 9 "  If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 44 where‘Their worm does not die And the fire is not quenched.’[d]

45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet, to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched— 46 where ‘Their worm does not die, And the fire is not quenched.’[e]"

Luke 16 - "The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’""

So, there's just two of the places where Jesus does actually teach of hell being a place of fire and torment.  Why do you say that he never spoke of it?  

Fair point. I'm still convinced that the word and use of the word hell is incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not Christian, but I seldomly believe that between heaven and hell, there is an underworld, where the souls get judged.

If it's a good soul, you go to heaven and bad souls go to hell.

I believe when a human dies, something like Mr Death type thing comes and takes the soul to some kind of court, and there be a Judge. Once in the court the person's account of deeds is read to him and he cannot deny anything. He/she may cry that he/she did not take advantage of human life. He/she is then given his/her sentence. This can be a certain amount of time in heaven or hell to receive the fruits of his deeds and then after that time, he is sent back into the cycle of births and deaths. Heaven and Hell are not permanent places. They are simply transitory places where one receives either pleasure or pain.

My religion believes in reincarnation, so hell and heaven are not permanent either.

• Like 2

Maybe heaven and hell are in the same place and have different designations like cleaning toilets or dishwasher.

jmccr8

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:17 AM, Summerin1905 said:

pretty much the tile what is between heaven and hell? What is the description between? From what I heard is its purgatory, but is it just me or is there not enough description about it? I just wanted to kinda know sorta since its always interest me in terms of the biblical text. 

Most people assume that a single reality exists separate from us all and we all experience different parts of it depending on what we come across.

An alternative view (which is the position of physics) is that reality is tailored to each person based on their situational circumstances and conscious awareness, or better put reality is relative. With that in mind we could have heaven, hell, and a finite number of realities in between all superimposed ontop of each other.

• Like 1

Don't let it be forgotten that Hell is god's work to house the sinful among which the devil / satan is the just another one among them ...

~

With the Chinese / Asian / Oriental its just another realm not unlike any other ...

~

Fengdu Ghost City: Testing Your Soul in the Domain of the Chinese ...

www.ancient-origins.net/.../fengdu-ghost-city-testing-your-soul-domain-chinese-king-...

Nov 4, 2017 - Fengdu Ghost City: Testing Your Soul in the Domain of the Chinese King of Hell. Numerous ... According to traditional Chinese belief, this was the bridge that connects the mortal realm to the Underworld. ... Large statue known as 'The Ghost King' on the hilltop at Fengdu Ghost City, Chongqing, China.

~

You Can't Escape Bureaucracy, Even in Death - Sixth Tone

Apr 3, 2018 - The traditional Chinese conception of death is that after someone dies, they go to the underworld. This realm is governed by Yama, widely believed to be its most powerful figure. But according to most Chinese philosophical and religious literature, the bodhisattva Ksitigarbha is the true king of the ...

~

I like this article best ...

~

Let's talk about Chinese Hell (mythology)
Lunar Calendar July 15th is traditional Chinese Ghost Festival, or Chinese Halloween if that make things easier. Just so happen, it falls on August 21st this year. So on this wonderful Chinese Halloween's eve, I want to talk about hell in Chinese mythology.

~

• feifeis CHina link
  • Like 1