Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirit animal snake?

VerdeICe

15 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Some one told me once that mine was a bear, I would have guessed a wolf or an elk perhaps a wolverine.

American football player from Sweden....hmmmm.......offense or defense? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Some one told me once that mine was a bear, I would have guessed a wolf or an elk perhaps a wolverine.

A bear is a good Spirit animal to be. I think most people would want to the the 'real spirit of the wilderness'... the "Wolf"... Many would like it but most can't identify with it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piney said:

American football player from Sweden....hmmmm.......offense or defense? 

Defense Tackle :-) our team was as good as your second division teams in it's heydays i played from1996 to 2001in those days you could throw a tomahawk :-) 

Edited by Avalanche

31 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

Defense Tackle :-) our team was as good as your second division teams in it's heydays i played from1996 to 2001in those days you could throw a tomahawk :-) 

Bear....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

A bear is a good Spirit animal to be. I think most people would want to the the 'real spirit of the wilderness'... the "Wolf"... Many would like it but most can't identify with it.  

Curious.....Why would most people not identify with the wolf? I love wolves... most animals really but I think wolves are special and snow leopards too

3 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I think most people would want to the the 'real spirit of the wilderness'... the "Wolf"... Many would like it but most can't identify with it.  

How many wolves has this panther eaten? :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Piney said:

Clueless culture vultures making stuff up to help their ego and replace their own lack off culture. I think "whatever gets you through the day".  My grandfather thought it was funny. Many Indians are angered and offended, some could care less. 

My "aspect" is a mountain lion but that is not my "Guardian Spirit"  which is not even a animal.

"Guardian Spirits" don't necessarily come to someone as a animal. Some are personified aspects of nature. The Horned Serpent ( a river). Tree spirits, rock spirits,  healing spirits. Some are deceased relatives. Like I stated it's a thought form created from stress, hunger and the thought that you are truly exiled. Charlatans were killed pre-contact and post-contact until we had to follow American and Canadian law, but only if they declared themselves something special. But keeping Wisdom Keeping traditions in families and not taking outside students prevented this most times.

Today, anybody who claims they are a "shaman" who was taught by a Indian, isn't. It is kept strictly in families in all tribes. Especially with all the cultural distortion and theft. 

Is the wisdom keeping all done through memorization? Do all families in the tribe keep the wisdom or only certain families. How is the next keeper chosen?

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

How many wolves has this panther eaten? :rolleyes:

Panthers think wolves make good eats? Lol

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Is the wisdom keeping all done through memorization? Do all families in the tribe keep the wisdom or only certain families. How is the next keeper chosen?

Memorization and only certain families. For example the Fall Leafs are Doll Keepers and handle certain ceremonies. The Stonefishs, Mask Dance attendants. My grandparent's family, the Pierces, a little of everything depending on which branch.

Healers also "evolve" as new herbs are learned and medical discoveries made. Now most are registered nurses and trained midwives ( like my grandmother was) or field medics with EMTs ( like my grandfather who also drove a ambulance) and myself. I'm not  a healer though. I just have the basic knowledge and help out people I know. I made Ceremonial objects and was a Tribal Security Officer. I also handled objects found by archaeologists which were deemed "spiritual" or grave goods. Then I went rogue after I was shafted. 

Now I'm a evil witch doctor who makes bad things happen. At least in some peoples minds. In other's I'm just a evil man discussing things I shouldn't.  Like here. 

35 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Panthers think wolves make good eats? Lol

This one did when it came to fraudulent shaman and people who would harm children. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Memorization and only certain families. For example the Fall Leafs are Doll Keepers and handle certain ceremonies. The Stonefishs, Mask Dance attendants. My grandparent's family, the Pierces, a little of everything depending on which branch.

Healers also "evolve" as new herbs are learned and medical discoveries made. Now most are registered nurses and trained midwives ( like my grandmother was) or field medics with EMTs ( like my grandfather who also drove a ambulance) and myself. I'm not  a healer though. I just have the basic knowledge and help out people I know. I made Ceremonial objects and was a Tribal Security Officer. I also handled objects found by archaeologists which were deemed "spiritual" or grave goods. Then I went rogue after I was shafted. 

Now I'm a evil witch doctor who makes bad things happen. At least in some peoples minds. In other's I'm just a evil man discussing things I shouldn't.  Like here. 

This one did when it came to fraudulent shaman and people who would harm children. 

Tribal lore keeping sounds similar to the ancient  Celts from what I've read of them.  It makes sense that healers would evolve based on new discoveries and knowledge. No matter what is said I can't imagine you're evil. You educate people, confront the stupid and relieve people of their misconceptions from what I'm seeing.

And frauds and those who harm kids should be on the menu...serves them right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Native Americans are not the only shamans around these days, but it is critical to never ever blur the lines between trads, IMO, if only out of respect. You say "shaman" and in the west people often assume NA. There are others, they just do not have so many charlatans writing books about them and claiming to own it and teach it as the NA suffer. I do not blame them a bit for being tight and ugly about it. 

@Piney talks tough but he is one of the best people to ever have at your back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Native Americans are not the only shamans around these days, but it is critical to never ever blur the lines between trads, IMO, if only out of respect. You say "shaman" and in the west people often assume NA. There are others, they just do not have so many charlatans writing books about them and claiming to own it and teach it as the NA suffer. I do not blame them a bit for being tight and ugly about it. 

@Piney talks tough but he is one of the best people to ever have at your back.

Whoa.....please trust me that NO DISRESPECT was intended!  I just made the correlation simply because I am more familiar with the Celts as I have 3 out of 4 grandparents who were off the boat from Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  I will however be much more careful in the future.  I ask questions specifically to try and get enough knowledge to not be disrespectful of other cultures.

I fully agree with your statement about the NA and its a damn shame.

I bet he would say the same about you too!  :-)

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 6:11 AM, Piney said:

I was constantly taking night courses or going to 'talks' in my 20s and 30s and when I was in middle school I was dragging the president of the Camden County Historical Society all over the Pine Barrens and picking his brain in the summer to show him the sites and ruins he didn't know about because he ran a tour and knew half my family lived there.

Do you have any recommendations for where I could go to classes/talks/demonstrations, whatever word is the best choice, for information on the archeological finds in NJ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Do you have any recommendations for where I could go to classes/talks/demonstrations, whatever word is the best choice, for information on the archeological finds in NJ?

Rutgers for classes. Join the Archaeology Society of New Jersey for lectures, digs and demonstrations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Rutgers for classes. Join the Archaeology Society of New Jersey for lectures, digs and demonstrations. 

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2018-09-21 at 1:12 AM, Piney said:

Bear....

Bear yes I was always in hanging the heavy corner ;-) our defensive coach Gordon Kelly was the hardest person I ever got tackeled by his dad played in the NFL and my other coach is famous for making Swedens first touchdown ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1