Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Goddess of the Mist

Missing 411

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Goddess of the Mist

Hello all!

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the Missing 411 books and/or movie.  I haven't read the books yet, but have listened to many interviews with Dave Paulides, the author, regarding these really strange cases of people going missing.  Many of the missing people seem to be taken from state or national parks.  The person disappears, a search ensues for a while, then it ends often without anyone found.  If the person is found,the situation is usually really weird and makes no sense, and the person is often dead.  There are many of these cases, and for whatever reason the national park service doesn't keep a database of names of the missing.  

From what I've gathered, Paulides never comes out and actually states his own beliefs or theories as to what is happening to the missing people.  I would really like to hear some input from others who are familiar with this, as to what you think might be going on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maureen_jacobs

I have the entire collection and am trudging through the info.  It’s rather bizarre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice
Posted (edited)

Here's a link to a thread from a few years ago. I know there are more but can't find them right off hand. You may find it interesting to read through.

 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
3 hours ago, Maureen_jacobs said:

I have the entire collection and am trudging through the info.  It’s rather bizarre.

Wow!  How are the books reading so far?  The interviews with Paulides were fascinating, to say the least.  Where did you order the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
54 minutes ago, susieice said:

Here's a link to a thread from a few years ago. I know there are more but can't find them right off hand. You may find it interesting to read through.

 

Thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh

I have 'Missing 411 The Devil's in the Detail' and while some are strange he tries too hard to make them sound paranormal.

In some interviews Paulides states no human could cause these disappearances or deaths, yet some cases that have been solved and the cause was exactly that, human error or another human involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo

I'm guessing some Bears might be involved as well...and of course Big Foot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'mConvinced
9 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'm guessing some Bears might be involved as well...and of course Big Foot!

Don't be silly, there's no such thing as Bears.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Hello all!

I would like to know if anyone is familiar with the Missing 411 books and/or movie.  I haven't read the books yet, but have listened to many interviews with Dave Paulides, the author, regarding these really strange cases of people going missing.  Many of the missing people seem to be taken from state or national parks.  The person disappears, a search ensues for a while, then it ends often without anyone found.  If the person is found,the situation is usually really weird and makes no sense, and the person is often dead.  There are many of these cases, and for whatever reason the national park service doesn't keep a database of names of the missing.  

From what I've gathered, Paulides never comes out and actually states his own beliefs or theories as to what is happening to the missing people.  I would really like to hear some input from others who are familiar with this, as to what you think might be going on.  

As Riyeh has pointed out, Paulides misses off facts and twists cases.

Quote

Here's a blog from one of the largest missing person's websites on the Internet. They reviewed one of the books in 2012. They said some interesting things, like the children being found so far away. But they also point out it's never mentioned by David that two cases are thought to be serial killer victims. https://charleyross.wordpress.com/2012/03/27/read-missing-411-book/

This is another case. He never discuses the evidence of drug use at the camp or positive drug screen.http://www.firefighternation.com/article/news-2/details-autopsy-missing-california-firefighter-released

This case, a football player acting weird, while drug use was brought up it's never brought up the autopsy showed the victim had CTE, http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9550462/cullen-finnerty-died-pneumonia-had-brain-disease

Quote

I have read two of the books and they are joke. Big disappointed. I heard him on radio interview and thought he was on to something. He wants to pigeon hole everyone into believing it can only be one reason when in fact it's many different reasons why people go missing. You get the book thinking there is case after case of really strange things but once you start reading you think this is a joke

 

 

 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
16 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I have 'Missing 411 The Devil's in the Detail' and while some are strange he tries too hard to make them sound paranormal.

In some interviews Paulides states no human could cause these disappearances or deaths, yet some cases that have been solved and the cause was exactly that, human error or another human involved.

I think I need to read at least one of the books to have a better judgement.  The interviews with him are eerie to say the least...that's what kind of drew me in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Regi

 

14 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I think I need to read at least one of the books to have a better judgement. 

Each missing person case has to be considered based on it's own unique facts and circumstances and until then, an accurate conclusion to any one case isn't possible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist

I'm sure that's true...it's the "not knowing" that adds the mystery of these missing persons cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Regi
16 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I'm sure that's true...it's the "not knowing" that adds the mystery of these missing persons cases.

Sure, and that's what lends to speculation or I should say, leaves room for such.

Now, I looked at most, if not all, of those cases (actually, I looked into any cases I could find)- and as I recall, I was left leaning toward various conclusions I thought most probable in each case.

Anyway, my only comment regarding disappearances in national parks is that I'm surprised that there aren't actually more of such cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skulduggery

I prefer Rusty West's YT videos. He doesn't expound things into the fringe. There are lots of interesting cases, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maureen_jacobs

While reading his books, I can understand the reasons for the bizarre amount of occurrences.  

1.  He is correct I’m the fact that the park folks do not keep an official tally of disappearances for them.  They delegate to the local agencies and they are counted in those numbers.  That sounds fishy as a whole, but not necessarily shocking.  

2.  I feel many of the situations seem unexplainable, that being said, when one is in a certain locale (woods, park, etc), one has certain sets of circumstances that remain constant.  For example, 100 folks go to the woods.  50 get a form of reaction to the various forms of underbrush.  100 folks in Manhattan only get 1.  If you suddenly saw 60 people in Manhattan with those reactions, it would seem odd.

3.  Personally, being a casual visitor to the woods, I can state that when in a forest, park, etc, no matter where you are, you can get lost very easily due to the constant state of the area.  You see green and trees....everywhere.  Unless you are experienced in hiking etc, getting turned around is very common.  Most of these missing have been on holiday, field trips, etc.  Not you average outdoorsman/woman.

4.  The folks being found miles away unharmed, unaffected, could be for a number of reasons.  They found a place to shelter, the conditions were mild, they just kept walking until they found a way.  I’m sure that most forests are unexplored to a point.  Who knows what these people found.

5. Animals.  These people could be found by animals and dragged somewhere and left to die as the animal is startled off. For those whose remains are not found, they are simply food for the wildlife.  

6.  True instances of criminal events.  I’d say that 5% of these instances were caused by another. 

7.  It does have some hokey events, but Mr. Paulides does his best to leave up the answers or conclusions to the reader.  

My synopsis so far is good.  It does pose some unexplained events, but the actual cause is left to the reader.  I enjoyed the books and it’s healthy to think outside the box, but what I tried to do while reading them was come up with plausible real answers.  Some were unable to be rationally explained, however, it is based on your knowledge!  Books are awesome, I am constantly reading one or another.  To me, these books were a fringe subject for me and gave me a bit of distraction from the everyday grind!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NobodyknowsneitherdoI

Hi everyone, a comment in the comment section of a youtube video  led me here. This is an old topic but I'd like to  jump in and add that to my knowledge David Paulides came up with a  "laundry list" of characteristics that define and unify these cases and that's why he started moving toward a theory of a single culprit being behind them . He initially wasn't looking to identify only one culprit. He just found the common denominators .  I read many scathing comments claiming that there's something shady and exploitative  about him yet I've never sensed that in any interview of his.  He seems honest and reliable and I think people are unjust in their criticism .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
9 hours ago, NobodyknowsneitherdoI said:

Hi everyone, a comment in the comment section of a youtube video  led me here. This is an old topic but I'd like to  jump in and add that to my knowledge David Paulides came up with a  "laundry list" of characteristics that define and unify these cases and that's why he started moving toward a theory of a single culprit being behind them . He initially wasn't looking to identify only one culprit. He just found the common denominators .  I read many scathing comments claiming that there's something shady and exploitative  about him yet I've never sensed that in any interview of his.  He seems honest and reliable and I think people are unjust in their criticism .

Welcome to UM,

What you’ve described is one of the biggest issues with his claims. He draws these conclusions and connections illogically, no rational pattern. Berry bushes etc. He may believe what he claims, or he may be knowingly exaggerating/misleading.

My opinion, along with many others, is that the numbers are in no way significant. And the so called ‘best cases’ are exaggerated claims, and when you check the facts, there’s really nothing to suggest anything abnormal. 

There was another recent thread here, where myself and others asked a couple of believers for the best cases, in their opinions. And what they presented was blatantly misleading YouTube videos. They didn’t respond when we looked into the claims critically and asked for their opinion, after the fact. 

It would be good to see your opinion on what they posted, and the skeptical responses. Would you like me to find and post a link to that thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NobodyknowsneitherdoI
4 hours ago, Timothy said:

Welcome to UM,

What you’ve described is one of the biggest issues with his claims. He draws these conclusions and connections illogically, no rational pattern. Berry bushes etc. He may believe what he claims, or he may be knowingly exaggerating/misleading.

My opinion, along with many others, is that the numbers are in no way significant. And the so called ‘best cases’ are exaggerated claims, and when you check the facts, there’s really nothing to suggest anything abnormal. 

There was another recent thread here, where myself and others asked a couple of believers for the best cases, in their opinions. And what they presented was blatantly misleading YouTube videos. They didn’t respond when we looked into the claims critically and asked for their opinion, after the fact. 

It would be good to see your opinion on what they posted, and the skeptical responses. Would you like me to find and post a link to that thread?

Thanks and sure if you don't mind. I would like to see where people found illogicalities in his thinking .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
5 hours ago, NobodyknowsneitherdoI said:

Thanks and sure if you don't mind. I would like to see where people found illogicalities in his thinking .  

Here’s the most recent one: 

Also, discussions can get a bit heated here, but it’s a good community and the mods are great too. Battle of the believers and skeptics! :lol:

Edited by Timothy
Formatting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NobodyknowsneitherdoI

Thank you for the link.

I won't bother posting  there because based on reading some of the thread people are dismissing Paulides as a con artist . I agree maybe the  correlation with berries or names was faulty or ridiculous, but the rest of the profile dogs not picking up a scent trail, the missing clothing/shoes , the corpses being dumped in a lake or body of water, the intelligence spectrum he mentioned (esp.  the highly intellectual being targeted), the absent memories.  I am no scholar but I think I would've reached most of the same conclusions. The one issue is that while I know Paulides holds a graduate degree from  a University, I don't know if he has enough of a background in stats or epidemiology  and  I relied on him there.  Regardless, I do NOT think he's intentionally misleading to sell books and he's stating facts as he sees them .

Looks like this forum is dominated by skeptics.

Edited by NobodyknowsneitherdoI
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maureen_jacobs

I don’t say he is a con artist.  He believes his theories are sound.  I’m not saying he is wrong, however, I think that readers need to draw their own conclusions!

 

im happy with my set of books!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NobodyknowsneitherdoI
16 hours ago, Maureen_jacobs said:

I don’t say he is a con artist.  He believes his theories are sound.  I’m not saying he is wrong, however, I think that readers need to draw their own conclusions!

 

im happy with my set of books!

I'm glad someone doesn't  :) and I agree. Thanks for your post .

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maureen_jacobs
On 9/21/2018 at 8:52 PM, NobodyknowsneitherdoI said:

I'm glad someone doesn't  :) and I agree. Thanks for your post .

The thing is, these disappearances are very odd in nature.  I mean, Mr. Paulides does a great job of grouping the disappearances.  I think that if we kept track of missing persons in National and State Parks, I think we would get a clearer picture.  Even if they go missing and are found, it should be logged.  Having a cohesive record would serve well in the future should any remains be found.  Furthermore, having a central system can help investigators narrow down possible serial killers, cluster murders, animal attacks, etc.

 

Reqding these books I’m seeing really odd occurrences such as a child being found miles from the origination point, in the cold, in relatively good condition.  Yet you find another within a hundred yards of their disappearance with no visible marks.  Some are never found nor are any sort of remains.  Clothing, shoes, etc.  something should be found.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Regi
19 hours ago, Maureen_jacobs said:

 Some are never found nor are any sort of remains.  Clothing, shoes, etc.  something should be found.

I don't think it can be decided what "should be" before it's even determined what happened.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bavarian Raven

As someone who spends a lot of time in the woods, I thought I'd chop in. There is no mystery to "most" of these disappearances. It's very easy to get lost and die in the woods if you don't know what you are doing. And most of His conclusions are logical. People tend to gravitate to water when lost, etc etc. M

that being said, there are some cases of missing people he talks about That are weird and should be further looked into IMHO. 

 

Cheers. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.