Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home for sale, but not to trump supporters

Still Waters

A Sacramento area home is up for sale, but it comes with a catch.

The homeowner has a political preference in mind for the next owner of her house, which has been in her family for decades.

“She entertained people from all walks of life,” said the homeowner who asked we not use her name for fear of retaliation.

“I told her [the realtor] that I didn’t want her to sell it to a Trump supporter,” said the woman.

She wants a sale contingent upon how someone votes, but is that legal?

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/03/28/no-trump-buyers/

• Like 4

I don't think so.

• Like 3

It shouldn't be.  OTOH, it might be a good idea to let the prospective buyer know how strongly the neighbors feel about him and or the conservatives in government.  Why move into a neighborhood where you'd be hated?  I assume that it would be a neighborhood with mostly shared political leanings - Sacramento, after all.  Who knows.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, and then said:

It shouldn't be.  OTOH, it might be a good idea to let the prospective buyer know how strongly the neighbors feel about him and or the conservatives in government.  Why move into a neighborhood where you'd be hated?  I assume that it would be a neighborhood with mostly shared political leanings - Sacramento, after all.  Who knows.

I was thinking...what's the likelihood a Trump supporter would be moving in there anyway?

But still, you can't just decide not to sell to someone based on your perceived view of their political opinions. 

Just like you can't discriminate for other reasons. 

• Like 4

I think it's technically legal. But I can't imagine if I were buying a house and the agent asked who I voted for last election that I would tell them anything other than "None of your business.".

• Like 2

Sure, and when the only offer she gets is a Trump supporter.......SOLD

• Like 5

Every individual has the right to decide whom they like to meet and share time with. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Every individual has the right to decide whom they like to meet and share time with. 

Perhaps, but you don't have the right to decide who to sell to or not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Taun said:

Agency which does the sale for the owners might not have the right to decide to whom to sell but owners of the house can make such request and it's their right. Or government should tell us whom to like and whom we should dislike :)

6 hours ago, Taun said:

Unless they're gay, right?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Unless they're gay, right?

No, the courts said that the cake bakers in that case had no right to deny making the cake. Agree with the decision or not, it is now legal precedent.

• Like 3

I'm sure the legality of such a move could be challenged. Where I live we had such a state of affairs for many years - Estate Agents won't sell certain houses to people of the 'wrong' community lets say.

But it was easy circumvented - get someone else to front the purchase.

9 minutes ago, Taun said:

No, the courts said that the cake bakers in that case had no right to deny making the cake. Agree with the decision or not, it is now legal precedent.

I believe that the sale of private property or goods is handled quite differently than a business that is open to the general public.

If I advertise my snowblower for sale and you show up with cash in hand, I have every right to change my mind with no reason given.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Taun said:

lol, I know.  It was sarcasm, and I 100% agree with the decision.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I believe that the sale of private property or goods is handled quite differently than a business that is open to the general public.

If I advertise my snowblower for sale and you show up with cash in hand, I have every right to change my mind with no reason given.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure that real estate isn't differently handled than "equipment", "tools" or "appliances"... I honestly dont know...

• Like 1

If you ever had to deal with the traffic in Sacramento you wouldn't want to live there anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Agency which does the sale for the owners might not have the right to decide to whom to sell but owners of the house can make such request and it's their right. Or government should tell us whom to like and whom we should dislike :)

Oh, they can "request".  They just can't "demand".  In my part of the country, for MANY decades a black family had NO chance, no matter how financially well-off they were, to move into many upper-class (ironic) neighborhoods.  The laws were rightly changed to stop that kind of nastiness.  If a person lists their house on the open market, they have to sell to anyone that meets or exceeds their asking price/ time frames, unless they change their mind altogether and decide not to sell at all.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

If you ever had to deal with the traffic in Sacramento you wouldn't want to live there anyway.

I don't know, I was there in 1977 and it wasn't that bad.

An epic move would be to buy the house and after every I and T is dotted and crossed and money is exchanged at closing the buyer says thank you and puts on his MAGA hat he was hiding under his shirt and walks out the door leaving the bank and lawyers to deal with an insane liberal melting down screaming Nooooooo!!!!!! into the sky. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I don't know, I was there in 1977 and it wasn't that bad.

40 years ago there was less traffic everywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F3SS said:

40 years ago there was less traffic everywhere.

:tu:

This homeowner is making an interesting connection with material and emotions. I do not know the legality of this, but I'm sure if this was turned around the homeowner would be outraged by the discrimination 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, GoodReality said:

This homeowner is making an interesting connection with material and emotions. I do not know the legality of this, but I'm sure if this was turned around the homeowner would be outraged by the discrimination 

People like that are so full of self righteousness that they can’t perceive that what they are doing is wrong and if anybody thinks it is they’re a lowlife cretin.   I’ll bet on that.

• Like 3

I would like to make several points.

Firstly, the only thing anyone should care about when selling is the colour of peoples money.

Secondly, Private transactions are different legally to public service and sales transactions.The owner of the house (private transactor) can say what she wants to. The realator, providing services to the public should be liable for discrimination and Privacy infringements. Voting is private, nobody should have the right to ask you how you voted or to alienate you because of your choice.

Thirdly. The lady selling the house is an unhelpfull dink.

• Like 2