Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass Caravan heads towards USA

pallidin

56 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Update, apparently then, in case anyone was wondering what had happened to them: apparently they're existing in appalling conditions on America's front step and the United Nations really should step into aid their plight. :angry: 

Trump Disregards Caravan Asylum Seekers’ Legal Rights

May 7, 2018 • 4 Comments
Over-a-thousand-Hondurans-marching-to-ou

As Central Americans fleeing oppression in their countries remain stalled in appalling conditions at the U.S. border, Donald Trump ramps up the xenophobic rhetoric, reports Marjorie Cohn.

That's an amazing article, Vlad :D 

check this bit out...

...More than three-quarters of asylum claims from Hondurans, Guatemalans and Salvadorans between 2012 and 2017 were denied, according to the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University, and this year’s caravan of asylum seekers are facing a climate made even more hostile by the xenophobic Trump administration...

So when Obama rejects 75% of Hondurans etc, it's fine. But if President Trump does it, then suddenly it's xenophobic ? Double standards and TDS anyone ? :P 

Now, to the meat of it. I'm assuming that the US asylum rules are the same as the European ones ? (I believe it is an international agreement ? ). Asylum seekers have to seek asylum in the first safe country that they enter . The US (and the international community) regard Mexico as being a "safe" country. (very few Mexicans get political asylum in the US). Accordingly, by travelling through Mexico in a blaze of publicity, and never requesting asylum there, the travellers have invalidated any possible Asylum claim in the USA. 

Accordingly, they have ZERO rights for "Trump" to disregard, even if he WANTED to disregard them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

So when Obama rejects 75% of Hondurans etc, it's fine. But if President Trump does it, then suddenly it's xenophobic ? Double standards and TDS anyone ? :P 

I think its the whole insulting them and using them as political punching bag thing that leads to the charge of xenophobia. 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Accordingly, they have ZERO rights for "Trump" to disregard, even if he WANTED to disregard them. 

Mexico preemptively announced they would only give asylum to the pregnant women in the caravan. IDK what that means according to law but the majority of the caravan didn't even get the chance to apply. 

10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I think its the whole insulting them and using them as political punching bag thing that leads to the charge of xenophobia. 

I would suggest that it is  Pueblo Sin Fronteras who are using the migrants as a political football (as they have done every year since 2010), rather than President Trump treating them as a political punching bag. ? 

14 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Mexico preemptively announced they would only give asylum to the pregnant women in the caravan. IDK what that means according to law but the majority of the caravan didn't even get the chance to apply. 

They are travelling in convoy with a bunch of immigration and human rights lawyers, and not ONE of them had an opportunity to request asylum in Mexico ? That seems highly improbable, Farmer77 :) 

17 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Mexico preemptively announced they would only give asylum to the pregnant women in the caravan.

well, there's an incentive to get busy. Anchor babies.anyone? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I would suggest that it is  Pueblo Sin Fronteras who are using the migrants as a political football (as they have done every year since 2010), rather than President Trump treating them as a political punching bag. ? 

I would argue both are true. 

7 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

They are travelling in convoy with a bunch of immigration and human rights lawyers, and not ONE of them had an opportunity to request asylum in Mexico ? That seems highly improbable, Farmer77 :) 

That's not what I was saying. Mexico took the "most vulnerable" of the group only.  Mexico Says It Will Disband The Caravan, But Organizers Say Some Of Its Members Will Continue North  Mexico says it will let pregnant women and people with disabilities stay while others must leave. But caravan organizers declare victory, saying officials finally have recognized its members have the right to seek asylum.

Still, hundreds of the migrants are expected to accept Mexico's offer to allow the most vulnerable among them to stay. A federal delegate with INM who gave only his last name, Rodríguez, told BuzzFeed News that humanitarian visas would go to vulnerable groups such as pregnant women, people with disabilities, or people with chronic illnesses like HIV.

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Hmm... perhaps so Farmer77. However, at the end of the day, those imgrants have zero case for Asylum in the USA, if they had an opportunity to request asylum in Mexico, and either did not do so, or where rejected. 

Pueblo Sin Fronteras claim to be an 'immigrants rights' group, but in effect they are a political action group dedicated to the idea that Sovereign Nations should not exist. They are callously using the migrants as a weapon to promote that agenda, and putting the migrants in great danger and discomfort in doing so. 

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

mm... perhaps so Farmer77. However, at the end of the day, those imgrants have zero case for Asylum in the USA, if they had an opportunity to request asylum in Mexico, and either did not do so, or where rejected. 

How so?  I'm looking for the laws but came across US laws first, you can reapply for asylum if you're turned down, why couldn't you apply here if turned down elsewhere? 

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Pueblo Sin Fronteras claim to be an 'immigrants rights' group, but in effect they are a political action group dedicated to the idea that Sovereign Nations should not exist. They are callously using the migrants as a weapon to promote that agenda, and putting the migrants in great danger and discomfort in doing so. 

Yeah I have the ability to see past their political goals to the human interest story behind the hyperbole. Baby with the bathwater and all that.