Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheists is there life after death

bigjim36

How many atheists believe in an afterlife?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many atheists believe in an afterlife?

• Yes
    • No

First of all let me say I'm a firm atheist. I do not believe in a god or Jesus or a heaven or hell. I do however believe in ghosts and yes I have seen one before you ask. I also don't believe in psychics and mediums just to be clear. So how many atheists are there that share my beliefs? 

• Like 2

Also consider that there are religions and philosophies that do not subscribe to the "God" idea and thus could be described as "Atheist"

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Also consider that there are religions and philosophies that do not subscribe to the "God" idea and thus could be described as "Atheist"

What religions don't believe in a god? 

2 minutes ago, bigjim36 said:

Loads, Scientology, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and Ruism for examples.

• Like 5

I'm with Bigjim, I have seen a ghost.  So I don't know. I am open to the possibilities. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I'm with Bigjim, I have seen a ghost.  So I don't know. I am open to the possibilities. 

I've seen a lot of 'ghost'. Though nothing convinced me they were real.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, bigjim36 said:

Streams of Buddhism, some streams of Hinduism, Jainism, Neo-Platonics, Confucianism and Taoism,  versions of the Church of Lucifer, And apparently there are atheistic Quakers as well (hope somebody can confirm or deny that)...

Point is not every Religion does or needs to follow the God concept as it exists among the Abarahamic (and many other) religions. And that Atheist is not identical with Materialist.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I've seen a lot of 'ghost'. Though nothing convinced me they were real.

I saw what I saw, maybe it was a bleed over from another dimension.   

• Like 2

Just now, Grandpa Greenman said:

I saw what I saw, maybe it was a bleed over from another dimension.   

I saw what I've seen my entire life. I still 'see them'. 

• Like 3

Just now, XenoFish said:

I saw what I've seen my entire life. I still 'see them'. 

What do you see?   

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

What do you see?   

Them

• Like 2

Hinduism has reincarnation that can be viewed as life after death. Greeks had Hades king of the underworld. Norse had Valhalla, Folkvangr and some others. Egyptians had The Kingdom of the Dead. Many Pagan religions have an afterlife or reincarnation as part of their beliefs.  There are loads of Ahteist religions that have an afterlife most if not all are older than Christianity and Islam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

And apparently there are atheistic Quakers as well (hope somebody can confirm or deny that)...

Who me? :lol:

Yes, there are.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, joc said:

I don't believe in life after death.  It's absurd.  You die...you are dead.  Seriously...why on God's Grey Earth would we need a body...if we could live without one?  It is not just absurd...it is ridiculously absurd!

I am in your camp Joc, don't want an afterlife, I want nothingness. 

I don't believe in ghosts either. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Who me? :lol:

Yes, there are.

Indeed, one respects the tradition of their family, yet have their own opinion/input on things. My middle son is a "Catholic" Athiest these days. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

I think this is one of the best people to evaluate the question, Sean Carroll. 

The third point pertains directly to the thread title 

This one a bit longer but also addresses life after death and is really worth the watch if one is prepared to spend a little time. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I am in your camp Joc, don't want an afterlife, I want nothingness.

What exactly is your most basic idea of 'nothing'? Because the way you put it, it still sounds like something.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

8 hours ago, bigjim36 said:

First of all let me say I'm a firm atheist. I do not believe in a god or Jesus or a heaven or hell. I do however believe in ghosts and yes I have seen one before you ask. I also don't believe in psychics and mediums just to be clear. So how many atheists are there that share my beliefs? 

The problem is, most atheists are also materialists and reductionists and so obviously reject the possiblity of the continuation of human consciousness after physical death. In my opinion, such a possibility opens the door to the idea of a Higher Reality (God).

As a spiritual atheist, I'm not sure how you'd explain that.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit

2 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

What is exactly is your most basic idea of 'nothing'? Because the way you put it, it still sounds like something.

Nothing is filled with virtual particles popping into and out of existence mlions of times a second. Is dark matter 'nothing'? 

Reductionism and bad interpretation is not helping your description of nothing. It just illustrates that you don't understand science. We have known for some time that what we perceive as nothing is not devoid of all things in existence. And it's been illustrated to you many times. Your arguing from deliberate ignorance. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Clockwork_Spirit said:

The problem is, most atheists are also materialists and reductionists and so obviously reject the possiblity of the continuation of human consciousness after physical death. In my opinion, such a possibility opens the door to the idea of a Higher Reality (God).

As a spiritual atheist, I'm not sure how you'd explain that.

Ask the Jainists. Ask the neo-platonics.

From what I have learned about Jainism (and that isn't very much just what I was able to read here and there) they consider the world eternal. it was never created and there is no creator. it's a cycle of self-creation and self-destruction and re-creation. And that is mirrored in the birth, life, death and rebirth of not just the human soul but the soul of all living creatures in the whole cosmos.

So no, the idea of an eternal soul and an existence beyond the death of the body does not automatically lead to the idea of God.
Just like the idea of God or Gods does not automatically, and not always, lead to the idea of an eternal soul or an afterlife. Consider that in earliest Egyptian beliefs only the Pharaoh had an afterlife, everybody else just died, it wasn't until later that Egyptian afterlife was extended to everyone.
Consider portions of modern Judaism that belief in the Abrahamic God but do not belief in an afterlife.

• Like 3