Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Independent Sources for the existence of Jesu

danydandan

Hi All,

Recently my research and reading habit of reading religious based books brought me to a Roman Jewish historian called Titus Flavius Josrphus in his texts called Jewish Antiquities he gave snippets of information about Jesus, he also has information regarding James who is Jesus' brother and John the Baptist. These texts were all written around the same time as the gospels in the new testament.

He also has a section commonly known as testimonium flavianum which documents Jesus as wise man who visited Greeks and Jews and had followers from each camp which led to his crucification, however this has been disputed, according to my research, form as early as the 6th century.

Another interesting section writes about James as brother of Jesus the who is called Christ. This section was more to do with the High Priests at the time, Ananus, who had condemned a numbet of people to death by way of stoning, including James. James is not the focal point of this section however it gives external evidence of a prominent role for James. This can support the letters of Paul and parts of the Acts of the Apostles.

I was wondering if there any other references to Jesus that are non Christian and have been some what verfied as real? I cannot seem to find any.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Hi All,

Recently my research and reading habit of reading religious based books brought me to a Roman Jewish historian called Titus Flavius Josrphus in his texts called Jewish Antiquities he gave snippets of information about Jesus, he also has information regarding James who is Jesus' brother and John the Baptist. These texts were all written around the same time as the gospels in the new testament.

He also has a section commonly known as testimonium flavianum which documents Jesus as wise man who visited Greeks and Jews and had followers from each camp which led to his crucification, however this has been disputed, according to my research, form as early as the 6th century.

Another interesting section writes about James as brother of Jesus the who is called Christ. This section was more to do with the High Priests at the time, Ananus, who had condemned a numbet of people to death by way of stoning, including James. James is not the focal point of this section however it gives external evidence of a prominent role for James. This can support the letters of Paul and parts of the Acts of the Apostles.

I was wondering if there any other references to Jesus that are non Christian and have been some what verfied as real? I cannot seem to find any.

All those writers want to do is to realize the state of Jesus  and blank Jesus out.

@psyche101 had a link to the various Jesus's but I can't find it now. I know a man named Jesus wrote Ecclesiasticus which can only be found in the Bible used by the Anglican and Catholic Churches. (The Jerusalem Bible).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

@psyche101 had a link to the various Jesus's but I can't find it now. I know a man named Jesus wrote Ecclesiasticus which can only be found in the Bible used by the Anglican and Catholic Churches. (The Jerusalem Bible).

Neat that notification pop-up :)

This one mate :tu:

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/surfeit.htm

• Like 4

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

All those writers want to do is to realize the state of Jesus  and blank Jesus out.

What are you saying?  I'm not looking for some conspiracy theories all I was interested in was other sources.

@Piney would the link have non Christian accounts? It like to see it if you can get a hold of it. Thanks.

Just now, psyche101 said:

Thanks dude. How do you address peoples username in your posts?

• Like 1

Just now, danydandan said:

What are you saying?  I'm not looking for some conspiracy theories all I was interested in was other sources.

@Piney would the link have non Christian accounts? It like to see it if you can get a hold of it. Thanks.

He just posted it. Look up. 

Just now, danydandan said:

Use @ Then type the letters of their username

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Neat that isn't it. I don't know how to do it either........ :wacko:

Eta now I do :) thanks @Piney

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Is this the red hair blue eyed Jesus?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Neat that isn't it. I don't know how to do it either........ :wacko:

I just gave instructions. Look up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, danydandan said:

That's what it is the Bible books that Constance put together, at the end a  curse that any writer that added or took away, copy rights was all at other ancient  writings were  to.  

Edited by docyabut2

13 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So based on that link there are no direct references to a Jesus of Nazareth. But I believe that the gospels and the historian Josephus appear to be talking about the same Jesus. Is there any other Jewish historians that mention a Jesus.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

Peter Kirby's "Early Christian Writings" site is the closest free of charge thing to a comprehensive and unbiased recital of the origins literature from the first few Christian centuries.

http://earlychristianwritings.com/

The list is sorted by earliest plausibly estimated date. Each work links through to a survey of its significance, dating and so on, There are also summary articles onsite, like

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

Most of the material is from Christian sources, but the "usual suspects" from the non-Christian world are there, too (Josephus, Pliny, Tacitus and Suetonius from around the Gospel era or soon after; later non-Christian writers are even more likely than Josephus etc. to be writing about Christianity and Christians rather than about Jesus' ontological existence).

Hope that helps.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

That's what it is the Bible books that Constance put together, at the end a  curse that any writer that added or took away, copy rights was all at other writings were  to.  

I'm not understanding what you are typing. Apologises. Are you saying there was a conspiracy so other sources would not mention Jesus?

If so, why would that be it's seems counterintuitive.

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Is there any other Jewish historians that mention a Jesus.

There are Talmudic references that are alleged to be about Jesus. The usual Google search will turn that up for you.

Also, Kirby (see my earlier post) has an "early Jewish writings" site, too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Peter Kirby's "Early Christian Writings" site is the closest free of charge thing to a comprehensive and unbiased recital of the origins literature from the first few Christian centuries.

http://earlychristianwritings.com/

The list is sorted by earliest plausibly estimated date. Each work links through to a survey of its significance, dating and so on, There are also summary articles onsite, like

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

Most of the material is from Christian sources, but the "usual suspects" from the non-Christian world are there, too (Josephus, Pliny, Tacitus and Suetonius from around the Gospel era or soon after; later non-Christian writers are even more likely than Josephus etc. to be writing about Christianity and Christians rather than about Jesus' ontological existence).

Hope that helps.

Lovely!

That helps alot. It's greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

most likely :(

Funniest_Memes_jesus-was-born-in-the-middle-east_15426.jpeg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

All it is a bunch of erratic's gospels that were added like homo sexuality and marriage :o 

Your not being helpful. I simply asked for information nothing more and your posting nonsense. Either you have something of value to add or you don't, im aware I can't dictate how the conversation goes however, but don't start posting nonsense. Thanks.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

bunny-chainsaw-cute.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What I`m saying  the truths of  Josephus at Jesus`s time  was taken out.:o

Edited by docyabut2

49 minutes ago, Piney said:

Is this the red hair blue eyed Jesus?

Yes? What do you want? I'm busy.<_<

• Like 2