Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elongated Skulls / Why ?

ajfriman

6 hours ago, TheHumanDude said:

~SNIP~

And yes I am contending that ancient man with the mundane brain that it is believed that he has is incapable of building the pyramids.

There's nothing mundane about it. As seen from the following ancient humans have had the same brain structure as their modern descendants for the last 35,000 - 100,000 years. Apparently you couldn't be more wrong.

Modern humans have large and globular brains that distinguish them from their extinct Homo relatives. The
characteristic globularity develops during a prenatal and early postnatal period of rapid brain growth critical for neural
wiring and cognitive development. However, it remains unknown when and how brain globularity evolved and how it
relates to evolutionary brain size increase. On the basis of computed tomographic scans and geometricmorphometric
analyses, we analyzed endocranial casts of Homo sapiens fossils (N = 20) from different time periods. Our data show
that, 300,000 years ago, brain size in early H. sapiens already fell within the range of present-day humans. Brain shape,
however, evolved gradually within the H. sapiens lineage, reaching present-day human variation between about
100,000 and 35,000 years ago.
This process started only after other key features of craniofacial morphology appeared
modern and paralleled the emergence of behavioralmodernity as seen fromthe archeological record.Our findings are
consistent with important genetic changes affecting early brain development within the H. sapiens lineage since the
origin of the species and before the transition to the Later Stone Age and the Upper Paleolithic that mark full behavioral
modernity.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/1/eaao5961/tab-pdf

cormac

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TheHumanDude said:

And yes I am contending that ancient man with the mundane brain that it is believed that he has is incapable of building the pyramids.

I don't know about the Parthenon or Colosseum.

Well, let’s just say that while not as old as thrvpyramids, they use superior construction techniques and are verifiably made by Humans. With mundane brains.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The post above you from the Mad Hatter asked the same thing of old ParaG. See my reply #373.

Mad?

MAD?

you call me, ME, Who dreams of an army of radioactive wombats dominating and bringing peace to the globe with their laser eyes MAD!?! 

How dare you sir, the sheer gall of it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Funny my post just before this one in another thread addresses that very subject. It was about the evidence for psi based on a meta-analysis of controlled experiments studying performance against chance. Probably a subject Papa and the Hatter have done before.

The discussion is under: Ghosts, Hauntings & The Paranormal / Debunking common skeptical arguments against

Please peruse if you please. This is well outside this 'Elongated Skull' discussion.

While you’re right it’s outside the directvterms of discussion, it’s within the realms of the debate.

the gist of the argument is one side won’t accept the evidence and the other side won’t accept the methodology of the test and both sides will have ready excuses to avoid accepting the results. 

One side says “prove me wrong, but I’ll set the terms of proof” while the other says “the terms of proof are designed to never allow us to prove it”.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Harte said:

Depends on the room, I'd think.

Harte

A parent's inhabited basement does come to mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swede said:

A parent's inhabited basement does come to mind.

In that case, the probability of the extinction of critical thinking is accelerated, but the rate depends on whether said parents on occasion enter the room in question.

And, of course, on the mental faculties of the parents themselves.

Harte

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheHumanDude said:

I don't know about the Parthenon or Colosseum.

I will give you a piece of lithic material called "Cohansey quartzite" which is basically Cretaceous beach sand which is pressed into a soft stone by tectonic compression. After you figure out how to temper it into usable lithic material , read the grain and flaws in it and knap it into a usable biface you can talk about the "mundane brains" of the past.... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheHumanDude said:

Howdy. So...what, then? A remarkably advanced race of aliens traversed the expanse of the cosmos so they could come to earth and build out of...stone? And at the same time managed to leave no evidence at all of their presence. Was it the same race in Egypt, the Sudan, South America, China, and elsewhere, over thousands of year of time?

No.

• Like 3

I am going to suggest that the conehead fad occurred shortly after the period when they just stood their infant children on their heads till they were flat tops that fell out of vogue.

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

I am going to suggest that the conehead fad occurred shortly after the period when they just stood their infant children on their heads till they were flat tops that fell out of vogue.

jmccr8

You forgot the short phase in between where they consumed too much corn beer and dropped them on their heads.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

You forgot the short phase in between where they consumed too much corn beer and dropped them on their heads.

Tiswin is some wretched dreck. It's better used for mash to make good whiskey.....

• Like 2

On 4/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, Harte said:

In that case, the probability of the extinction of critical thinking is accelerated, but the rate depends on whether said parents on occasion enter the room in question.

And, of course, on the mental faculties of the parents themselves.

Harte

Chuckle! Undefined variables? Difficult equation.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

Chuckle! Undefined variables? Difficult equation.

If the basement is still occupied, the parents' mental faculties are very questionable. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 3

Does said basement contain other possible sources of critical thinking?

Perhaps a parrot, or an octopus?

Harte

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Harte

In the last fringe video I watched by such dweller, the basement was filled with cat houses. :o

• Haha 1

Didn't even know cats had houses.

How much is a cat mortgage?

Harte

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Harte said:

Didn't even know cats had houses.

How much is a cat mortgage?

Harte

Hi Harte

Doing cat mortgages is real mice work.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 2

Decadent pleasure palaces! And look how all that ease has turned the tabby churlish and surly.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

Decadent pleasure palaces! And look how all that ease has turned the tabby churlish and surly.

--Jaylemurph

How dare yuo suggest hat the Felis Regis are anything but NATURALLY churlish and surly.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

How dare yuo suggest hat the Felis Regis are anything but NATURALLY churlish and surly.

I certainly would never argue the point!

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

On 4/28/2018 at 4:31 AM, Harte said:

Harte

Rattus norvegicus ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

Dem rats is smart.

hahah - there is that sense of humor. 

Ratex is the answer.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:35 PM, kmt_sesh said:

Dem rats is smart.

Chuckle! Quite so. One could reasonably speculate that problem solving ability is associated with some manner of critical thinking. Which results a number of less than flattering comparisons.

• Like 4