Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beliefs (Yours, Theirs, and Mine)

Jodie.Lynne

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, Rooster202 said:

I am thirty three years old and I really am trying to find God as of today could somebody help with the direction I should go in as I am not the person who I want to be i go on self destruction mode all the time I. E. Drugs and alcohol and I can't seem to stop  I want and need to do this so I can be a better person for my family and people in general. 

I sincerely hope that you find the help and strength you need. Besides a spiritual path, I would also recommend groups such as AA to help. Also, your doctor should be able to assit you in finding therapy groups. If your drug addiction is severe, he/she may also be able to prescribe meds to help wean you off the hard stuff.

Good luck to you

• Like 1

Okay, my view is that God exists.  God. <-  There it is.  You know what I mean when I say God.  You can choose to "believe" or "not believe".  At a minimum it is an idea.  Ideas can be more real than the chair you're sitting on.  For me it's not about belief or non-belief or whatever.  I know.  I don't believe in God or not believe in God.  I just "know".  I don't expect praying to God to work necessarily, and if it does work I'm more inclined to put it down to psychological tendencies and anomalies of probability or whatever.  I don't believe in necessarily going by any particular supposition of any particular religion, philosophy or opinion, unless it makes sense to me in some manner.  Or strikes some nerve.  Where I am open to it.

I see Xeno talking about "going by your own strength".  What if you're weak and know you're not strong?  What if you're strong and reach the limits and know you've reach your limits?  What if there's someone "stronger than you" that makes you feel weak?  What if you stand "in the greatness" of another human who is combative towards you?  The "abstraction" (if you want to think of it that way) that is "God" removes these limits.  It takes the gravity of the "light" shun upon us off of our beings.

In many ways I'm "selfish" and strive for the greatness of my own being.  I can't achieve the upper echelons of who and what I am if I take the limit of who and what I am now.  If, however, I see myself in the light of the eyes of God the stratospheres my being can reach goes beyond any intrinsic limit I could imagine or expect for and of myself.  It's not easy to "see" this and it's not easy to "abide" by this however it seems like something that's "obviously true" to me.

1.  God is greater than I am but not in any way that subordinates or induces inferiority within my perception of self.  It's a call to greatness, the best, the highest, the good, the virtuous, continually.  I can't "see" the end of the road due to the reality of God to my mind.  It's always forward.  It's always towards the best.  I am by no means perfect however this is what I continually abide by, consciously or subconsciously, even if I fall off the band wagon or things go sour somehow there's always light or a change of perspective or a manner to see the silver lining or whatever.  Even when things are completely black this "knowing" is an "absolute" of sorts.  Like a meta concept of many other sub-concepts.

2.  God is external to me.  This is something I realised ages ago.  The only thing I believe that requires faith is that there exists an objective reality.  I.e, that there is something beyond myself.  This goes into a philosophical discussion, that of solipsism.  I "have faith" that there is something beyond myself.

Some might say "you do this by virtue of your own being".  This is fine.  By my own being I state 1. There is something beyond me.  2.  It is greater than I.  If I could "believe" or "choose to pick" what this is, i.e "the absolute upper limit of that which is best" then God is the only candidate.  Not myself, not by "virtue of my own being" or "the strength by which I stand as supported by the rest of humanity" for that thing is limited and frail and fragile in an absolute sense should it choose to abide by the magnificence of its own state of existence.  It easily surpasses this self limiting aspect through appeal to the abstract, at a minimum.  This seems "logically obvious" to me.  It takes a bit of introspection and honest appraisal striving towards that which is most meaningful to one to "see" the "logical obviousness" of what looks like "truths".  Hell is a bottomless pit however and I believe that many need the aid of their fellow humans to be hoisted out of that pit.  Whether or not they believe in God.  Myself included.  I sure as hell would not be where I am now if it wasn't for the aid of many wonderful humans.  I wouldn't be able to make use of their aid if I didn't have this sense of "knowing" with me either.  Aid comes to all.  Do what is meaningful and deal with what comes to you with your heart open.

Edited by PsiSeeker