Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beliefs (Yours, Theirs, and Mine)

Jodie.Lynne

On 4/3/2018 at 4:20 AM, Lilly said:

Belief is a choice when knowing is not an option. 

When Einstein lay dying someone asked him what he most wanted to know. This was his answer: "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are mere details". We live among the details, looking though a glass darkly unable to know the ultimate truth of the Universe. 

So, you can choose to believe or not to believe regarding God...because knowing is simply not an option. 

Is it really a choice?

I can't wake up tomorrow and decide to suddenly believe in the invisible pink unicorn. 

I might wish that it was real, but I can't decide just to believe in it. 

I either believe in it, or I don't. 

• Like 3

I think most people believe in God or at least the possibility of God because that's how they were raised.

There are some who had something pushed on them, and then go the opposite direction, but often deep down beliefs are instilled early on. 

Then again, believing in the possibility of God is not actually the same thing as believing God exists. 

There could be barriers to making that leap. 

A person might be able to say the words, I believe, but they might not be able to feel it in their heart. 

• Like 1

Technically speaking, the blame game is just another standing ovation of one hands clapping vigorously ...

~

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

There is part in Quran which relates (as i see it) to reply given by Mohammad PBUH to idoltary belief followers, regarding their offer about practice of religions.

“The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Bible] and the pagans shall burn for ever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures.” Quran 98:6

“God’s curse be upon the infidels! Evil is that for which they have bartered away their souls. To deny God’s own revelation, grudging that He should reveal His bounty to whom He chooses from among His servants! They have incurred God’s most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits the unbelievers.” Quran 2:89-2:90

“Lord…Give us victory over the unbelievers.” Quran 2:286

“Lord…give us victory over the unbelievers.” Quran 3:147

“I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers.” Quran 8:12

“Let not the unbelievers think they will ever get away. They have not the power so to do. Muster against them all the men and cavalry at your command, so that you may strike terror into the enemy of Allah and your enemy…” Quran 8:59-60

“When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them.” Quran 9:5

“Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate.” Quran 9:73

“Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them. Know that God is with the righteous.” Quran 9:123

“Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another…” Quran 5:51

“He that chooses a religion over Islam, it will not be accepted from him and in the world to come he will be one of the lost.” Quran 3:85

“Let not believers make friends with infidels in preference to the faithful – he that does this has nothing to hope for from Good – except in self-defense. God admonishes you to fear Him: for to God shall all return.” Quran 3:28

“Garments of fire have been prepared for the unbelievers. Scalding water shall be poured upon their heads, melting their skins and that which is in their bellies. They shall be lashed with rods of iron.

“Whenever, in their anguish, they try to escape from Hell, back they shall be dragged, and will be told: ‘Taste the torment of the Conflagration!'” Quran 22:19-20

“Muhammad is God’s apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another.” Quran 48:29

“Those that deny Our revelations We will burn in fire. No sooner will their skins be consumed than We shall give them other skins, so that they may truly taste the scourge. God is mighty and wise.” Quran 4:56

“Believers, know that the idolaters [non-Muslims] are unclean. Let them not approach the Sacred Mosque after this year is ended.” Quran 9:28

13 hours ago, intoyoulikeatrain said:

Doesn't sound like you went all the way. How deep do you think you'd gone into it? Are you known to give up easily? Did you stop cos you didn't get a wish? What have you done for Christianity that's out of the ordinary when you called yourself a Christian? What would bring you back to it?

Nothing because I’ve come to believe that if God exists then he is good.  Since I understand what good is, I know it’s nothing to fear.

• Like 1

It’s this simple philosophy that has freed me.  But it was not simple to arrive at this conclusion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guyver said:

Nothing because I’ve come to believe that if God exists then he is good.  Since I understand what good is, I know it’s nothing to fear.

He ..? She ..?  May be, Energy or Entity or Emotion ...lols .. Atamarie Guyver, hope you are well .. 

Yes ..!! All that is Good in its Purest Essence, Is not Something To Fear .. If anything, Fear no longer exists, .. From my experiences , and beliefs.. I feel a Creator exists, I sense the more Refined Energies that Exist within this Realm .. And ... I Listen, I Do Not Doubt Myself .. 

This Refined Energies, of Higher Frequencies, Is For Good .. Helping of Humanity, Wisdom, Truths and Understandings .. 

Fear in its Negative Form doesn't exist here .. Only Learning and Growth .. And its Purely a Personal Thing .. I also agree  with the OP, if it cause No Harm ,to self or others,  then All the Best to ya ..

Peace to you and yours ..

Mo..xx

14 hours ago, MauriOra said:

He ..? She ..?  May be, Energy or Entity or Emotion ...lols .. Atamarie Guyver, hope you are well .. 

Yes ..!! All that is Good in its Purest Essence, Is not Something To Fear .. If anything, Fear no longer exists, .. From my experiences , and beliefs.. I feel a Creator exists, I sense the more Refined Energies that Exist within this Realm .. And ... I Listen, I Do Not Doubt Myself .. 

This Refined Energies, of Higher Frequencies, Is For Good .. Helping of Humanity, Wisdom, Truths and Understandings .. 

Fear in its Negative Form doesn't exist here .. Only Learning and Growth .. And its Purely a Personal Thing .. I also agree  with the OP, if it cause No Harm ,to self or others,  then All the Best to ya ..

Peace to you and yours ..

Mo..xx

Peace also with you. I agree with you.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guyver said:

Peace also with you. I agree with you.    

Peace in the Light to you and yours Mr Guyver ..

Thankyou Sir .. 

Mo ..xx

On 4/3/2018 at 7:20 AM, Lilly said:

Belief is a choice when knowing is not an option. 

When Einstein lay dying someone asked him what he most wanted to know. This was his answer: "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are mere details". We live among the details, looking though a glass darkly unable to know the ultimate truth of the Universe. 

So, you can choose to believe or not to believe regarding God...because knowing is simply not an option. 

That was so beautiful Lilly.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, preacherman76 said:

You guys are going to hell. lol JK :)

My husband and I just watched this movie based on a true story of this Pastor.  He told his congregation that God spoke to him...it was after he'd been taking in a news program about people in Africa that  where being killed,genocide. This preacher was very emotional ...he was concerned that they were not saved  before they died...that they haven't accepted Yeshua .. . he became angry towards  God  ...That's when he said he heard God speak to him saying... "what do you think we're just sucking them down into hell"? ...God said to him that "they are not in hell ...they are with me".  

eta

It became a big problem for him...He was asked to redact his claims ...he lost many members.

Edited by Ellapennella
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 1:27 PM, JMPD1 said:

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct group for this post. If not, Mods please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

For the record, let me state that I am an atheist. I have not seen nor heard sufficient evidence for me to believe that God, gods, Great Spirits, or other deities exist. And that any tales of such beings indicate the nature of said deities. All the myths I have heard/read/studied seem very human-like to me. That does NOT, however, preclude the fact that I may be mistaken. and if, at some time, evidence is presented to me that overwhelmingly proves that such celestial creatures are fact, then I will change my opinion.

As to others beliefs, I say "If your belief (or religion) brings you comfort and peace, then it is the right belief (or religion) for you. But not necessarily for me." I am quite happy to let you practice your faith and live your life as you will.

But, if your beliefs cause you to marginalize others, I will oppose you.

If your religion teaches you to hate others, I will stand with the hated in defiance.

If your faith tells you to deny others their rights, I will fight you to my last breath.

If you try to legislate your beliefs, imposing your rules on others, I will vote against you.

If, after telling me your god is 'beyond the understanding of men' you then try to tell me that YOU know what god wants, I will laugh at you and call you liar.

We are each of us, searching for answers. If the answers you have received bring harm to even one person, then that answer is false. IF faith & religion are human necessities, then in a perfect world, we should be able to take the very best that the varied faiths have to offer and discard the hateful parts. Perhaps each belief system has within itself, a kernel of truth. Maybe, they all have a piece of the whole ideology that would bring peace to our world. But sad to say, my observance has been that all religions are false. For if there truly was a creator being, then the message to all "faiths" would be the same.

Discuss

All good and true up to a point 

When humans come to live in societies, they have to trade off many things like absolute rights to behave as you wish 

So I dont want you fighting for someones right to do something which causes me harm 

And while i dont approve of hate and don't construct that concpet myself (i haven't ever hated anyone or anything in my entire adult life)  there are some things which are wrong and unacceptable For example you say you will stand withe hated against the hater But what if the hated is a pedophile, rapist, abuser etc 

Nothing is quite as simple or clear cut as it first appears, when it comes to human beings 

For example i would argue that sometimes your faith might justifiably allow you to deny another what the y saw as their right  CAn you ethically be compelled to do something you strongly disgree with   becsue another sees it as their right to have you do this  Eg can a doctor be compelled to perform an abortion when his conscience opposes it ? (the answer varies. In Australia NO,  but they must recommend another doctor who might  carry out the abortion 

Do i have right to eject people behaving in ways they find acceptable but i do not from my home such as swearing  ? yes.

Do businesses? Sometimes, but  sometimes not. 

On 22/04/2018 at 12:45 AM, ChaosRose said:

Is it really a choice?

I can't wake up tomorrow and decide to suddenly believe in the invisible pink unicorn. 

I might wish that it was real, but I can't decide just to believe in it. 

I either believe in it, or I don't. 

yes you can. 

You are just too sensible to do so :) 

1 minute ago, Mr Walker said:

yes you can. 

You are just too sensible to do so :) 

That's the thing though.

If I'm too sensible, then I can't. 

So ultimately, if there is a God, then does it make people too sensible to believe in it...and then punishes them for it? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

That's the thing though.

If I'm too sensible, then I can't. 

So ultimately, if there is a God, then does it make people too sensible to believe in it...and then punishes them for it? 

If  you are sensible enough not to believe, then you must be sensible enough not to fear the punishment from  something you don't believe in :) 

Cant really blame god.  Whether it exists or not, its your choice to believe or disbelieve. 

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

All good and true up to a point 

When humans come to live in societies, they have to trade off many things like absolute rights to behave as you wish 

So I dont want you fighting for someones right to do something which causes me harm 

And while i dont approve of hate and don't construct that concpet myself (i haven't ever hated anyone or anything in my entire adult life)  there are some things which are wrong and unacceptable For example you say you will stand withe hated against the hater But what if the hated is a pedophile, rapist, abuser etc 

Nothing is quite as simple or clear cut as it first appears, when it comes to human beings 

For example i would argue that sometimes your faith might justifiably allow you to deny another what the y saw as their right  CAn you ethically be compelled to do something you strongly disgree with   becsue another sees it as their right to have you do this  Eg can a doctor be compelled to perform an abortion when his conscience opposes it ? (the answer varies. In Australia NO,  but they must recommend another doctor who might  carry out the abortion 

Do i have right to eject people behaving in ways they find acceptable but i do not from my home such as swearing  ? yes.

Do businesses? Sometimes, but  sometimes not. 

Ya know, sometimes I think that you strive to be an a$$. In all my posts, I try to stress the concept of 'do as ye will, and it harms none.'

HARMS NONE.

Let me repeat that for the dense of mind:

HARMSNONE.  

And if you think, for one nano second that I would defend a pedophile or rapist, or abuser, then you truly are one sorry, ego-besotted, delusional , "rhymes-with-trick" individual. Whether you deliberately try to mis-interpret a statement, or if you genuinely believe that I would stand with the animals that prey on the innocent, I've had enough of you.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

If  you are sensible enough not to believe, then you must be sensible enough not to fear the punishment from  something you don't believe in :) 

Cant really blame god.  Whether it exists or not, its your choice to believe or disbelieve. 

Walker

You don't believe in the Christian god so what punishment does your god squeeze you by the nuts with?

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Walker

You don't believe in the Christian god so what punishment does your god squeeze you by the nuts with?

jmccr8

None.  Given that  it is a physical being at times,  that would be a painful experience :) 

All actions, and even thoughts, have consequences, with different ones having difernt consequences.  My god helps me chose wisely  (although i still sometimes do not) so that i avoid bad consequences and gain positive ones 

My point was that, where a person really does not believe in a god, then surely the y cannot be worried by any outcomes not believing in that god might cause.  I mean, i have no fears that the flying spaghetti monster will scald me in bolognaisse  sauce if i don't believe in it

The problem is, especially with religions taught from early  childhood, that some people say the y don't believe, but can't get rid of some of the belief- based fears engrained in childhood  

22 hours ago, JMPD1 said:

Ya know, sometimes I think that you strive to be an a$$. In all my posts, I try to stress the concept of 'do as ye will, and it harms none.'

HARMS NONE.

Let me repeat that for the dense of mind:

HARMSNONE.  

And if you think, for one nano second that I would defend a pedophile or rapist, or abuser, then you truly are one sorry, ego-besotted, delusional , "rhymes-with-trick" individual. Whether you deliberately try to mis-interpret a statement, or if you genuinely believe that I would stand with the animals that prey on the innocent, I've had enough of you.

And  I  tried to explain in MY post that, while that is a great, simple principle it just does not work in practice, especially in a community of human beings  

One of the great philosophers said something along the lines of  " My, rights begin to cease, when they begin to take away from  anothers' rights "

The trick is finding a balance of rights within large and complex communities. 

My playing music might take away from anothers right to peace and quiet. My burning a wood fire might take away form anothers right to clean air My catching too many fish might take away form another the right to also catch some fish   My right to drink might affect another's safety on the roads, or in a public place, or more subtly might affect me by increasing medical costs and thus the taxes and levies I pay to support our universal health system 

No i dont think you would defend those people. it was a case of using the most extreme examples to make a point.    The problem is, where you draw the line, and whom you see as legitimate targets of hate and whom to be genuine victims of it  .  Eg how about a wedding cake maker who simply cannot bring herself to make a cake for a gay couple, or an arranged marriage, or a case where she knows the husband to be is an abuser?   Should the law compel her or him to make the cake despite their own strongly held values and moralities ? Can/ should the law compel parents to vaccinate children, no matter how strong and genuine their fears of vaccination might be Should all lIve sheep export be banned, despite the harm this wilL do to farmers and others, because others genuinely feel for the welfare of the sheep   The problem is that all the answers depend on individual beliefs and ethics/values,  not on basic universal or common ones. 

Edited by Mr Walker

46 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

And  I  tried to explain in MY post that, while that is a great, simple principle it just does not work in practice, especially in a community of human beings  

One of the great philosophers said something along the lines of  " My, rights begin to cease, when they begin to take away from  anothers' rights "

The trick is finding a balance of rights within large and complex communities. 

My playing music might take away from anothers right to peace and quiet. My burning a wood fire might take away form anothers right to clean air My catching too many fish might take away form another the right to also catch some fish   My right to drink might affect another's safety on the roads, or in a public place, or more subtly might affect me by increasing medical costs and thus the taxes and levies I pay to support our universal health system 

No i dont think you would defend those people. it was a case of using the most extreme examples to make a point.    The problem is, where you draw the line, and whom you see as legitimate targets of hate and whom to be genuine victims of it  .  Eg how about a wedding cake maker who simply cannot bring herself to make a cake for a gay couple, or an arranged marriage, or a case where she knows the husband to be is an abuser?   Should the law compel her or him to make the cake despite their own strongly held values and moralities ? Can/ should the law compel parents to vaccinate children, no matter how strong and genuine their fears of vaccination might be Should all lIve sheep export be banned, despite the harm this wilL do to farmers and others, because others genuinely feel for the welfare of the sheep   The problem is that all the answers depend on individual beliefs and ethics/values,  not on basic universal or common ones. 

You know MW, I have every confidence that Joe knows the law, if I remember correctly he was a public servant. 

He simply stated that he has no issue with religion as long as it does no harm and if it does he will speak up, he specified the points that would concern him. 

Try and relax MW, you don't need to create extreme examples to make a point over every single post it only causes conflict, it doesn't lead to quality conversation and I am certain deep down you want quality exchanges. IMHO

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

You know MW, I have every confidence that Joe knows the law, if I remember correctly he was a public servant. 

He simply stated that he has no issue with religion as long as it does no harm and if it does he will speak up, he specified the points that would concern him. 

Try and relax MW, you don't need to create extreme examples to make a point over every single post it only causes conflict, it doesn't lead to quality conversation and I am certain deep down you want quality exchanges. IMHO

The problem is that people make basic simple motherhood statements  of principles, with no evidence that the y have actually thought through how such  a principle might be put into practice.

I wasn't commenting on the law as much as how it is really not possible to ensure one does no harm in a complex human society.  Often in helping one person or cause wedo harm to another  

I thought you had studied philosophy and logic ? The way to make a point, which is not obvious or clear when you use common or middle of the road examples, is to test the principle by seeing how it works at the edges ie in extreme cases 

If it is a sound principle, then  it should work fairly well even under extreme conditions   This is a classical form of logical argument, not an attempt to inflame passions. In philosophy, and especially in logic and ethics, one is often asked to test a principle or hypothesis by subjecting it to extreme examples  Only then can we see if it really is a workable proposition as many propositions seem reasonable if not stressed.   

Matthew 7 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

Judging Others

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

Profaning the Holy

“Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you.

Ask, Search, Knock

“Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! 12 So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.

The Narrow Gate

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy,[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

A Tree and Its Fruit

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. 18 A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus you will know them by their fruits.

Concerning Self-Deception

21 “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

Hearers and Doers

24 “Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; 25 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. 26 And every one who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house upon the sand; 27 and the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell; and great was the fall of it.”

• Thanks 2

I have to admit that the feckwit has a point. Technically. If I buys good from a small local shop rather than a big nation-wide chain store, then technically I am 'harming' the big store by depriving them of a sale.  

However, most reasonable, non-pedantic people will recognize that the phrase 'harm none' means to not knowingly cause damage by one's actions. 

• Like 2

But perhaps, my original post was unclear. If so, that is my fault and I will clarify.

As to others beliefs, I say "If your belief (or religion) brings you comfort and peace, then it is the right belief (or religion) for you. But not necessarily for me." I am quite happy to let you practice your faith and live your life as you will.

The above should be self-explanatory. Practice your faith, allow your beliefs to ease your path through life.

But, if your beliefs cause you to marginalize others, I will oppose you.

"Gays & Lesbians shouldn't be able to be married, call it something else!"  Is a prime example of marginalizing others because of your beliefs. 

If your religion teaches you to hate others, I will stand with the hated in defiance.

"Muslims are bad! Christians are bad! Whites are bad! Blacks are bad!" If the interpretations of your faith tell you that others are unworthy, or evil then your interpretation is wrong and I will stand with those you hate.

If your faith tells you to deny others their rights, I will fight you to my last breath.

"Transpeople shouldn't serve in the military! Blacks & whites shouldn't get married! Queers should be executed!"  I really don't have to explain this one, do I?

If you try to legislate your beliefs, imposing your rules on others, I will vote against you.

We see this one all the time in the U.S., bigots, racists, and homophobes hiding behind the flag and "God's Word" to spread their own petty hateful agendas. Peddling superstition under the guise of pseudo science. For further, look up the rulings of the Texas Education board.

If, after telling me your god is 'beyond the understanding of men' you then try to tell me that YOU know what god wants, I will laugh at you and call you liar.

Another obviously self-explanatory paradox. One we see on these forums on a daily basis. God-lovvers who say that we cannot possibly know what god is, but here, let me tell you what god wants.........

And, in all of the above, no where, in no way, shape or form do I state or imply that those who violate the rights or lives of others are worthy of special treatment.

Furthermore, I will go on record to state that pedophiles, rapists, arsonists, and those who murder (for personal gain or "kicks") set themselves outside of the boundaries of society. It is my personal belief that they then deserve no protections or benefits of that society and should be put down like rabid dogs.

As for those who should to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated should have their license to drive permanently revoked the first time they are caught. And if, by their stupid and careless actions they take a life, please refer to my comment about murderers.  

And before that last statement causes a furball, if a person chooses to get behind the wheel while intox, then they have shown a reckless disregard for the wellbeing and safety of others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

The problem is that people make basic simple motherhood statements  of principles, with no evidence that the y have actually thought through how such  a principle might be put into practice.

I wasn't commenting on the law as much as how it is really not possible to ensure one does no harm in a complex human society.  Often in helping one person or cause wedo harm to another  

I thought you had studied philosophy and logic ? The way to make a point, which is not obvious or clear when you use common or middle of the road examples, is to test the principle by seeing how it works at the edges ie in extreme cases 

If it is a sound principle, then  it should work fairly well even under extreme conditions   This is a classical form of logical argument, not an attempt to inflame passions. In philosophy, and especially in logic and ethics, one is often asked to test a principle or hypothesis by subjecting it to extreme examples  Only then can we see if it really is a workable proposition as many propositions seem reasonable if not stressed.   

Well this idea is not working in this context, your style causes division and conflict for you. Haven’t you noticed this? Perhaps it worked in the context of a fifties classroom, not so good here, sometimes what works in one scenario doesn’t work in another. Hence the need for reflective judgment and the need to adapt to your environment. Come on you were  a teacher you know this.

And often your style makes it seems as if you lack in empathy. Just my two cents. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2