Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Gun Grab Begins

OverSword

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Did I point a finger?  I think it's fine if British people don't want legalized firearms.  I don't get it and it disturbs me that it's barely legal to even defend yourself and that, that doesn't even seem to bother you but it's not my fight.  I don't have a problem with you guys having royalty and don't think it applies to the American gun issue at all at this point.

I wasn't pointing a finger your way either OS.

Others clearly were jabbing their digits around though.

As to defending ourselves, there are issues, just as guns are an issue in the States, whether you are for or against the 2nd.

My own personal opinion is that common sense lies somewhere between both our systems. Everyone should have the guaranteed right to defend themselves and their family. I don't even care about what is considered reasonable force, as citizens shouldn't have to make that call when someone is confronting them with criminal intent.

My point was that taking a bunch of one-sided fringe stories and painting a picture of an entire nation is ridiculous. For example, this was making MSM news last month:

Hither Green 'burglar' stabbing: Man, 78, arrested

"A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a suspected burglar was stabbed to death."

Shock! Horror! How could this happen in Britain!?

What the MSM outlets barely covered - I had to find a local London source - was the follow up to the story:

Richard Osborn-Brooks: Pensioner not facing charges over death of 'burglar' stabbed to death in home

"Police said 'no further action' will be taken against the 78-year-old."

MSM paints the picture it wants to paint, to whatever suits their agenda.

There's also many other angles, for example London is another planet compared most parts of the country. Comparing anything in London; crime, ethnic mix, housing costs, etc. to the rest of Britain is like comparing a leafy suburb of Nantucket to life in California - apples and oranges.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I've been following that story. I feel so bad for the couple that had leave their home, of so many years, and go into a safe house

25 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

What the MSM outlets barely covered - I had to find a local London source - was the follow up to the story:

Am I mistaken or weren’t there vigils for the burglar and all kinds of outrage about his death? That the old man was arrested wasn’t as shocking as the lunacy in support of the burglar.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Am I mistaken or weren’t there vigils for the burglar and all kinds of outrage about his death? That the old man was arrested wasn’t as shocking as the lunacy in support of the burglar.

The tributes, vigils and outrage came from the burglar's family, who were at odds with local residents that supported Osborn-Brooks.

Distasteful, given the circumstances, but they were family I guess *shrugs*

They were also party of the "travelling community." If you aren't familiar with that term in the US, politely put they are the nomadic ethnic minority. Not so politely put, they are dodgy, unemployed, often criminal, gypsies.

Council workers FINALLY tear down vigil to dead burglar six days after it first appeared after family and friends today leave 'you'll be missed' balloons, flowers and placards outside hero OAP's home

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

Richard Osborn-Brooks: Pensioner not facing charges over death of 'burglar' stabbed to death in home

MSM paints the picture it wants to paint, to whatever suits their agenda.

In fact MSM did cover this- it was definitely on the BBC news front page, its own article and everything. Couple of newspapers ran it front page as well, though as far as I could see they were trying to claim credit for freeing him, as though their faux outrage had anything at all to do with it. 

3 hours ago, Torchwood said:

In fairness we can own firearms legally.

Oh pl:rolleyes:ease. Your version of legally owned firearms seems ridiculously limited to we Yanks 

22 hours ago, Torchwood said:

You could produce a damn near identical list of links for things happening in the US.  But nobody is trying to claim either country is some kind of Utopia.

No, you couldn't. We have a Constitution to protect us from Orwellian tyrants.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LV-426 said:

So all the stories I read about US school shootings define your country then do they? Your nation cares more about guns than children?

I'd guess not, as I have a degree of common sense.

I try to avoid getting involved in the gun debate, as I respect your nation. Having only been a visitor, I don't believe that its my place, or that I have enough knowledge to get too involved.

Tell me, do you think you know my country better than I do?

That makes no sense. The news stories, that I mention, are facts that can be adequately judged in context. For instance, a man indeed was charged and tried because he taught a dog how to "be a canine Nazi". On the other hand, you're putting your own spin on our shootings.

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

That makes no sense. The news stories, that I mention, are facts that can be adequately judged in context. For instance, a man indeed was charged and tried because he taught a dog how to "be a canine Nazi". On the other hand, you're putting your own spin on our shootings.

It makes sense. There are several nations with travel advisories on the US due to our violent and racist police culture. Surely you can see how headlines drove that right?  I think that's the point LV was making about our impression of the UK in these types of stories. We just see the sensational. 

8 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

It makes sense. There are several nations with travel advisories on the US due to our violent and racist police culture. Surely you can see how headlines drove that right?  I think that's the point LV was making about our impression of the UK in these types of stories. We just see the sensational. 

BS>///////

Just wait until you need a cop.

7 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

BS>///////

Just wait until you need a cop.

Dude you need to read the rest of the post before responding. In the very next sentence I said "surely you can see how headlines drove that" and later "we only see the sensational" 

I was not saying all cops are violent or racist, quite the opposite actually

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Yes, it is a fact that the guy was fined for the Nazi dog YouTube video.

I don't know if you read my posts... I guess not, as I totally agreed with you on the importance of freedom of speech and thought. I even made a point of emphasizing my respect for the way such things are handled within the US constitution.

What I don't agree with is this notion you have that this is the British way of life, that we're all cowering under an oppressive system. This was an isolated case. It's something that shouldn't be ignored, but talking it up like we're living in 1984 already is utter nonsense.

It's the same with a lot of issues you proclaim. All this talk of Muslim rape gangs and government kidnapping of children... to put it bluntly is paranoid BS!

We're a nation of 65 million people. There are criminals, miscarriages of justice, and all manner of crap that we need to address, just as there is in the States. Or are you going to tell me that you don't have similar issues with crime, drugs, gangs, political correctness gone mad, etc.?

Pretty sure that would be a no given the amount of threads that pop up on here in the US political section concerning these very issues.

You need to listen to someone that has been a Brit for the best part of fifty years, one who shares your values - hard to believe with how we're arguing here - and one who is admittedly pretty pro-American. Which is probably why it p***es me off so much when I see my country being unfairly dissed from across The Pond :angry:

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 5

Oh so that's the argument is it, because Youtube overreacted to some silly video the UK is an oppressive police state and therefore everyone ought to carry a gun to defend themselves from the State. Well, um, what country is the home of Political Correctness? Which country has mainstream media that can shut down dissent by simply freezing it out ("dissent" now meaning any arguments in support of the current President :wacko:).

On 04/05/2018 at 11:37 PM, Paranormal Panther said:

It's disappointing and discouraging because some of our best ideas and best institutions came from the UK. It's hard to respect people who are willing subjects to tyrants. I don't use the word loosely. There are examples of what objective outsiders would classify as tyranny. The authorities kidnap children from parents who are deemed "too dumb" or "too old". They prevent parents from taking their dying child to a foreign facility that might help him. They fine a YouTube celebrity for a tasteless prank that these nuts define as a hate crime.

It's hard to construct a rational reply to such a bizarre outburst. Are you really trying to argue that the UK is a uniquely oppressive tyranny? Really? Have you looked at some of the things the US Government and its many and various agencies have done to its own citizens and those in countries all around the world, and you're carefully selecting one or two stories that have been in the news (and have probably got rather garbled in the process), which prove that the UK is an absolute monarchy rather like Saudi Arabia, and it was only allowed to become that way because the People were prohibited from having guns? So how does that fit the argument that the US owes its freedom to allowing gun ownership, if that oppression emanates from an absolute monarchy and the US, as has been explained, has checks and balances to ensure that Tyranny can never arise? Many countries, probably nearly except perhaps Putin's Russia (pause to spit) have laws about "hate speech"; there are particularly strict ones in Germany. And where was the very concept of political correctness, of shutting down opinions that you find upsetting, come from? From American universities, primarily in California, and was taken up enthusiastically by the Democratic party.

• Like 1

:angry: More shameless propaganda by the ruthless oppressive overlords.

9 hours ago

Oh when is the current President of the U.S. going to intervene to free the British people from this brutal and ruthless tyranny?? Do you know that if you didn't put up a banner outside your house saying "WELCOME LITTLE BABY {insert name here]" ALL HAIL OUR NEW OVERLORD", the Obsequiousness Police (the British equivalent of Saudi Arabia's Religious Police) would come round and would want to know very firmly why you didn't?  :angry: 

image.jpeg

MY GOD ... it’s now a CONCEALED gun crab.

D153C49D-BF21-4CC4-B5C0-209237DD68AE.jpeg.a4f0b17dd917442049afb1af988c1301.jpeg

• Haha 1

I can't tell if we need more legislation against gun crabs...

Image result for crabtank

...or more gun crabs?

Image result for crabtank

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Are you serious? Our police have nothing to do with the bans of the "Alt-Right" and Michael Savage. It has to do with the lack of free speech in the UK. It has to do with their anti-majority double standards.

20 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Yes, it is a fact that the guy was fined for the Nazi dog YouTube video.

I don't know if you read my posts... I guess not, as I totally agreed with you on the importance of freedom of speech and thought. I even made a point of emphasizing my respect for the way such things are handled within the US constitution.

What I don't agree with is this notion you have that this is the British way of life, that we're all cowering under an oppressive system. This was an isolated case. It's something that shouldn't be ignored, but talking it up like we're living in 1984 already is utter nonsense.

It's the same with a lot of issues you proclaim. All this talk of Muslim rape gangs and government kidnapping of children... to put it bluntly is paranoid BS!

We're a nation of 65 million people. There are criminals, miscarriages of justice, and all manner of crap that we need to address, just as there is in the States. Or are you going to tell me that you don't have similar issues with crime, drugs, gangs, political correctness gone mad, etc.?

Pretty sure that would be a no given the amount of threads that pop up on here in the US political section concerning these very issues.

You need to listen to someone that has been a Brit for the best part of fifty years, one who shares your values - hard to believe with how we're arguing here - and one who is admittedly pretty pro-American. Which is probably why it p***es me off so much when I see my country being unfairly dissed from across The Pond :angry:

You ignored the fact that I said that we got some of our best ideas and best institutions from the UK. There also was no BS when I mentioned Muslim rape gangs, and there was no BS when I mentioned the other stories. I saw the reports on how the police "handled" those crimes, and I read the stories on the other cases. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to you to think that I just have it in for the "limeys". ;)

14 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It's hard to construct a rational reply to such a bizarre outburst. Are you really trying to argue that the UK is a uniquely oppressive tyranny? Really? Have you looked at some of the things the US Government and its many and various agencies have done to its own citizens and those in countries all around the world, and you're carefully selecting one or two stories that have been in the news (and have probably got rather garbled in the process), which prove that the UK is an absolute monarchy rather like Saudi Arabia, and it was only allowed to become that way because the People were prohibited from having guns? So how does that fit the argument that the US owes its freedom to allowing gun ownership, if that oppression emanates from an absolute monarchy and the US, as has been explained, has checks and balances to ensure that Tyranny can never arise? Many countries, probably nearly except perhaps Putin's Russia (pause to spit) have laws about "hate speech"; there are particularly strict ones in Germany. And where was the very concept of political correctness, of shutting down opinions that you find upsetting, come from? From American universities, primarily in California, and was taken up enthusiastically by the Democratic party.

I have the sources that back my "bizarre outbursts", but I doubt that you would believe them if an angel gave them to you on a silver platter. You pulled this same stunt with my claims on Antifa, which you disbelieved due to your ignorance on that domestic terrorist organization. You put your fingers in your ears, and you screamed "la la la la" when I posted a link to a story that documented their long list of acts of crime and terrorism. I can do the same thing with each of the "bizarre outbursts" that I posted, but why would I expect you to fairly evaluate them after the past exchange?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

You ignored the fact that I said that we got some of our best ideas and best institutions from the UK. There also was no BS when I mentioned Muslim rape gangs, and there was no BS when I mentioned the other stories. I saw the reports on how the police "handled" those crimes, and I read the stories on the other cases. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to you to think that I just have it in for the "limeys". ;)

I don't think you've got it in for us ;)

I just want you to have some sense of perspective on what the media is doing to us these days, both left and right - it's polarizing us into seeing the world in black and white, when the truth is that it's very much grey.

Honestly, if you read many of my posts on here, you'll see that I'm far more likely to fall onto the same side of the argument as yourself. I can't abide political correctness, terrorism makes me seethe, and the kind of stories you talk about make me despair. I believe in honest work and family.

I'm not going to let these stories turn me into an angry, hate-filled man though, because they are the exception rather than the rule.

I keep drawing parallels to America, not to paint a bad picture of the US, but to emphasize the point that the world over has problems.

When you talk of Muslim rape gangs, you make it sound like there are gangs of men wandering the streets, jumping on white women while the police look the other way. What I assume you are talking about are things such as the historic child abuse cases in Rotherham. Absolutely ******* awful, despicable crimes, but they are being invesigated and prosecuted. What would you have British citizens do? Storm the courts and lynch them? Sounds good actually... but like yourself in the States, we have to abide by the letter of the law.

What do you do when American citizens are killed by Mexican drug cartels on American soil, or innocent Americans killed in the crossfire of ethnic gang violence in your cities? Have your laws managed to eradicate these crimes? Your military? Local militias?

Again, this isn't meant as disrespect to the US. It's just emphasizing the point that **** happens, and as much as we don't want it to, it does, regardless of who leads our countries. It's not right in any way shape or form, but it happens.

It's worth remembering though that these stories that hit the headlines in the increasingly small world of the Internet do not come close to portraying life in our countries.

The US has many good people, and it isn't a warzone of guns, drugs and gang violence, in the same way that Britain isn't a hotbed of some of the stories you read. There are problems, sure, but all any of us can do is make our votes count, keep our own standards high, and change the world in small ways where we can.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 12:31 PM, Alaric said:

I shouted to the rooftops when declaring a person an “enemy combatant” was Bush’s deal ... then again when Obama used a drone to execute one of those “enemy combatants”, a US citizen living in a foreign country... though there was nary a peep out of the liberal anti war left on that one because Obama was the perpetrator.

Maybe you were not listening.  There were a number of protests and comments.  For some, that was the last straw for faltering  Obama supporters.

6 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

You ignored the fact that I said that we got some of our best ideas and best institutions from the UK

Better yet, we got some of the best from the Indians.

10 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

ou pulled this same stunt with my claims on Antifa, which you disbelieved due to your ignorance on that domestic terrorist organization. You put your fingers in your ears, and you screamed "la la la la" when I posted a link to a story that documented their long list of acts of crime and terrorism.

that's a very neat way of avoiding answering any of the questions, well done to you.