Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Nasca Lines discovered

Ozfactor

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I just have common sense, the lines are meant to be seen by Gods in the sky, why else make them?

Well, here is something to consider: the mazes in Chartres and other cathedrals and many open air ones.  I think that is a Christian tradition of a rather spiritual bent.  The idea is to meditate and walk the path of the maze to the center and then back out while you reflect on your life spiritual and otherwise.  Another: the tradition of mazes at great European manor houses has nothing much to do with gods or God seeing the maze.  In fact, many of the folks that used them would probably rather not have been under observation, divine or otherwise.

Whoever first injected the idea into our culture that the gods were watching from above was probably not Indian.

Common sense only gives us a framework of reasoning  for ourselves and our culture; not necessarily an insight on others.  Maybe for those who made the lines it was a meditation, or a penance, or a way of making a lasting legacy, or a clan marker, or a fertility symbol to be used for guaranteed conception as a result of love making on the hummingbird's beak.   Since we don't know hose people well all of it is a guess. based on our cultural framework.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

I have heard that they might have been used as a run way for something...but what?

EVD made such a claim. As we see, even a little disturbance would make even a larger imprint on the desert. Why would aliens use a runway line when they have the ability to navigate across the stars?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, stereologist said:

EVD made such a claim. As we see, even a little disturbance would make even a larger imprint on the desert. Why would aliens use a runway line when they have the ability to navigate across the stars?

You have a point..That and aliens cannot land on Earth they crash everytime...Who is EVD by the way? Never mind I just figured out who EVD is...

Edited by Alien Origins
Add Something.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well, here is something to consider: the mazes in Chartres and other cathedrals and many open air ones.  I think that is a Christian tradition of a rather spiritual bent.  The idea is to meditate and walk the path of the maze to the center and then back out while you reflect on your life spiritual and otherwise.  Another: the tradition of mazes at great European manor houses has nothing much to do with gods or God seeing the maze.  In fact, many of the folks that used them would probably rather not have been under observation, divine or otherwise.

Whoever first injected the idea into our culture that the gods were watching from above was probably not Indian.

Common sense only gives us a framework of reasoning  for ourselves and our culture; not necessarily an insight on others.  Maybe for those who made the lines it was a meditation, or a penance, or a way of making a lasting legacy, or a clan marker, or a fertility symbol to be used for guaranteed conception as a result of love making on the hummingbird's beak.   Since we don't know hose people well all of it is a guess. based on our cultural framework.

Actually, the archaeological consensus is that they are religious in nature is based on the cultural context in which they appeared. Since the surrounding cultures used such symbols that way, albeit on a smaller scale, it's pretty likely the Nazca culture used them that way, too.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Actually, the archaeological consensus is that they are religious in nature is based on the cultural context in which they appeared. Since the surrounding cultures used such symbols that way, albeit on a smaller scale, it's pretty likely the Nazca culture used them that way, too.

I am good with that, especially with evidence.  I am cautious about common sense ideas based on European cultural suppositions.  I did kind of like the lovemaking on the hummingbird's beak canard.  I guess I might have to let it fly away without a squawk.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I am good with that, especially with evidence.  I am cautious about common sense ideas based on European cultural suppositions.  I did kind of like the lovemaking on the hummingbird's beak canard.  I guess I might have to let it fly away without a squawk.

Thanks for that reminder.  I am very guilty of that and it screwed me up several times but I didn't realize the issue. :tu:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

There's no telling how they utilized them, ritually. One could imagine torch-lit processions along the lines at dusk, observable from the surrounding hilltops, bringing to earth a reflection of the everlasting sky. Who knows?

• Like 1

Could have merely been art.

Some of the same figures appear on their fabrics and pottery. I doubt they walked on those.

Harte

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harte said:

Some of the same figures appear on their fabrics and pottery. I doubt they walked on those.

Harte

I don't know what they did, but the professional consensus opinion is that they are religious and ritualistic symbols, as are the designs on fabric and pottery. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't know what they did, but the professional consensus opinion is that they are religious and ritualistic symbols, as are the designs on fabric and pottery. 

Even I have to admit archaeology's go-to answer for something not immediately explainable is religion.

I read an article once in Archaeology magazine (I think) that perhaps the shapes were for religious processions with priests and supplicants. Others would stand on the bluffs that ring the site and watch from above. Think how beautiful that would've been at night, with everyone in procession carrying torches. There probably was music to accompany them.

And no aliens admitted. Why do people always go for aliens? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Even I have to admit archaeology's go-to answer for something not immediately explainable is religion.

I read an article once in Archaeology magazine (I think) that perhaps the shapes were for religious processions with priests and supplicants. Others would stand on the bluffs that ring the site and watch from above. Think how beautiful that would've been at night, with everyone in procession carrying torches. There probably was music to accompany them.

All being said, if anyone has a better explanation that doesn't divorce them from their cultural context, I'll be glad to hear it. Art for art's sake and ancient astronauts is just giving them modern interpretations, in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

All being said, if anyone has a better explanation that doesn't divorce them from their cultural context, I'll be glad to hear it. Art for art's sake and ancient astronauts is just giving them modern interpretations, in my opinion.

Hi Hammer

Humans have always engaged in activities for entertainment and to gather together and religion is not the end all be all of those activities. I don't discount that they may have had a religious significance bit considering that they didn't have internet or tv it could have been a way of creating social activities. We have no way to make any absolute determinations at this time and I just leave it open for discovery.

jmccr8

I can imagine tribes or clans sort of vying by making their symbol bigger than the next one, or a rite of manhood, or marriage or maybe any significant thing they wished to come together to celebrate, maybe even some religious ones. 

Much of the mystique of these cultures we have no written records of very much, if at all, is seeking to understand them. 

Back in the 60's when I was a kid in Japan, you saw cranes everywhere, the bird sort of crane. It was on jewelry boxes, cans, pictures, elaborate kimonos. If I knew nothing more, I could be forgiven for thinking this was a religious thing, perhaps they worshipped a crane god. But, the truth is, it was a beloved cultural symbol for good luck, associated with weddings and the bride, as one of my friends explained to me as we played in a rice field and watched a local religious parade go by. As usual, it had a dragon in it and I asked why I never saw cranes in these processions through the village.

So, I don't think seeing a symbol a lot on pottery or items by itself proves religious meaning, but, it can surely prove value and how they thought, things they saw as beautiful and meaningful, and maybe this is the same thing in a way.

Just my thoughts about the lines, which would entrance anyone and make me wonder how they would feel if they knew people today would see the lines and wonder about their makers years and years later.

I think they would be happy.

I think I'll let the SJWs just soldier on with their--frankly amusing--non expert opinions. Maybe Stonehenge was a cattle pen and the Pyramids were just social work projects, too. LOL

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Harte said:

Harte

The ways of the Hounds are inscrutable, and the things they ask the Nazca to do likewise. But it could be some manner of ham-firmation magics.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

They cross a line in the dirt when they do.

Harte

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Well, you're asking moderns to interpret them.

What other sort of interpretations can moderns give?

Harte

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, Harte said:

Harte

I should add here that they may have had the same figures dyed on the soles of their shoes (or feet.)

Harte

14 minutes ago, Harte said:

Well, you're asking moderns to interpret them.

What other sort of interpretations can moderns give?

Harte

Really doesn't matter. One is entitled to think whatever one wishes. My point is--they were not created in a vacuum, isolated from everything else.. Their creation, their location, their hypothetical utilization is embedded in the cultural complex that surrounded them. I simply echo the conclusions of professionals who studied them for years or a lifetime. If I'm left with nothing but guesses, I prefer the educated ones.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

There IS a theory that they are related to the waterways beneath the surface, and maybe at the same time indicative of various clans and their claims (or credit) for the work done to build those small water passages (or perhaps even for the water in them.)

But it's not religious, so (apparently) it's not mainstream? 

I thought it was, but after the religious consensus here, I'm wondering which theory is currently in favor.

Not wondering enough to go look, of course.  I am far to lazy for that.

Harte

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harte said:

There IS a theory that they are related to the waterways beneath the surface, and maybe at the same time indicative of various clans and their claims (or credit) for the work done to build those small water passages (or perhaps even for the water in them.)

But it's not religious, so (apparently) it's not mainstream? 

I thought it was, but after the religious consensus here, I'm wondering which theory is currently in favor.

Not wondering enough to go look, of course.  I am far to lazy for that.

Harte

Ye Gods! Water was sacred to them. You're just digging a deeper hole.

• 6 months later...

I think those Nazca Lines served as a landmark, you know, like da Statue of Liberty, New York, to other lost civilizations. We're here. We're civilized. Trade with us. Don't mess with us. In my opinion. Even now, it's still served that purpose to us. Nazca Lines? Lima, Peru, right? 

Edited by sasno
Edit

13 hours ago, sasno said:

I think those Nazca Lines served as a landmark, you know, like da Statue of Liberty, New York, to other lost civilizations. We're here. We're civilized. Trade with us. Don't mess with us. In my opinion. Even now, it's still served that purpose to us. Nazca Lines? Lima, Peru, right? 

The "modern" city of Lima, Peru is located approximately 225 miles (360 km) northwest of the Nazca Plain. The "modern" city of Lima was founded in 1535 AD. Timelines and geography do matter.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:01 AM, kmt_sesh said:

Aside from wooden stakes and Cotton String (Presumably used in laying out the lines the same way intricate designs end up in British Crop fields) pottery shards have also been found all of which have been temporally and culturally associated to the ancient Nazca.

In the "Lost worlds of South America" lecture series available from the teaching company, Edwin Barnhardt devotes an entire lecture just to the Nazca. I have the audio version of the series and find it very informative. Those who enjoy unorthodox views of our past will be pleasantly surprised to find out that Dr. Barnhart holds opinions outside of mainstream consensus. Things like

Acid to shape stone

Shamanism being depicted in art that the consensus has as violence.

Archaeoastronomy

• Like 1