Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forum Update (April 2018)

Saru

The new update gets a thumbs up from me.  Those extra options inside the like button are handy and ideal if you havnt got the time to quote and question something.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can see that the 'confused' option might become useful. If a lot of people are "confused" by my post, then it suggests that I haven't made myself clear. This could help me for future posts. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 08/04/2018 at 12:58 PM, Vlad the Mighty said:

I like giving people trophies. 

Can you pour Champagne in mine, please.

Thanks.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure how to react to this development.

I don't much care for it though. It's actually more impersonal, not less. I want to know upfront and not be obliged to check.

Also, I was quoted and not informed. That's a a big no-no.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Also, I was quoted and not informed. That's a a big no-no.

You'll need to specify in your notification settings that you'd like to receive a notification when someone quotes you (and how you'd like to be notified ).

It is listed as "Someone quotes a comment or post I made".

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/notifications/options/

• Like 3

I have been having more than the usual Timeout and Connection Errors specifically to UM since the update ...

Got this Message over FF just a moment ago ...

~

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@unexplained-mysteries.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

01:38 11-Apr-18 (Malaysia TimeZone)

~

Maybe its a Win Xp issue, I'll dig around a bit when I get the time ... to be fair my ISP informed me that they have been having some Transmitter issues in my area,

~

3 hours ago, Saru said:

You'll need to specify in your notification settings that you'd like to receive a notification when someone quotes you (and how you'd like to be notified ).

It is listed as "Someone quotes a comment or post I made".

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/notifications/options/

Interesting. And would it look like the attached?

Because that's exactly how I found it, completely untouched. I would assume something like that to be opt-out anyways. I see though the post dialog itself has a little thing in the lower left corner specifying notification of replies. Am I going to be required to do that with each and every post? If so, I believe the Invision boards dev team and I are going to have to have words.

generally confusing.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Interesting. And would it look like the attached ? Because that's exactly how I found it, completely untouched.

Looks like you already have it set to notify you when someone quotes one of your posts, so you don't need to do anything.

10 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

I see though the post dialog itself has a little thing in the lower left corner specifying notification of replies. Am I going to be required to do that with each and every post? If so, I believe the Invision boards dev team and I are going to have to have words.

I assume that's a post-specific setting that overrides the notification preferences, you don't need to change that.

Bear in mind that the notifications system hasn't changed at all in this update - it's the same as it has been for several years.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Saru said:

Looks like you already have it set to notify you when someone quotes one of your posts, so you don't need to do anything.

I assume that's a post-specific setting that overrides the notification preferences, you don't need to change that.

Bear in mind that the notifications system hasn't changed at all in this update - it's the same as it has been for several years.

I see now the dialog box button seems to be permanently set to notify since I turned that on so hopefully that takes care of it. Something changed to turn it off like that. Might've triggered a hotkey accidentally.

In an ideal world, I would like a "That's a very intelligent, considered, and fair-minded comment! :)  but it's totally wrong" button.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

the news system, - the icons, like, confused, LOL and thanks options we need another one, an extra one called; Rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've noticed that the status updates (in the column on the forum page, at any rate) don't show what responses updates that you've posted have, even if I know that there are some. :blink:

• Like 1

^ Yes. (as I previously pointed out :P)

And you can't quote a reply to an update.  Most annoying, that one.

• Thanks 1

And now neither quotes nor links work in status updates in the forum front page. Advice, please? 

3 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

And now neither quotes nor links work in status updates in the forum front page. Advice, please? 

In what way do these features not work ?

22 hours ago, Saru said:

In what way do these features not work ?

Well, no formatting (italics, bold, whatever) seems to work, and you can't even post anything in quote boxes, it just comes out as plain text. 

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Well, no formatting (italics, bold, whatever) seems to work, and you can't even post anything in quote boxes, it just comes out as plain text. 

Click the cog icon at the top right of the status widget and enable "rich text".

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:49 AM, stevewinn said:

the news system, - the icons, like, confused, LOL and thanks options we need another one, an extra one called; Rubbish.

That's the first thing I looked for.

I'm not much of a typist.

Harte

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2018 at 10:41 AM, Saru said:

Click the cog icon at the top right of the status widget and enable "rich text".

I've noticed that I have to Enable Rich Text regularly. I always save the setting, but it reverts to Off after a while.

Any enduring issues with the status updates sidebar widget will be looked at after the next update ( which should be very soon ).

Also, the search system will be getting some improvements and fixes.

I'll close this topic for now - I'll create another once the next update has been implemented in the near future.

• Like 5

• The topic was locked