Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trade war with China

pallidin

Thoughts?

El Trumpo is already “predicting” that some of the tariffs etc will be “walked back”. It’s posturing before carving out a new trade deal with China. 

• Like 3

There's a lot of unhappy farmers right now. He won't win a trade war with china. China has to much cheap labour at poor wages for the U.S to compete.

Hank

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

There's a lot of unhappy farmers right now. He won't win a trade war with china. China has to much cheap labour at poor wages for the U.S to compete.

Hank

Nah, we couldn't possibly win... we sell them FAR more stuff than they...wait...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe they will show us who is boss and take all of our illegal immigrants and give them jobs :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

.I am surprised that we did not have a trade war many years ago. how many times did we catching them trying to poison our pets with their third rate products? And all the copy write infringements , and false brand labeling of those things  they try to illegally ship over here. At least once a year I hear more  about something or another being sent over here that was not made  as we legally expect. to much lead in the paint  or some type of poison in the dog food or something. I expected it long ago and if our politicians had a backbone....

Edited by mysticwerewolf
bad punctuation.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

There's a lot of unhappy farmers right now. He won't win a trade war with china. China has to much cheap labour at poor wages for the U.S to compete.

Hank

wrong....

America doesn't need cheap crap from China.  China does need to sell their crap to America though.  It is NOT a symbiotic relationship.  Trump is very smart...he is a master of negotiation...and China will think they got the better deal, when all along, Trump will get what he originally wanted...fairness in the markets for all businesses.   

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, joc said:

wrong....

America doesn't need cheap crap from China.  China does need to sell their crap to America though.  It is NOT a symbiotic relationship.  Trump is very smart...he is a master of negotiation...and China will think they got the better deal, when all along, Trump will get what he originally wanted...fairness in the markets for all businesses.   

Thanks for reaffirming why I had you on ignore. 

Hank

• Sad 1

The farmers here in Iowa and Senator Grassley are going to push for farm aid to bail themselves out in case the tariffs on soybeans go in effect in addition to the pork tariffs.  A lot of them take out hefty loans for seed and startup every year so they are already operating on the razors edge of bankruptcy as it is.  Crop insurance protects them normally so they get paid even if the crops go bad, but the tariffs put an additional price on even a good yield. 

It should be interesting to see what happens.  Farmers are a special lot- it's not like some guy can wake up in the morning and decide to be a farmer, buy 1000 acres, seed, tractors, etc.. plant it and make a profit with no experience.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

The Chinese do seem to have put thought into this.  They are targeting products that hurt "Trump" states: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/trump-states-would-be-hit-hard-by-new-chinese-tariffs.html

They can be as targeted as they wish.  They cannot afford an all-out trade war of indefinite length.  Screw them.

• Like 3

Shocked indeed ...

~

iPhone gives misleading impression of US trade deficit with China ...

Mar 21, 2018 - The World Trade Organisation (WTO) has suggested that the iPhone plays a significant role in skewing the apparent US trade deficit with China. On the surface, the deficit appears to be $375B, with the iPhone 7 series alone accounting for around 4.4% of that, but the true figure is said to be far lower …
~

Designed in California and made in China: How the iPhone skews the ...

Mar 22, 2018 - Using a rough calculation, that implies the iPhone 7 series added $15.7 billion to the U.S. trade deficit with China last year, about 4.4 percent of the total. That is also about 22 percent of the $70 billion in cell phones and household goods the U.S. imported from China.

~

Mar 21, 2018 - The US trade deficit with China topped $375 billion last year. ... Reuters reports that 61 million iPhones were shipped from China to the US in 2017 and suggests that just a single phone—the iPhone 7 model, released in 2016 and on sale for all of last year—accounted for $15.7 billion of the trade deficit, or 4.4%.

~

Apr 10, 2011 - Using the total manufacturing cost $178.96 as the price of the iPhone, China's iPhone exports to the US amounted $2.0 billion in 2009. ... The traditional way of measuring trade credits all $178.98 to China when an iPhone is shipped to the US, thus exaggerating the export volume as well as the imbalance.

~

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Thanks for reaffirming why I had you on ignore. 

Hank

I didn't know you were ignoring me...in fact, I didn't even know you existed.

Thanks for the memo though...noted and filed!

• Like 2

You know we are living in messed up times, when half our population is rooting for Slave masters in China to win a trade war against the US. Couldn't care less that China has been screwing us for decades. Sick smh

• Like 5

I just hope that ordinary people in in both USA and China won't have to pay for the expenses of this 'war'.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

You know we are living in messed up times, when half our population is rooting for Slave masters in China to win a trade war against the US. Couldn't care less that China has been screwing us for decades. Sick smh

No one wins in a trade war.  You can't really root for a side..........

I guess I should come clean, though.  After Trump got elected I did dump a bunch of money into foreign stocks.  China's Alibaba in particular.   Also have a bit in global bonds, Brazil's Vale, and a Chinese growth mutual fund.  So yeah, I did bet against Trump and America in a trade war.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, joc said:

wrong....

That remains to be seen, as China doesn't mind making it's people suffer.  But absolutely the intention of the USA is have a more even trade with China, we're not trying to screw them, we're trying to get them to stop screwing us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That just shows how ridiculous the left leaners are.  They would rather America suffer or perish than to see us succeed with Trump at the helm.  I personally can't stand Donald Trump but I do wish him all the luck in the world in having a presidency that's successful for the USA just as I did for Obama and Bush, who I also pretty much couldn't stand.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That just shows how ridiculous the left leaners are.  They would rather America suffer or perish than to see us succeed with Trump at the helm.  I personally can't stand Donald Trump but I do wish him all the luck in the world in having a presidency that's successful for the USA just as I did for Obama and Bush, who I also pretty much couldn't stand.

It's kind of hard to get enthused about winning a trade war when the president and his daughter manufacture goods in China for export here into the US.  Tariff-free on top of it all.  It's like how he complains about Amazon not paying taxes when it pays state taxes in 48 states while the Trump online store pays taxes in two. 

But hey, if that makes me ridiculous, then I wear it with pride.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It's kind of hard to get enthused about winning a trade war when the president and his daughter manufacture goods in China for export here into the US.  Tariff-free on top of it all.  It's like how he complains about Amazon not paying taxes when it pays state taxes in 48 states while the Trump online store pays taxes in two. 

But hey, if that makes me ridiculous, then I wear it with pride.  

So you would rather see Trump fail than the USA succeed.  Ridiculous is perhaps not the right word.

• Like 1

We've been in a type of 'trade war' with China for a very long time now (apx 25 years). We've experienced a trade deficit to the tune of billions and billions. This is going to change now, and I think all the panic surrounding this will have been for naught. 

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

So you would rather see Trump fail than the USA succeed.  Ridiculous is perhaps not the right word.

He has to be doing something with a possible positive result for me to root for him.  He's is just going to make America suffer with this route.

The major points of the TPP on our part was to curb intellectual property theft for the US and exclude China in a big Asian trade pact.  When we left, China stepped right in.  China invested 1 trillion dollars in infrastructure making roads and ports that all lead back to China.  China is engaging the world in a globalist fashion whereas the US has turned towards hiding in it's bedroom.

What is your best case scenario?  Trump is bluffing, China believes it and does what?  Tells Americans to stop buying cheap crap at Walmart so the trade imbalance evens out?  Eats the tariffs because it makes everything fair?   Tell me how he plans on winning and maybe I will back him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

What is your best case scenario?  Trump is bluffing, China believes it and does what?  Tells Americans to stop buying cheap crap at Walmart so the trade imbalance evens out?  Eats the tariffs because it makes everything fair?   Tell me how he plans on winning and maybe I will back him. 

Yes.  To get us to drop tariffs we get more equal trade with China.  Hello.

• Like 1