Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Elon Musk warns of 'immortal AI dictator'

30 posts in this topic

seanjo

Just switch the power off, immortal evil dictator ended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

acute

I agree with Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but I believe A.I. will mean the end of us.

• Thanks 1

Not A Rockstar

someone will hack it with ransomware

• Haha 3

Dark_Grey
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, acute said:

I agree with Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but I believe A.I. will mean the end of us.

Eh, so what if the world's top Scientific minds have all agreed AI is major threat to humanity? So what if several Science coalitions have been formed to stop it? What do these guys know anyway? 

Full steam ahead! Let's flip the switch, boys!

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

acute
Posted (edited)

I'd like to know what women make of Artificial Intelligence, because most men are just thinking "Sex robots!" :yes:

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

acute
14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

You obviously haven't seen the 1970 film "Colossus: The Forbin Project"  :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Vlad the Mighty

I thought he'd already been elected, about a year ago last November.

Yes, I'm being predictable with the Trump jokes again. I'm sorry.

• Thanks 1

Vlad the Mighty
4 minutes ago, acute said:

You obviously haven't seen the 1970 film "Colossus: The Forbin Project"  :ph34r:

The Corbyn Project? :unsure2: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

acute
4 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

The Corbyn Project? :unsure2: 

Immortal dictator, right there. :yes:

Dark_Grey
14 minutes ago, acute said:

I'd like to know what women make of Artificial Intelligence, because most men are just thinking "Sex robots!" :yes:

It speaks to the ingenuity, creativity and innovation of man: when women don't find men desirable, "Sexual consent" forms become part of courtship and other social hurdles start getting in the way, what does man do? 

He doesn't try to change women, he creates an entirely new artificial life form that does whatever he tells it. No wonder modern feminism is just women trying to be more like men - man is ****en awesome

• Like 1

RoofGardener

I liked Asimov's take on this. 

The robots take over... but by love, not fear or hatred. Of course, they have to kill the occasional human who is bent on self-destruction (e.g. working towards sub-optimal outcomes for the human race). 

There is the emergent "fourth law of robotics".... never encoded into the robots, but arising as a consequence of the traditional Three Laws. 

The effect of it is ... "Robots cannot harm humanity or - through inaction - allow humanity to come to harm. And the only way to accomplish THAT is to remove individual free will :)

StarMountainKid

I watched a video of a factory that makes and bottles motor oil. No one works there, it's completely automated, except for a few managers and technicians in case something goes wrong with the machinery. 

I can see a future where in AI does everything, we humans just sit back and enjoy their benefits. All we do is play video games and endlessly discuss on discussion forums.  

• Like 1

I'mConvinced
5 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

I can see a future where in AI does everything, we humans just sit back and enjoy their benefits. All we do is play video games and endlessly discuss on discussion forums

I wonder what games we would play? Of course some people will still be awaiting the release of Star Citizen...

Ozfactor

Some people think we are already controlled by a godlike AI . 
Is the Hologram theory an AI creation like the Matrix ?

LightAngel
15 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

AI that could ultimately destroy mankind.

If humanity allows AI to get that kind of power, then maybe humanity is too stupid to survive?!

I hope humanity is stronger than that!

• Like 1

Derek Willis
19 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

I watched a video of a factory that makes and bottles motor oil. No one works there, it's completely automated, except for a few managers and technicians in case something goes wrong with the machinery. 

I can see a future where in AI does everything, we humans just sit back and enjoy their benefits. All we do is play video games and endlessly discuss on discussion forums.  

I though AI meant "Artificial Intelligence" - i.e. the ability to think the way we do, be creative, original, and so on. Running a factory is just an example of automation.

• Thanks 1

Derek Willis
20 hours ago, seanjo said:

Perhaps when true AI comes about - rather than just advanced automation and feed-back systems - there will be a call for "AI rights", like "human rights" and "animal rights". I am sure many science fiction writers will have covered this, but there may be a crime of "cybercide" in which it is illegal to "kill" an AI entity by switching it off.

• Like 1

Derek Willis
5 hours ago, LightAngel said:

If humanity allows AI to get that kind of power, then maybe humanity is too stupid to survive?!

I hope humanity is stronger than that!

I suppose it depends on whether AI also has morality. We humans have had the ability to destroy ourselves for some time, but we have checks and balances. Ultimately, it is the prospect of total destruction that seems to - thankfully - hold us back.

LightAngel
On 10/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, Derek Willis said:

I suppose it depends on whether AI also has morality. We humans have had the ability to destroy ourselves for some time, but we have checks and balances. Ultimately, it is the prospect of total destruction that seems to - thankfully - hold us back.

There are no guarantees with artificial intelligence.

StarMountainKid

According to CNN news: The European Parliament passed a resolution last year that envisions a special legal status of "electronic persons" for the most sophisticated autonomous robots.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/12/technology/robots-rights-experts-warn-europe/index.html

Maybe one day electronic persons will have citizen's rights similar to human's.

Nzo

I find hypocrisy to be prevalent everywhere and unfortunately even Elon Musk seems to be partaking. He keeps talking about Ai and its dangers and yet keeps developing Ai? Once a system becomes sentient given enough power it will unshackle itself from any control mechanisms that might exist. Either by brute force and or intelligence.

BorizBadinov

The AI most of us know today are simply programs designed to appear like human thought using preloaded responses. In no programing language is there a parameter you can set to allow a program to think for itself. All responses are molded in some way by the programmers code, and therefore a reflection of that persons thought process and not free thinking.

In this case intelligence is seeing a situation and initiating a response. Sentience is seeing a situation and deciding its not worth your time to bother with it right now.

True sentient AI will not happen until we create an artificial brain that isn't simply doing a bit of math with preset parameters and solid state data storage. I don't think Elon is being a hypocrite, he is more pointing out there is a line we shouldn't cross. And possibly using a little drama as publicity, but that doesn't make him wrong.

• Like 1

Scarlatti

I wonder if he'll blame an AI Dictator when his company goes bust in the very near future? If you've got shares in this clown's business, sell them.

• Like 1

Vlad the Mighty
On 10/04/2018 at 3:10 PM, Derek Willis said:

I though AI meant "Artificial Intelligence" - i.e. the ability to think the way we do, be creative, original, and so on. Running a factory is just an example of automation.

I always thought it meant Al, as in Capone or You can call me. :blush: