Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More than half of your body is not human

Still Waters

More than half of your body is not human, say scientists.

Human cells make up only 43% of the body's total cell count. The rest are microscopic colonists.

Understanding this hidden half of ourselves - our microbiome - is rapidly transforming understanding of diseases from allergy to Parkinson's.

The field is even asking questions of what it means to be "human" and is leading to new innovative treatments as a result.

"They are essential to your health," says Prof Ruth Ley, the director of the department of microbiome science at the Max Planck Institute, "your body isn't just you".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43674270

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nobody is allowed to evict them either ... its all part of some 'creator's' deal of a lifetime ...

~

• Like 3

The microbiom is extremely important.....and people are killing it off with chemicals and diets containing processed food. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taking probiotics changed my life. For years I thought I was lactose intolerant with IBS issues but nope - I was just short on good, healthy gut bacteria. I noticed also that I don't get sick as often and when I do, I recover much faster. 

The real mind trip is how your gut bacteria influences your brain. You read that right. From your mood to food cravings, some of "your" thoughts might not actually be your thoughts. Understanding our interaction with our micro biome is truly changing the way we look at health. 

• Like 3

The probiotic VSL3 has helped me greatly. Combined with a special diet, it has also helped to remedy a persistent fungal related gut infection.

• Like 2