Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chemical experts to inspect attack site

Unusual Tournament

Chemical weapons experts to inspect attack site in Syria

The international chemical weapons watchdog said it was sending a fact-finding mission to the Syrian town where a suspected chemical gas attack took place over the weekend, following a request from the Syrian government and its Russian backers that appeared to be aimed at averting punitive Western military action.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/04/11/06/28/un-to-send-chemical-weapons-inquiry-team-to-syria

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Chemical weapons experts to inspect attack site in Syria

The international chemical weapons watchdog said it was sending a fact-finding mission to the Syrian town where a suspected chemical gas attack took place over the weekend, following a request from the Syrian government and its Russian backers that appeared to be aimed at averting punitive Western military action.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/04/11/06/28/un-to-send-chemical-weapons-inquiry-team-to-syria

How does this work since the UNSC voted down a resolution to send these guys in? 

Will the western powers recognize their investigation or hurry up their bombing plans so their strikes come before the investigators get there?

• Like 1

Now that there has been time to clean up.

If there was no attack, then why wouldn't they let people in before?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

How does this work since the UNSC voted down a resolution to send these guys in? 

Will the western powers recognize their investigation or hurry up their bombing plans so their strikes come before the investigators get there?

interesting that the western powers have taken so long to respond. long enough for the Russians to prepare and protect Assad so maybe they want more proof otherwise they would have struck by now, imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Now that there has been time to clean up.

If there was no attack, then why wouldn't they let people in before?

i don't think the Russians or Assad have direct control of the chemical weapons attack site, otherwise they wouldn't have attacked it. so they couldn't clean and hide an evidence.  

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

interesting that the western powers have taken so long to respond. long enough for the Russians to prepare and protect Assad so maybe they want more proof otherwise they would have struck by now, imo.

That's an optimistic take I like it. 

I'm afraid I'm so cynical in this arena I just assumed it was because they are the conductors marching to their own music. My truly cynical side wants to say there will be one more atrocity in Syria in the next day or so before the western powers act. Something really horrible which will ensure people believe total war is the only solution.

God I hope that's not the case. I like your take much more than mine.   

7 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

i don't think the Russians or Assad have direct control of the chemical weapons attack site, otherwise they wouldn't have attacked it. so they couldn't clean and hide an evidence.  

Darn sure would have had control after the chemical weapons were released.

Word was they had the place blocked off and no one could get in. 

If nothing happened, then why did they surround the area?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

That's an optimistic take I like it. 

I'm afraid I'm so cynical in this arena I just assumed it was because they are the conductors marching to their own music. My truly cynical side wants to say there will be one more atrocity in Syria in the next day or so before the western powers act. Something really horrible which will ensure people believe total war is the only solution.

God I hope that's not the case. I like your take much more than mine.   

not sure that i would describe it as optimistic but rather prudent on behalf of Trump to buy time and get as much information as possible. i mean Trump say's he want's to withdraw then backs off a little and now this attack which don't get me wrong is well within Assad's evil skill set but the timing and reasoning certainly suits America staying in Syria. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Darn sure would have had control after the chemical weapons were released.

Word was they had the place blocked off and no one could get in. 

good point. 

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I don't think the question is whether something happened, the question is who made it happen. 

• Like 1

I don't think the question is whether something happened, the question is who made it happen. 

Actually, Assad said there was no chemical attack.

And Russia's backing that.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Yet they surrounded the area and no one could get in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh my bad I thought you were talking about our members. 

Ya know I saw a pretty convincing looking meme earlier supposedly of a guy who died in the attacks standing taking a selfie , looking all pale like in the video clips. Hard to take those things seriously though. 

20 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

or more importantly who benefits most.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I am not really sure about this, but, according to what Mr. Jaafari (Syrian permanent representative in UN) has said so far, Syria was always urging for investigations to be made in events prior to this most recent ones. But to have experts on the field and in Brussels are two very different things. That is where the West and UN charter go on separate ways.

After all, many times did Jaafari ask for some other documents to be disclosed but... Always found out that he speaks to the wall.

16 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Since SAA has found chemical weapons in areas once held by militants i really have no doubts that such weapons were used because militants had them since start of the war. Question is for how long will the West allow militants to 'sacrifice' civilians for the purpose of making videos and false accusations?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

i think he said it was fabricated. say's that there is no proof other than a video on youtube.

Edited by Captain Risky

Russia used its veto 3 times.

Russian Surveillance aircraft buzzed ships of the US sixth fleet in the Med.

America seeks support/moral support from Britain and France in order to launch attacks at key sites in Syria. - But will this be like last time when Trumps America fired tomahawk cruise missiles at Assad's forces / bases. - But pre-warned Russia hours in advance to move their personnel and equipment out the way. showing the action was symbolic.

Shifting gears, noted today the Royal Navy is to deploy 3 ships to the Asia Pacific region. part of the UN Mission to monitor North Korean illegal trade. the ships to be deployed are two frigates HMS Argyll, - HMS Sutherland and HMS Albion (amphibious transport dock) Its the use of HMS Albion which raises an eyebrow, Her primary role is to put Royal Marines ashore. But she's excellent for evacuation of citizens (UK) in regions were conflict breaks out. (is something brewing) unusual for three Royal Navy assets to be in the the region. 

merlinalbion.jpg?auto=compress,format&fi

Edited by stevewinn

Just gone over Trumps twitter. The language he use now is much worse than with Kimmy.

I can't find good source about alleged phone call between Netanyahu and Trump where Netanyahu urged Trump to take action against Syria and possibly Tehran. Why do they not understand the fact that there are Russian soldiers, generals, embedded within Syrian army and staff, Russian military police is working on the streets with Syrian counterparts... This might turn out to be the start of decades of fire in the region, fire of magnitude never seen before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Just gone over Trumps twitter. The language he use now is much worse than with Kimmy.

I can't find good source about alleged phone call between Netanyahu and Trump where Netanyahu urged Trump to take action against Syria and possibly Tehran. Why do they not understand the fact that there are Russian soldiers, generals, embedded within Syrian army and staff, Russian military police is working on the streets with Syrian counterparts... This might turn out to be the start of decades of fire in the region, fire of magnitude never seen before.

Lets hope sensible heads prevail. but the language used by the US Ambassador used the word genocide and Trumps tweet this could escalate and go wrong fast. the use official by the state department Genocide, im sure when its genocide countries can act without UN approval. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Who voted it down? I mean which countries voted against an inspection? That should be a pointer to who is responsible.

Seems like everybody did 

UNSC fails to pass 3 resolutions on Syria 'chem attack' as Russia calls for restraint

5 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Dear god. 

It is not OK for the President of the United States to act like that. Holy **** me gently with a chainsaw. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

countries can act without UN approval

Very dangerous way to take, inhumane and against everything which UN charter stands for, but it is the only way that some take.

Even after Iraq debacle which has proven to everyone that by taking such actions which are essentially justified by accusation, not by fact, it's only more harm than good. Genocide is strong word and by using such terminology here those hot heads damage international law to the extent that i can not even imagine.

• Like 1

Dear god. 

It is not OK for the President of the United States to act like that. Holy **** me gently with a chainsaw. 

USA has the ability to force it's opinion. USA is strong, no question about it but what USA was never wanted to be is to act like a bully, or worse. Bush and Obama were different in word but maybe even worse in action.

27 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Yet they surrounded the area and no one could get in.

I would imagine that parts of the area where this suspected chemical attack occurred would still have to be treated like a crime scene. If there is any toxic residue in the area(s) people would have to be kept away. Apparently a lot of the people who resided and lived in or around the area have since been transported away by bus. I know that Assad and Russia had first denied that this attack took place. But since then and according to the article Russia is willing to cooperate with the said investigation.

A senior Russian lawmaker said Tuesday that Moscow is willing to help arrange an OPCW visit to the site of the suspected attack. Yevgeny Serberennikov, from the defense committee at the Federation Council, told the RIA Novosti news agency that Russia is eager for the OPCW to "finally start carrying out the functions it was created for."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

USA has the ability to force it's opinion. USA is strong, no question about it but what USA was never wanted to be is to act like a bully, or worse. Bush and Obama were different in word but maybe even worse in action.

I agree wholeheartedly with that assessment but that tweet wasn't just a threat to Syria, it was a threat/challenge to Russia. That really is what I was referring to. The President of the United States just publicly called out Vlad Putin like it's a Jr. High hallway by responding directly to his statements. Nuclear superpowers :blink:

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2