Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teachers in Pennsylvania get baseball bats

Still Waters

A Pennsylvanian school district has given its teachers baseball bats in the fight against school shooters.

All 500 teachers of Millcreek School District near Erie got a 16in (41cm) bat in the wake of the Parkland, Florida high school attack in February.

Though the bats are largely symbolic, Superintendent William Hall said, they are there as a "last resort".

"Unfortunately, we're in a day and age where one might need to use them to protect ourselves and our kids."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43724886

Video:

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/37926169/millcreek-school-district-arms-teachers-with-baseball-bats

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Uh no, a baseball bat won't be effective against a heavily armed lunatic.

How about we take action so that people with mental health and/or criminal issues can't get access to firearms? And, we need to make the security at our schools equal to the security at our courthouses. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, aztek said:

lol, yea a bat vs a gun,  i wonder who would win, hm.. even crappiest pistol wins

Do a you tube search for videos of store owners with baseball bats.

• Like 1

This is ****ing stupid. They might as well hand out nerf balls to security guards. They could throw them at armed and dangerous criminals. Of course, they also could curl up into balls as they suck their thumbs.

• Like 2

I've been saying this since Sandy Hook... Arm the teachers with Mace/Pepper spray guns.

80406A1.jpg

This is a readily available start.

• Like 1

While I’m not too sure about the bats being given to teachers, especially if the teachers aren’t trained in how to use them as a weapon... a 16 inch bat can be an effective weapon just as much as a billy club/police baton by someone that knows how to use it effectively, even against someone with a gun. The little bats are more effictive for attack from behind rather than frontal attack. Pipes, saps, blackjacks, twistjacks, and the like can be rather effective... if one knows how and what situation to use them in. A well used 16 inch bat can split/crush a melon with ease, fracture and break bones and skulls, dislocate/disable joints like knees and elbows, and render people unconscious.

I have found a 16 inch bat requires a bit different skill and training to do proper damage than a regulation baseball bat.. they are kind of two different weapons in a way due to the difference in sizes.

Im also not sure how many teachers are willing and able to come up behind anyone and start bashing on them to disable them, and pretty sure the school isn’t training them in how to use them as weapons. That’s as pointless as arming them with any other type of weapon and not training them in how and when to use it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rashore said:

While I’m not too sure about the bats being given to teachers, especially if the teachers aren’t trained in how to use them as a weapon... a 16 inch bat can be an effective weapon just as much as a billy club/police baton by someone that knows how to use it effectively, even against someone with a gun. The little bats are more effictive for attack from behind rather than frontal attack. Pipes, saps, blackjacks, twistjacks, and the like can be rather effective... if one knows how and what situation to use them in. A well used 16 inch bat can split/crush a melon with ease, fracture and break bones and skulls, dislocate/disable joints like knees and elbows, and render people unconscious.

I have found a 16 inch bat requires a bit different skill and training to do proper damage than a regulation baseball bat.. they are kind of two different weapons in a way due to the difference in sizes.

Im also not sure how many teachers are willing and able to come up behind anyone and start bashing on them to disable them, and pretty sure the school isn’t training them in how to use them as weapons. That’s as pointless as arming them with any other type of weapon and not training them in how and when to use it. 

An excuse to belt the crap out of someone? I can’t see a teacher passing that up! :P

I’d like one of those extendable police batons that they have here in Oz, it makes a dramatic noise.

• Like 3

Just now, Kismit said:

sure, will do, as soon as i'm finished watching videos of kids protecting their house with ar15

• Like 1

I had enough nearly unhinged teachers in junior high and high school that I know the last thing we want is for armed teachers in school. 

• Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

I had enough nearly unhinged teachers in junior high and high school that I know the last thing we want is for armed teachers in school. 

yes that is true, some are pretty unhinged, but it is almost  totally the fault of students who cause troubles, disrespect them , refuse to follow rules, and often openly assault teachers.as well as other students. maybe bats are not for shooters, but for students.  sure some are idiots no matter what, but i have no doubt majority of those teachers are result of dealing with such kids

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kismit said:

Given the choice, I will take a gun every time. 

I wonder how the teachers felt when they were handed a baseball bat and told it was protection from assault rifles? Gun control is sexism masquerading as safety.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aztek said:

sure, will do, as soon as i'm finished watching videos of kids protecting their house with ar15

5 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Given the choice, I will take a gun every time. 

I wonder how the teachers felt when they were handed a baseball bat and told it was protection from assault rifles? Gun control is sexism masquerading as safety.

Did either of you do the you tube search? 

Sexism maskerading as safety? Why do you asume only teachers of a certain sex are getting bats?

• Like 1

Supplying schools with miniature bats and buckets of rocks seems to make a mockery of the whole school shooter situation.  More like a Monty Python skit than an actual plan for defending a thousand kids from an armed lunatic.  If you're going to do nothing, then just do nothing, don't pretend in such a humiliating way.  We already know how to make hardened targets out of places we don't want to be breached.  So far, the only reason I've heard for not taking the same approach to school security is that we "don't want schools to resemble prisons".  But the places we are serious about protecting don't feel like prisons.  They feel like banks, court houses, stadiums and the like.  People in those places don't feel trapped, they feel safe.  I don't have the answers, not by far, but I believe when we find it it will be a little more high tech than sticks and stones.  Maybe things like facial recognition, metal detectors, ID badges.  If we're going to do something it should at least be something than has a chance of preventing the next tragedy, not something that will most likely get someone killed just for trying it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, aztek said:

none of it will do anything when the threat is on the inside

The point is to keep the threat from getting inside.  Not being able to achieve perfection is a poor excuse for not trying.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Did either of you do the you tube search? 

Edited by Kismit
Video removed for graphic content

Just now, Big Jim said:

The point is to keep the threat from getting inside.  Not being able to achieve perfection is a poor excuse for not trying.

we are talking about students in most cases that attend the same school , i have no doubt kids have enough ingenuity to bring gun in undetected

8 minutes ago, aztek said:

I did have to remove one of your videos but I still think you should do that youtube search I sugested.

i posted real; world videos showing how stupid argument bat vs gun is,   feel free to prove me wrong

Edited by aztek

40 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Sexism maskerading as safety? Why do you asume only teachers of a certain sex are getting bats?

I'm not. That statement is generalized because women deserve the opportunity to protect themselves effectively against larger, stronger opponents. 

A 120lb woman with a bat is still no match for a 210lb unarmed man. Hollywood likes to stretch the truth as far as it can go - I'm all for female empowerment but let's not delude ourselves.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I'm not. That statement is generalized because women deserve the opportunity to protect themselves effectively against larger, stronger opponents. 

A 120lb woman with a bat is still no match for a 210lb unarmed man. Hollywood likes to stretch the truth as far as it can go - I'm all for female empowerment but let's not delude ourselves.

I still don't get it. It looks like an over simplification, like a bumper sticker slogan.

If America is one of the only countries which guarantees the right to self defence as a genuine reason to have a gun, how could sensible gun control be sexist?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kismit said:

Yeah, then do one of how many folks get robbed with guns. This is beyond "don't bring a knife to a gun fight." What you're talking about is the minority. 

aztek I like what you posted in a separate thread (butchering your quote but): "fine, now that there's a solution they can't come after my guns."

If someone tries to rob my house with a baseball bat then mr. smith and wesson will keep my family safe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Yeah, then do one of how many folks get robbed with guns. This is beyond "don't bring a knife to a gun fight." What you're talking about is the minority. 

aztek I like what you posted in a separate thread (butchering your quote but): "fine, now that there's a solution they can't come after my guns."

If someone tries to rob my house with a baseball bat then mr. smith and wesson will keep my family safe.

I am just saying non-lethal protection is not a complete waste of time.

• Like 1