Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teachers in Pennsylvania get baseball bats

Still Waters

13 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I am just saying non-lethal protection is not a complete waste of time.

While I'm vehemently on the other side of the fence I can understand where you're coming from.

Not to be a jerk, but the baseball bat/bucket of stones idea reminds me of this:

2 minutes ago, internetperson said:

While I'm vehemently on the other side of the fence I can understand where you're coming from.

Not to be a jerk, but the baseball bat/bucket of stones idea reminds me of this:

That is funny. 

Non-Lethal intervention also means less chance of accidental injury or death from friendly fire.

• Like 1

i,m sure you can find video on you tube of a man fighting a bear with his own hands, of punching a kangaroo  with his fist,  does not mean anyone can do it, or even should, nor it is a smart thing to do.  1 freak case means nothing

• Like 3

18 hours ago, aztek said:

i posted real; world videos showing how stupid argument bat vs gun is,   feel free to prove me wrong

still if i had a choice of confronting someone armed with or without a bat I'm taking the bat. 

• Like 2

Just now, Captain Risky said:

still if i had a choice of confronting someone armed with or without a bat I'm taking the bat. 

sure you would, anyone would, but it does not mean you have much of a chance to survive, too bad second video i posted was removed, it shows  how effective that move is.  even thou teh gun man was approached from behind, and had no idea he would be attacked, still the bat swinger was shot within a second

with a bat you have pbly 0.1% chance to survive a gun assault, with a gun you have 50%, what would you pick? what is more effective?

Edited by aztek

On 2018-04-12 at 12:17 AM, Kismit said:

Do a you tube search for videos of store owners with baseball bats.

That is not the same situations..
People who go into a store armed with a gun are there for the money they are not there to kill the storeowner.
They only want to scare them to get the money.
The people who go armed to a school are there to wreak havoc and are not interested in money.
You cant compare thoose two situations.. 
Completly diffrent people involved.
Most of them are probably suicidal

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Kismit said:

I am just saying non-lethal protection is not a complete waste of time.

I agree.    It's really a "better than nothing" idea.  

i applaud the school for doing this.   It shouldn't be all they do, but it is better than doing nothing.  

if I was a teacher, I would have already had a club of some sort accessible.

11 hours ago, aztek said:

i,m sure you can find video on you tube of a man fighting a bear with his own hands, of punching a kangaroo  with his fist,  does not mean anyone can do it, or even should, nor it is a smart thing to do.  1 freak case means nothing

Your post touches on a pet peeve of mine. Someone says that men are taller than women. A second person says that her sisters are 5'10 and 6'2. They then act like it means something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree.    It's really a "better than nothing" idea.  

i applaud the school for doing this.   It shouldn't be all they do, but it is better than doing nothing.  

if I was a teacher, I would have already had a club of some sort accessible.

Actually, I think it is worse than doing nothing.  It may embolden someone into thinking they have a chance against an armed attacker.  In the movies everyone gets knocked out with one good whack from behind.  In real life you're more likely to just p*** them off.  If I was a school shooter I'd shoot the first person I saw with a bat or a rock from the other end of the hallway.  They're often looking for specific victims or members of a certain clique and bystanders may be ignored, especially those who stay inside locked classrooms.  A better form of non-lethal defense might be bear spray.  More easily concealed, therefore more useful for a surprise attack.  Requires no fighting skills or strength.  Can also be deployed through a crack in the door, whereas a bat or rock requires clear access to the target.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aztek said:

sure you would, anyone would, but it does not mean you have much of a chance to survive, too bad second video i posted was removed, it shows  how effective that move is.  even thou teh gun man was approached from behind, and had no idea he would be attacked, still the bat swinger was shot within a second

with a bat you have pbly 0.1% chance to survive a gun assault, with a gun you have 50%, what would you pick? what is more effective?

yea but isn't the purpose of suppling the bats a last resort and not a substitute for a gun? tho i tend to agree with your assessment that a school shooter will have an unfair advantage over a bat wielding teacher i don't think the video and scenario you mentioned is as lopsided as you think. a single shooter can not have 360 degree awareness in a hallway, class room environment, all it takes is one brave or stupid soul to confront the shooter in a small space or tight corner, the gun might jam, in-between ammo clip changes distracted etc 

i would choose a gun any day of the week if i was a teacher over a baseball bat and a base ball bat over nothing. maybe teachers should be armed with a hand gun. 

14 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

yea but isn't the purpose of suppling the bats a last resort and not a substitute for a gun? tho i tend to agree with your assessment that a school shooter will have an unfair advantage over a bat wielding teacher i don't think the video and scenario you mentioned is as lopsided as you think. a single shooter can not have 360 degree awareness in a hallway, class room environment, all it takes is one brave or stupid soul to confront the shooter in a small space or tight corner, the gun might jam, in-between ammo clip changes distracted etc 

i would choose a gun any day of the week if i was a teacher over a baseball bat and a base ball bat over nothing. maybe teachers should be armed with a hand gun. 

like i said there is 0.1 percent your "brave soul" will succeed, and 99.9% he will die.  

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, aztek said:

Yup, that pretty much tells the tale.

IMHO, the bats will be very useful.... for teachers that need to pretiect themselves against unarmed attackers.

Their own students, I mean.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 3:03 PM, Timonthy said:

A higher prevalence of corporal punishment in schools might just be the answer!

Say what? Your blaming the victims? And what is your definition of corporal punishment. A court marshal? Public flogging? Ooh I know, the strap! Remember that? I do. What a joke. I was sentenced without a trial, then when the strap couldn't penetrate the hay bailing callouses on my hands he proceeded to strap my forearms. This bust major blood vessels in my arm and I needed medical care. Principal was charged with assault and fired. Violence towards students begets more violence down the road.

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

I have two 3 pound fish bonkers that I keep by my front and back doors. If I hit someone with it, well.... they're going to look like my last halibut did. Solid Yew wood aka iron wood. With a wrist thong so that if I lose grip, I can still swing it nun chuka style. As a last resort I would say, "get em" to my pair of well trained guard dogs. Maybe Security should have some trained dogs. Better a dead dog than a child. It may also provide more time to respond to the threat. Dog sees a gun, dog goes for the wrist. It's hard to shoot anyone with 80 lbs of angry dog grinding your wrist bones to mush.

Hank

On 13/04/2018 at 11:55 PM, aztek said:

Do the search. There are literally hundreds of different videos. 

Having said all of this, the tiny size of the mini bats these people where issued is rediculous.

On 13/04/2018 at 8:03 AM, Timonthy said:

A higher prevalence of corporal punishment in schools might just be the answer!

Because belting someone will make thrm less likely to want to murder people at school?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kismit said:

Do the search. There are literally hundreds of different videos. 

Having said all of this, the tiny size of the mini bats these people where issued is rediculous.

feel free to post one that supports your argument, i'm not gonna do that for you

10 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Say what? Your blaming the victims? And what is your definition of corporal punishment. A court marshal? Public flogging? Ooh I know, the strap! Remember that? I do. What a joke. I was sentenced without a trial, then when the strap couldn't penetrate the hay bailing callouses on my hands he proceeded to strap my forearms. This bust major blood vessels in my arm and I needed medical care. Principal was charged with assault and fired. Violence towards students begets more violence down the road.

Hank

Sorry to have offended you Hank. What happened to you was horrible and I would never have meant to offend deliberately. 

I was just aiming to make a sarcastic and thought provoking observation on the topic. 

8 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Because belting someone will make thrm less likely to want to murder people at school?

Please see the above. 

But in reality, it would make some less likely to offend, and some more.

I had not added any commentary as to whether I think it is right or wrong. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

yet in real world, school shootings happens where punishment of students basically does not exist, and when they have way too much protection, they are not even punished for bulling other students, who in return commit those murders, btw those bullied get in trouble themselves when they do fight back.   

Edited by aztek

5 hours ago, aztek said:

yet in real world, school shootings happens where punishment of students basically does not exist, and when they have way too much protection, they are not even punished for bulling other students, who in return commit those murders, btw those bullied get in trouble themselves when they do fight back.   

So your solution to bullying is to be the bigger, nastier bully? 

Meh, who didn't experience bullying in school?

And none of us went and shot it up. 

Blame the actual perpetrator.

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So your solution to bullying is to be the bigger, nastier bully? 

how is punishing a bully or fighting back is equal to bigger nastier bully?  

8 hours ago, Timonthy said:

Sorry to have offended you Hank. What happened to you was horrible and I would never have meant to offend deliberately. 

I was just aiming to make a sarcastic and thought provoking observation on the topic. 

Please see the above. 

But in reality, it would make some less likely to offend, and some more.

I had not added any commentary as to whether I think it is right or wrong. 

No problem. It just brought back bad memories. Not your fault and I apologise for snapping at you. I should have posted the notsureifserious.gif first. Have a great weekend.

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, aztek said:

how is punishing a bully or fighting back is equal to bigger nastier bully?  

How do you teach someone hurting people is wrong when you hurt people to enforce the rules? All that teaches is if you’re bigger, you get to enforce your rules through violence.