Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ann Sullivan, RIP

markdohle

Ann Sullivan, RIP

I first met Ann Sullivan, in 1995, and hired her to work in our kitchen.  My first impression of her was mixed.  She gave off the impression of a woman who had been through a lot and had some rough edges.  Yet at the same time, she had a good sense of humor and had a streak of stubbornness, that I liked.  She worked in our kitchen and was a good worker and for the most part got along well with the others who work there as well.

One day her humor came out.  I walked in to see how things were going in the kitchen.  At that time Ann had a bad habit of waiting until the garbage pail was almost overflowing before emptying it.  So I asked her “Ann, would you please tell me, why you wait till the garbage pail gets so full, and heavy before you empty it?”  So she looked at me and gave me her beautiful smile and said:  “Because I am waiting for a big burly man to pick it up”.   I laughed and took it out to the back and put it in the container for the pig-man to come and get. 

One day a guest came and told me that last night, Ann, came out and told the guest that they had to do dishes, that she had too much to do.  So they all pitched in and helped and found it humorous.  Though I did talk to her about it.

She did have a temper, and I remember that it got pretty bad in the kitchen for a time.  She would bring her problems (like many do) and without knowing it, take out her frustration on whoever was close enough.  I knew that if she was acting this way, it was because she was carrying some heavy burden(s), and was just releasing tension.  So I talked to her and asked her to leave her troubles and problems at home.  If not I may have to let her go.  To her credit, she took it well, and things got better for a while.  I was very happy about that, for once you got to know Ann, she was very easy to love.  She had a good dose of humility, she could listen to others when they were honest with her.

One day I found out that she was not taking her medicine.  She had a bad heart, and it was important for her to be compliant.  At that time, I was working in the infirmary, so I was conscious of how important it was to be faithful in taking one’s prescribed medicine.  She fought me on it.  “The meds are too expensive, so I will wait until payday and see what happens”.  I let her know that we as a community don’t want her to do that, all she need do is to let me know and we will help her in getting her meds.  Like I said, she was a tad stubborn.  I lost that one.

She really loved her family and did everything she could for them.  She would bring one of her grand-daughters with her to work.  She was a nice little girl who took a liking to our Br. ET (his nickname), who is now deceased.  I once teased the granddaughter and said:  “You like ET more than me, I am very, very jealous”.  Ann roared over that and the granddaughter guessed that I was joking. 

Inside, Ann was a very devout woman, who loved God with her whole heart.  That is one reason she was able to get through life.  She was a brave woman and never backed down from her responsibilities.  One day she told me about an experience she had in our church.  She told me that she was kneeling on the steps that go up to our sanctuary.  She then fell asleep.  As she slept she had this dream, and she told me the dream with some wonder.  I filled me with wonder as well and I remember it after all these years.  “As I was kneeling in the church (in the dream) the most beautiful bluebird came and landed on my hand”.  I found the image striking since I have a special love of ‘bluebirds’.  When I see one they fill me with joy.  This dream also filled Ann with joy and told me something about her soul, her faith, and her love, that could be hidden from sight, until one got to know her. 

She had many friends and it is easy to see why.  She was herself at all times, and in that shines forth a childlike soul.  The last time I saw her, I guess it was a few months ago, she was very thin and was having some trouble breathing, so I knew that her time was short.  I was able to tell her that I loved her before she left. 

Ann will be missed because she was salt and pepper, with double salt in her personality.  She was brave, honest, and stubborn and could be cantankerous at times….but who isn’t.  She was a normal human being who not afraid to be herself, but at the same time, did respond when spoken to about it. 

Ann and I weren’t friends, but we both had affection for one another and will miss her smile and her down to earthiness. 

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

The was a great eulogy to a close friend. I'm sorry for your loss Brother Mark. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1