Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why more U.S. believe in ghosts than Darwin

rashore

A Pew Research Poll from 2017 indicated that only a third of the American public fully buys Charles Darwin's theory of evolution of natural selection — the idea that humans and all other life on Earth change over time.

A quarter of Americans believe in evolution with the caveat that it was guided by a supreme being, while 34 percent say humans have existed in our present form since the beginning of time, according to the poll.

By contrast, 98 percent of scientists connected to the American Association for the Advancement of Science say that humans evolved over time.

So, why the disconnect?

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_31799278/cu-conference-world-affairs-americans-science-darwin

• Like 1

It's just further proof of evolution. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREjKq5S2qHPBU27J3-mxy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

My guess would be, people from the south

Probably.

Both of my children had a science teacher that would not teach the theory of evolution. She’d play a video for them but she wouldn’t even answer questions about it. The lady was a SCIENCE teacher! 

• Sad 1

That's strange. I went to school in a little town in Georgia in the 70's and our teachers were not allowed to comment on religion at all whatsoever. When students asked about it during the teaching of evolution they said we would have to do our own research and come to our own conclusions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Probably.

Both of my children had a science teacher that would not teach the theory of evolution. She’d play a video for them but she wouldn’t even answer questions about it. The lady was a SCIENCE teacher! 

When I was in High School I had a science teacher flat out say he wouldn't teach anything regarding evolution because it was obvious god was the creator of all things.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Michelle said:

That's strange. I went to school in a little town in Georgia in the 70's and our teachers were not allowed to comment on religion at all whatsoever. When students asked about it during the teaching of evolution they said we would have to do our own research and come to our own conclusions.

But...evolution is not religion?

Or do you mean they weren't allowed to say anything at all that might be interpreted as contradicting what a small, but loud subset of Christians believe. How is a science class even possible in that setting? Gology is impossible, because you can't talk about how old formations are, history is impossible because it contradicts Biblical writings, biology is difficult without mentioning evolution etc etc etc.... 

19 hours ago, The Narcisse said:

Not just the south, but also the rest of the U.S. as well. Pew Research tends to poll the entire country. Interesting assumption though.

For folks that are interested, here is information from the 2017 Darwin survey: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/10/darwin-day/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

But...evolution is not religion?

Or do you mean they weren't allowed to say anything at all that might be interpreted as contradicting what a small, but loud subset of Christians believe. How is a science class even possible in that setting? Gology is impossible, because you can't talk about how old formations are, history is impossible because it contradicts Biblical writings, biology is difficult without mentioning evolution etc etc etc.... 

They would not let anyone derail the class by bringing up creationism. They were consistent in the fact they would not contradict the pupil's deeply held religious beliefs or maybe their own be it Pagan, Muslim or Christian. If the students dismissed evolution as myth that was fine, but they were there to learn about evolution or the possibility thereof.

• Like 1

Ghosts

Guns

Alien abductions

Walmart

Need i say more.

Well this fills me full of hope for the future of the human race. 

Saying that, I had to defend the existence of dinosaurs the other day so I shouldn't be surprised.

On 4/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, The Narcisse said:

Wait a minute! Whats wrong with people from the South?

• Like 1

Half of Britons do not believe in evolution, survey finds

Half of British adults do not believe in evolution, with at least 22% preferring the theories of creationism or intelligent design to explain how the world came about, according to a survey.

The poll found that 25% of Britons believe Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is "definitely true", with another quarter saying it is "probably true". Half of the 2,060 people questioned were either strongly opposed to the theory or confused about it.

cont...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/feb/01/evolution-darwin-survey-creationism

Edited by Michelle

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Half of British adults do not believe in evolution

As I said, I had to defend the existence of dinosaurs just the other day. America doesn't have the monopoly on stupid.

• Like 1

Half of Britons don't believe in evolution, and a quarter believe in Creationism.

82% of Britons believe in the supernatural; 68% believe they have experienced a supernatural event; and 56% believe they have experienced a haunting.

17 minutes ago, Kota said:

Evolution MUST be FAKE because GOD

Which is weird, because both the Church of England and the Catholic Church don’t really have a problem with evolution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Which is weird, because both the Church of England and the Catholic Church don’t really have a problem with evolution.

It seems to be smaller branches that do (mainly)

1 hour ago, Kota said:

It seems to be smaller branches that do (mainly)

Probsbly because they have to differentiate themselves from real churches.