Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Friday the 13th scares us

Still Waters

The creepiest day of the month has returned: Friday the 13th.

In 2017, there were two ill-fated Fridays: the more mundane January 13 and the spookier October 13. This year, there are two more: April 13 and July 13. It seems that no matter how many such moments pass us by, the dreaded day continues to inspire unease and fears of misfortune.

There's no logical reason to fear the occasional coincidence of any day and date. But Friday the 13th can still have noticeable impacts. Sometimes we create them in our own minds—for good and ill.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/10/what-is-friday-13th-superstition-facts-science/

• Like 2

Never thought about it, let alone feared it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The only time I've been wary of Friday the 13th was when we were to put on a play in the church hall, it had been organised by our Sunday school teacher and there were only about six of us girls in it. We were reluctant to perform on that particular day but went ahead with it anyway, as it turned out it went down very well without any problems. Now that's a blast from my past lol!

It's silly to think that 'bad luck' can happen simply because of a certain date on the calendar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Piney said:

Never thought about it, let alone feared it. 

I've thought about it.. interesting aspect of lore. I don't fear it though, it's just another day for me.

• Like 6

Frankly the whole cult that's built up around the number 13 seems a bit tedious to me, I mean there's even elevators that don't have a button for 13 because "people would be afraid to push it :o" I mean come on...

31 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The only time I've been wary of Friday the 13th was when we were to put on a play in the church hall, it had been organised by our Sunday school teacher and there were only about six of us girls in it. We were reluctant to perform on that particular day but went ahead with it anyway, as it turned out it went down very well without any problems. Now that's a blast from my past lol!

It's silly to think that 'bad luck' can happen simply because of a certain date on the calendar.

I would have been worried about that too, but because I would have been afraid that less people would come than on another day, because of the superstition. I hope you had a good audience?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I would have been worried about that too, but because I would have been afraid that less people would come than on another day, because of the superstition.

Good point, I didn't think of that!

I hope you had a good audience?

It was a long time ago but seemed like a good turn out at the time. Just folk from the church mainly including our parents.

• Like 1

This morning the valve in my shower broke and the water was stuck on.  Happy Friday the 13th.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'll tell you why it scares me!

Every time a Friday the 13th occurs I get chased down by Freddie Krueger toting a chainsaw and I barely escape with my life.

Enough reason for me.

• Like 3

On Friday the 13th, if I see a ladder (like the one ahead of me now) I tempt fate by deliberately walking un-

Aaaaahhh! What the hell was that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just another day for me.  :)

• Like 5

I never needed to think about it  Friday the 13th Used to be the luckiest day of the month for me up until a few years ago, then everything went south and it became sort of like every other day.

• Sad 1

My mom was born on a Friday, the 13th of March.  She once told me that the only bad luck she'd had on a Friday the 13th was HER mom dying on a Friday the 13th of March, 42 years later,

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I went to a Welcome to Night Vale live show last Friday the 13th. I was 100% certain that I was going to die at some point during the day. Or worse, actually end up in Night Vale!

2 minutes ago, Podo said:

I went to a Welcome to Night Vale live show last Friday the 13th. I was 100% certain that I was going to die at some point during the day. Or worse, actually end up in Night Vale!

Oh I have so much envy... I had no idea there was a live show. That must have been hugely entertaining.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Oh I have so much envy... I had no idea there was a live show. That must have been hugely entertaining.

They do tours pretty regularly, it's fantastic and I highly recommend it. The live shows are super fun, The Weather is live and Disparition does all the music in real-time, and the Children's Fun Fact and Science Corner segment is always maximum audience participation. For example, Cecil had us all turn our cellphone flashlights on and hold it behind our heads, in order to "prove the existence of a bunch of angry ghosts who don't really like getting flashlights shone in their faces." It was a blast.

Some people have thought of 13 as lucky.

At the Winchester Mystery House, there were a whole bunch of things in 13.

It was supposed to help protect her from the evil spirits.

On 13/04/2018 at 2:34 PM, Orphalesion said:

Frankly the whole cult that's built up around the number 13 seems a bit tedious to me, I mean there's even elevators that don't have a button for 13 because "people would be afraid to push it :o" I mean come on...

I live on a street where house number 13 does not exist!  Apparently too many people won’t buy a house with that number.