Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Warning on Romaine Lettuce

bison

A new warning has been issued about a serious health threat from contaminated romaine lettuce.The lettuce is believed to come from the area of Yuma, Arizona, but has apparently been distributed across the United States. A very virulent strain of e-coli bacteria is involved, which may cause life-threatening illness, in some cases. Consumers are advised to avoid the use of any chopped romaine lettuce, including salad mixes in which it is an ingredient.Please find a link to an article below, with further information:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-romaine-lettuce-likely-source-of-e-coli-outbreak

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Oh my gosh...I almost had salad for lunch today (had stir fry instead). Thanks for this important update. 

Oh good, actually. Burgers, fries and pizza all weekend for health reasons.

And who said noting good comes of Friday the 13th!

• Like 3

There was a similar warning a few months ago about the same variety of lettuce, which has already been resolved. I confirmed that this is a new matter, not a mistaken rehash of that old situation. Other varieties of lettuce are apparently unaffected. Last time, I substituted Bibb lettuce for Romaine, in my favorite Caesar salad, and found it satisfactory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The eggs were distributed to a number of East coast states in the U.S., plus Colorado. They may be contaminated with salmonella, a potentially dangerous infective agent.  The link below gives further information, including a list of all the states involved, brand names, and control numbers for the affected eggs.

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm604640.htm

On the Romaine lettuce front: when shopping yesterday, I noticed that much of the prepared lettuce section was conspicuously bare in my market. Obviously in response to the warning issued. 

Edited by bison
added information, removed typo

Tried to buy Romaine to make a Caesar the other day and there was none in my small town :angry:

As noted above, I found that Bibb lettuce, also known as Butter lettuce, and Boston lettuce, wasn't a bad temporary substitute for Romaine lettuce.  

Edited by bison
inserted needed space

The number of states that received contaminated, chopped Romaine lettuce is growing. Sixteen states are  now involved. I happened to visit a market, not my regular one, yesterday. Noticed that lots of bagged, chopped Romaine lettuce was offered for sale. Given that my state is now one of those affected, it seems unfortunate that this lettuce wasn't removed. 

Please find a link, below, to an article with further details, including a full list of all the states concerned:

https://gizmodo.com/e-coli-outbreak-linked-to-romaine-lettuce-now-in-16-sta-1825384913  

Edited by bison
added information, added needed comma

I'm just not doing any salad for awhile (eating lots of stir fried veggies instead). Better safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 6:16 PM, Farmer77 said:

Tried to buy Romaine to make a Caesar the other day and there was none in my small town :angry:

Well thats a good thing. Hopefully the reason was because it was not safe to sell as opposed to the local cafe buying it all to put in your sandwiches. 

• Haha 1

I noticed it was gone the other day too but I travelled to my mom's house in a remote mountain town and got hearts of romaine and made a big shrimp strawberry salad. Darn. Well I seem ok :)

Yes, this problem does seem to be far more wide spread. I'm just not eating lettuce for awhile...hope they sort it out soon as I really like salad. 

• Like 1

I wonder how the lettuces became contaminated?

Most of the time it’s through the water used to irrigate the lettuce. The water becomes contaminated by animal feces, the e-coli bacteria then enters into the lettuce suspended in the water.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, internetperson said:

Another reason why I like to grow my own veggies. Lettuce is a PITA though.

I grow the picking varieties. The ones that continue to grow after you have picked a leaf or two

18 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I grow the picking varieties. The ones that continue to grow after you have picked a leaf or two

I think my soil just doesn't mix well with lettuce/cabbage etc. Broccoli, strawberries and kale or swiss chard (have that growing now which is nice cause it's expensive) grow well here. Especially broccoli. Doesn't matter though summer is coming up and it's tomato time.

7 minutes ago, internetperson said:

I think my soil just doesn't mix well with lettuce/cabbage etc. Broccoli, strawberries and kale or swiss chard (have that growing now which is nice cause it's expensive) grow well here. Especially broccoli. Doesn't matter though summer is coming up and it's tomato time.

How much organic matter do you put down? Do you add sawdust or straw at all?

Before I plant I'll double dig and add amendments but that's about it. A bit of 10-10-10 every so often. That being said I try and grow things that have an inclination to grow in the soil. Less work that way. 

Kinda off topic but have you seen those setups that have fish swimming around and they 'fertilize' the plants naturally? Looks really neat I'd like to try that but don't have the room.

Too cold here for that, but I have a pond and the pondcscum is rich in nutrients, only it is dense and lacks aeration. Every year I put down straw or sawdust, preferably with aged manure in it. But the organic matter is what counts.

Look for the parts of your garden that have black, grainy, soil. What leaves fall there and mulch. Use those. 

I love my vegie patch. The soil is incredibly important.

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Look for the parts of your garden that have black, grainy, soil. What leaves fall there and mulch. Use those. 

My soil is complete sand, I'm on an island just off the beach. When I dig I find sea shells. It's tricky planting in my backyard kinda long story but basically shoddy soil and the heat fries everything so all plants need to be protected from the sun. 

Edited by internetperson

In that situation I would create an entire garden from compost and manure. With shade  exact opposite to our clay soils and cool frosty conditions.

Gardening is science. And my next experiment is citrus fruit. I have spent a couple of years climatising a plant, built up the soul and a garden in rhe best spot I can find. Not this season but next, I expect fruit. Fingers crossed.

The needy plants I put in buckets. Funny you mention the citrus that's one of the plants that isn't needy over here. Plant and watch it grow, no soil change or fertilizer necessary. We should make a gardening thread.