Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How old is the Sphinx ?

Unusual Tournament

The elephant in the room remains: it still rains heavily in the Giza area today. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Essan said:

The elephant in the room remains: it still rains heavily in the Giza area today. 

The average rainfall of Giza today is around 1.5 cm! Is that enough for this kind of erosion in a few thousand years? No!

Uluru has been above ground for millions of years, Id hardly use it as a comparitor for something only a few thousand years old.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Uluru has been above ground for millions of years, Id hardly use it as a comparitor for something only a few thousand years old.

no one is saying that Uluru was underground just that it show's heavy rainfall marks. just like the sphinx. meaning at some time Uluru had more rainfall that it currently has, much more. 

8 hours ago, Essan said:

so why don't other monuments and structures show the same amount of torrential rain marks?

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

so why don't other monuments and structures show the same amount of torrential rain marks?

Because believe it or not, people who had been working with stone for several hundred thousand years actually became somewhat knowledgeable about stone.

Find some other monuments carved out of the same sequence of bedrock that makes up the sphinx.

There aren't any.

Do you wonder why, or is that something to be ignored?

Harte

• Like 5

5 hours ago, abhijit_b said:

The average rainfall of Giza today is around 1.5 cm! Is that enough for this kind of erosion in a few thousand years? No!

The average rainfall of Giza today is totally irrelevant to that of Giza circa 2550 BC. Your evidence that the two were the same is what exactly?

cormac

I'd point out that the sphinx and enclosure are crumbling away today at a rate so high that it far outpaces what would be needed over the past 4 thousand years to reach the degradation people ascribe to this fantastic  antiquity.

Harte

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harte said:

Because believe it or not, people who had been working with stone for several hundred thousand years actually became somewhat knowledgeable about stone.

Find some other monuments carved out of the same sequence of bedrock that makes up the sphinx.

There aren't any.

Do you wonder why, or is that something to be ignored?

Harte

I don’t disagree with your remark about stone builders, just that I don’t find it relevant to what we are discussing.

the bed rock was underneath sand. The monuments and structures were not. That’s why.

Why dont the pyramids and ajoining structures have the same vertical lines? Why werent the boat pits flooded? Theses are questions I’m still waiting for answers. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I don’t disagree with your remark about stone builders, just that I don’t find it relevant to what we are discussing.

the bed rock was underneath sand. The monuments and structures were not. That’s why.

Why dont the pyramids and ajoining structures have the same vertical lines? Why werent the boat pits flooded? Theses are questions I’m still waiting for answers. 

The portion of the bedrock  under the sand is not relevant unless you consider how that increases weathering.

Why should the pyramids have he same vertical lines? They were covered. The covering  is gone.

You ask why well sealed pits were not flooded. hat does that have to do with anything?

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 11:36 PM, stereologist said:

No.  Are you confused about Harte's photos?

I’m more confused why the back of the Sphinx is perfectly flat. All carved sphinxes have a rounded shape to the back that matches a lion. it would seem to me at least that the original head and neck were destroyed/removed and the back was shaved flat to rebuild a neck so the old neck could be carved into a head. Hence the small shrunken Pygmy head. 

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

I’m more confused why the back of the Sphinx is perfectly flat. All carved sphinxes have a rounded shape to the back that matches a lion. it would seem to me at least that the original head and neck were destroyed/removed and the back was shaved flat to rebuild a neck so the old neck could be carved into a head. Hence the small shrunken Pygmy head. 

You seem to not understand what bedrock means.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

The portion of the bedrock  under the sand is not relevant unless you consider how that increases weathering.

Why should the pyramids have he same vertical lines? They were covered. The covering  is gone.

You ask why well sealed pits were not flooded. hat does that have to do with anything?

Correct so what exactly is your point about the bedrock?

Just now, stereologist said:

You seem to not understand what bedrock means.

backpedaling won’t help you understand either. 

Correct so what exactly is your point about the bedrock?

So you agree that all of your statements are without merit. Thanks.

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Risky said:

backpedaling won’t help you understand either. 

So you have nothing to state and don't know what bedrock means. Thanks again

• Haha 1

LOL... only you stereo, knows what bedrock is the rest of us live in a caves.

LOL... only you stereo, knows what bedrock is the rest of us live in a caves.

What happens to bedrock covered in sediment?

1 minute ago, stereologist said:

What happens to bedrock covered in sediment?

try asking Fred Flintstone...

My recollection of the Sphinx enclosure is that Schoch's suggestion of horizontal erosional features being due to aeolian processes is faulty.

try asking Fred Flintstone...

As I already suggested you are clueless about bedrock.

Let me help my clueless friend. Limestone is subject to two types of water erosion beyond surface runoff: vadose and phreatic.

Let me ask again "What happens to bedrock covered in sediment? "

@Harte

all other ancient Egyptian representations of sphinxes are anatomical correct. Defined shoulders and haunches curved arch in back. why did the builders of the pyramids get the geometry on the pyramids rights but mess up the Sphinx?

Edited by Captain Risky

all other ancient Egyptian representations of sphinxes are anatomical correct. Defined shoulders and haunches curved arch in back. why did the builders of the pyramids get the geometry on the pyramids rights but mess up the Sphinx?

Do you understand what bedrock means? I seriously doubt it.

Besides your statement is irrelevant.