Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Captain Risky

How old is the Sphinx ?

647 posts in this topic

ShadowSot
3 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I think Captain was kidding. I hope he was kidding.

I think so too but... 

• Haha 1

Captain Risky
1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

I think Captain was kidding. I hope he was kidding.

why did you go and spoilt.

Harte
3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You want him to prove a stealth culture? What’s next, tell us what the colour blue tastes like?

Wait, now.

It's easy enough to prove stealth culture. All you need is stealth evidence.

Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean it's not all around you 24-7.

Harte

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jaylemurph

Look at the mighty Basset: he takes naught from the environment but ham and leaves naught but biodegradable poo. 

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Harte

photo bassetsphinx.jpg

Harte

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

jaylemurph
1 hour ago, Harte said:

photo bassetsphinx.jpg

Harte

That's so awesome. I might steal that image for my avatar pic.

(You can't tell me that's not deeply pleasing to the inner psyche.)

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

ShadowSot
35 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

That's so awesome. I might steal that image for my avatar pic.

(You can't tell me that's not deeply pleasing to the inner psyche.)

--Jaylemurph

Do it. I did. 

kmt_sesh
4 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Do it. I did. 

I think a lot of us burrow from one another. I remember making your Durante sphinx and just found the original comp from December 2015.

Durante-Sphinx.jpg.83b63286d0fa17630e30d78c3d603c54.jpg

And if I'm not mistaken, you were the inspiration for my "Overlord" tagline.

• Like 2

ShadowSot
4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I think a lot of us burrow from one another.

Who told you about the secret Tibetan enlightened tunnels of secrecy? 

4 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

I remember making your Durante sphinx and just found the original comp from December 2015.

Durante-Sphinx.jpg.83b63286d0fa17630e30d78c3d603c54.jpg

And if I'm not mistaken, you were the inspiration for my "Overlord" tagline.

Yes indeedy. Sadly, I can't find the file for my original avatar. 

MDagger

Ahh I miss your old avatar, reminded me of my granpa .....

MDagger

• Like 1

Essan

So do you mean that some of you have avatar pics that have been photoshopped?!  Not actually real pictures?!!!   I am disappointed.   Does this mean kmt_sesh isn;t as good looking (for his age) after all?  :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Harte
5 hours ago, MDagger said:

Ahh I miss your old avatar, reminded me of my granpa .....

MDagger

I like the current one so much I can't even remember the last one.

It manages to capture the essence of fringe inanity by combining only 2 aspects - the "mystery" of the sphinx and Betty and Barney Hill.

With a side of Betty and Barney Rubble implied, it seems.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But that's an aspect of great art - the inspiration it evokes in the viewer.

Harte

ETA: I stole the basset sphinx from the internet - I forget where.  H.

Edited by Harte
  • Like 2

The Wistman

Zahi has provided us with what is (I think) an excellent overview of the history of restorations of the Sphinx, also noting some of the issues and problems encountered when carrying out same.  Some questions may be answered by referring to this page.  One section jumped out at me:

Phase IV of the Sphinx conservation:
Baraize (1925-1936)

Many centuries ensued before the next phase of conservation was undertaken, this time by Emile Baraize. For almost eleven years Baraize cleared the area around the Sphinx to free it from sand. The dimensions of these undertakings had their only precedents in the reign of Thutmosis IV in 1400 BC and in the Roman period. This is made particularly clear by Baraize's records, which are comprised of notes and 226 photographs.

Baraize's restoration program (phase IV) and its consequences are summarized as follows:

1) Baraize's clearing operations revealed that the old kingdom stones returned to their original positions by Thutmosis were again falling down. The records show that a crack located at top center divided the Sphinx into two parts. The head was in bad condition. A large passage, the size of which is indicated by the workmen standing in it, was open on the north ridge. Baraize restored the head with cement, for at the time it was deemed necessary for the protection of the head. But since we now know from the UNESCO investigations that the upper part of the Sphinx is relatively strong, it is now desirable to reverse this work. The cement restoration of the head is not good and obscures the impressiveness of the Sphinx. Therefore, one suggests that Baraize's restoration of the head be reversed.

2) Baraize closed the northern passage with masonry. It would be of advantage to open it in order to view the interior of the lion's body and take samples. The northern side of the Sphinx is a big problem, as the deterioration of the casing stones here is in a more advanced state.

3) Baraize restored the crack on the top of the Sphinx with cement and replaced the old kingdom stones.

4) He also restored many other parts on the Sphinx, which were recorded by Lehner in 1979. Baraize's work can be seen now on the left and right shoulder of the Sphinx and on the southern shoulder where he restored a fallen chunk from the mother rock.

Also parts on the southern, northern, and the back of the lion body were restored.

However, most of Baraize's restorations have been taken out and restored with the new method currently in use on the south side (see phase VI of the Sphinx conservation).

http://guardians.net/hawass/sphinx2.htm

Oh, and I suppose this:

5ae36f8272039_chihuahuasphinx.jpg.981f4a48cc18852bb46927855c07c772.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

docyabut2
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Captain Risky said:

Sphinx_of_Hetepheres.jpg

article-2626336-1DC6FD8500000578-560_634

seems to me that Djedfre's sphinx is an improvement over the Giza sphinx. besides, which supposed Egyptian pharaoh built the Giza sphinx? 

The only thing is the Sphinx looks more like a  feminine.. :huh:

• Like 1

docyabut2

Heston says the first stone way before the Egyptians ,the form maybe was a form of a  African queen.

Edited by docyabut2

docyabut2

Heston says the first stone way before the Egyptians ,the form maybe was a form of a animal or a  African queen.

Edited by docyabut2

docyabut2

In a way I have to agree with Heston  that first stone before the egyptains was a form before the rest of the body was form, and the body is separated. but Djedfre's  was the creator   :huh: 

Edited by docyabut2

Captain Risky
56 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

The only thing is the Sphinx looks more like a  feminine.. :huh:

its a little more complicated than that, mate. the whole structure is seriously outta whack. the head of the sphinx is far too small. the neck is non existent by for a stump. the back is flat, the haunches are not there and the front legs are far to big. we can speculate alot but about the date it was built, the purpose and so forth but what you can't logically deny is that it has been reworked. also there is little evidence that the Egyptians would have carved such an important structure when they were known for building in stone more that carving such big projects. generally the sphinx is a poor piece of work that in its current form, that would have made the builders of the pyramids cringe with embarrassment. unless of course it was significantly older and belonged to another culture and the ancient Egyptians decided to appropriate the mysticism and legend of the sphinx and make it there own. 

as for a famine aspect well all felines have an abundance of feminine attributes.

docyabut2

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

its a little more complicated than that, mate. the whole structure is seriously outta whack. the head of the sphinx is far too small. the neck is non existent by for a stump. the back is flat, the haunches are not there and the front legs are far to big. we can speculate alot but about the date it was built, the purpose and so forth but what you can't logically deny is that it has been reworked. also there is little evidence that the Egyptians would have carved such an important structure when they were known for building in stone more that carving such big projects. generally the sphinx is a poor piece of work that in its current form, that would have made the builders of the pyramids cringe with embarrassment. unless of course it was significantly older and belonged to another culture and the ancient Egyptians decided to appropriate the mysticism and legend of the sphinx and make it there own. 

as for a famine aspect well all felines have an abundance of feminine attributes.

The only thing I can agree it was a feminine Djedfre's made of his wife . but it was carve down to looked like Khafra. just have difference agrees to find out the truth.

• Like 1

kmt_sesh
14 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

The only thing I can agree it was a feminine Djedfre's made of his wife . but it was carve down to looked like Khafra. just have difference agrees to find out the truth.

Djedefre appears to have helped his father, Khufu, finish the Great Pyramid complex, but then he moved on to Abu Rawash for his monuments. It's unlikely he would've commissioned something so important that wasn't even associated with him.

• Like 1

kmt_sesh

Once again, there were no megalithic societies in Lower Egypt prior to 3100 BCE, so that idea is definitively out.

• Like 1

Harte
9 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Heston says the first stone way before the Egyptians ,the form maybe was a form of a  African queen.

Yeah, well, they finally got his guns too.

Harte

• Haha 1

jaylemurph
18 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

I still think your idea that there's a "proper" look for the wholly fictional sphinges is sweet.

--Jaylemurph

• Haha 1

Captain Risky
19 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

which ever way you look at it the simple fact is that the sphinx as a monument has been recrafted and built to different spec's to what the pyramids and the rest of the Giza plateau. world renowned historical architect Jonathan Folye say's so too.