Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legendary Radio Host Art Bell dies at 72

Mister No Name

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/art-bell-death_us_5ad23ac0e4b0edca2cba533b

Art Bell, Paranormal Radio Show Host, Dies At 72

(Reuters) - U.S. radio host Art Bell, known for his discussions of conspiracy theories and paranormal phenomena during his popular syndicated show “Coast to Coast AM”, has died at his home in Nevada aged 72, the local sheriff’s office said.

The show developed a cult following after he created it in 1993 and was touted as the country’s most listened to overnight radio program. It featured Bell expounding on topics as diverse as UFO sightings, Bigfoot and crop circles.

Bell retired in 2015 citing safety concerns for his family. His studios were located in his hometown of Pahrump, in Nye County, Nevada.

Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly announced the death of the “longtime resident” in a brief video statement. She said he died on Friday, and that an autopsy was scheduled for later this week to determine the cause of death.

Edited by Mind Explorer
  • Like 3

Even if I thought some of the shows were bogus in relation to the content spoken of, the show itself was pretty entertaining. R.I.P Mr. Bell.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, sjlennon said:

art bell died on friday the 13th?  how appropriate or ironic, depending on how you look at it.

Paranormal to the end.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mind Explorer said:

Paranormal to the end.

Quite fitting.

Edited by Vilasarius
  • Like 3

I remember listening to Art when he was on just one station, KDWN, Las Vegas, Nevada. He had a program dealing  with all things strange and paranormal on Saturday nights, called 'Area 2000'. This would have been around 1993-94. 

• Like 2

He was the best. He was the king of paranormal talk show hosts. He can't and won't be replaced. Millions of fans' worlds are sadder today. 

• Like 6

RIP Mr. Bell. Sleep well.

• Like 2

R.I.P. :( Always loved your radio show. It was the best.

• Like 2

Did he suffer from anything? I think 72 is a relatively ''young age'' these days.

Anyway, his shows brought me into the world of paranormal/UFO/conspiracy podcasts.

A great radio host he was! R.I.P

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 3

R.I.P. - Used to listen to C to C several times a week back a decade or so ago.

• Like 1

No one could do it like Art did.  I used to love listening to his show and its entertaining brand of odd.  In that subject matter he had no equal as he brought an intelligent reasoning and analysis to the topics he covered even if he didn't always believe in what his guests were saying.  I regret that he was never able to beat his big business radio industry masters as they continued to bring him down through non-compete contracts and, in the end, nefarious threats, IMO.  I guess he now knows if any of those spiritual theories he pondered on-air were correct.  RIP Art!

• Like 2

I always wanted to listen to C to C but couldn't pull it in on my radio. The nearest AM station was 40 miles away but reception was poor.

• Like 1

Pretty entertaining guy.   He'll be missed.  

I've always wondered how much of the stuff he talked about that he actually believed.  

• Like 4

On 4/14/2018 at 10:37 PM, Clockwork_Spirit said:

Did he suffer from anything? I think 72 is a relatively ''young age'' these days.

Anyway, his shows brought me into the world of paranormal/UFO/conspiracy podcasts.

A great radio host he was! R.I.P

I was wondering about that too. It says in wikipedia that he suffered from COPD, which makes sense. Because Bell was a heavy smoker for a number of years. My grandfather had the same thing and it was caused by heavy smoking. Eventually it caused my grandfather to have a heart attack and pass away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell

[scroll down to subtitle Death and read under that]

man what a shame. Open minded guy. great to listen to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Pretty entertaining guy.   He'll be missed.  

I've always wondered how much of the stuff he talked about that he actually believed.  

My thoughts exactly!   I listened to his very entertaining show when working late because he did a great job entertaining his audience which is job number one.   I have no idea how much he actually believed (0% for me) but enjoyed the "show" he put on and no one should mistake his skill at providing a show.  I agree with a post from above that said "No one will ever do it better."   I am sad he has passed as the world has lost a unique talent.

• Like 4

Enjoyed the art bell radio era, he will be missed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Merc14 said:

My thoughts exactly!   I listened to his very entertaining show when working late because he did a great job entertaining his audience which is job number one.   I have no idea how much he actually believed (0% for me) but enjoyed the "show" he put on and no one should mistake his skill at providing a show.  I agree with a post from above that said "No one will ever do it better."   I am sad he has passed as the world has lost a unique talent.

Being an entertainer and needing ratings makes it hard to judge most radio personalities.  

• Like 3

Art Bell enabled the wide dissemination of many fantastic tales. I like the way he refrained from attacking the people who told these stories, while still asking and allowing others to ask pointed questions. He obviously didn't believe everything he was told, yet he didn't feel the need to defend an already powerful orthodoxy against these lone eccentrics, or build himself up by knocking others down.  

• Like 1