Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

One chance and I blew it...

Waspie_Dwarf

A few years ago I had the opportunity to use that classic movie line, "follow that cab," for real, but someone beat me to it. I may never get the chance again.

So what was your one, failed chance for glory, that moment you very nearly become a legend, the one that got away?

Where possible keep it light and fun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Being almost 50 years old... I find myself using quotes in situations that come from the 1980s and early '90s, and finding that the 30 somethings that I work with have no idea what I think was just so funny. Sigh....

• Like 5

Many years ago, when I was actively working in and around Africa, a couple of guys I met, very briefly, told me they were making a documentary in the Congo...someone had told them to find me and hire me to be part of their expedition, an expedition in which I could fill several roles? 

They offered me a job, nowhere near as much as I was earning at the time... although I was working the doors after work for extra cash at a really run down hole in Angola after work for extra cash lol...

I was too busy trying to work the club and keep myself alive to really ask them any questions about the contract... all I really knew is that they were heading to the Cong to track down and find proof of the "Mokèlé-mbèmbé"... at the time I had no idea what that was, I didn't ask any questions, I assumed it was drug lord or warlord... 

Several says later when I had a day off I looked into it and realised exactly what it was... my love for the Unknown, especially Cryto unknown, missed out on an educational experience of a lifetime...So it was back to work protecting rich people I hated.. "If only"? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 15/04/2018 at 3:29 PM, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Many years ago, when I was actively working in and around Africa, a couple of guys I met, very briefly, told me they were making a documentary in the Congo...someone had told them to find me and hire me to be part of their expedition, an expedition in which I could fill several roles? 

They offered me a job, nowhere near as much as I was earning at the time... although I was working the doors after work for extra cash at a really run down hole in Angola after work for extra cash lol...

I was too busy trying to work the club and keep myself alive to really ask them any questions about the contract... all I really knew is that they were heading to the Cong to track down and find proof of the "Mokèlé-mbèmbé"... at the time I had no idea what that was, I didn't ask any questions, I assumed it was drug lord or warlord... 

Several says later when I had a day off I looked into it and realised exactly what it was... my love for the Unknown, especially Cryto unknown, missed out on an educational experience of a lifetime...So it was back to work protecting rich people I hated.. "If only"? 

Bloody hell. What year was this. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found myself saying 'hold onto your hat' today. I didn't mean it as an expression I meant physically hold onto your hat yo stop it blowing off while I boot it with the top down. I still felt like an idiot after saying it though.

• Haha 1

I love having the chance to use movie quotes in everyday life. The only problem is that I get so excited that I end up saying them at a highly inappropriate volume, then make everyone uncomfortable as I laugh awkwardly and stare around the room to see who got the reference.

Then I leave.

• Thanks 1

I occasionally appear on a TV programme which is filmed "live" - ie no script and all conversations entirely ad hoc.   And almost always think of something really clever and witty and memorable that I could have said, about an hour after we've finished filming ....  I also have a catch phrase I want to use, but don't think I've ever yet remembered to say it!  

• Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 12:01 PM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I love having the chance to use movie quotes in everyday life. The only problem is that I get so excited that I end up saying them at a highly inappropriate volume, then make everyone uncomfortable as I laugh awkwardly and stare around the room to see who got the reference.

Then I leave.

There's a rough areain my City called Clase, and I've always to say 'in Clase no one can hear you scream'. I finally got the chance but spoiled itbyfollowing theperson I said to until I was absolutely sure they gotthe Alien reference.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2018 at 10:44 PM, oldrover said:

Bloody hell. What year was this. 

Roughly 20 years ago..  Edited to add: Sorry I have just seen your reply, I wasn't ignoring it. 

Edited by Iilaa'mpuul'xem
  • Like 1

This topic reminds me of the parable of Talents in the Gospel. Also, remnants of the Bhagavad-gita, and a proverb from the Tao Teh Ching, that says it matters not if you answer yes or no. I'm still trying to understand that last proverb, when I think I understand it, it stops making sense again.

But, I think it's best to behave like water. Missing these chances, I think is one of the worst feelings in the world. 

Anyway, the parable of Talents, was all about a King giving gold talents to his servants when he went on a long journey. One of the servants hid the talent, while all the others spent theirs and made more gold with them. When the King came back, the servant who hid his talent thought the King would be happy that the talent was preserved. But, instead the King was angry and called him a wicked and slothful servant for not at least putting it in the bank to gain interest, and set the other servants up with his money and government position, and cast him out of the kingdom.

Well, anyway, that parable helps me take more chances in life, to avoid this thing from happening as much.

Edited by Opus Magnus

1 hour ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Roughly 20 years ago..  Edited to add: Sorry I have just seen your reply, I wasn't ignoring it. 

Yeah, no worries I do the same. Very interesting account. 

• Like 1