Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy African Legends and Myths

rashore

Africa has a rich tradition of folklore. African myths are often passed down orally between families and communities, but writers have been diligently recording these stories for decades. One thing to remember is that the African continent is enormous; its landmass could contain the United States, China, Japan, the UK, and Eastern Europe with room to spare. And of course, with so many stories from such a large area, some of them were bound to be creepy.

There are classic African folktales, myths, and modern African urban legends on this list, all of them spine-tingling. Whether they're from Madagascar, Zaire, Zimbabwe, or South Africa, these stories will keep you up at night.

https://www.ranker.com/list/creepy-african-myths/jenniferlennon

• Like 3

Africa, has an abundance of mythical creatures and I loved to hear the stories from the people when I was over there, hardly surprising a Continent of such diverse landscapes and cultures has so much folclore when you are there amongst it ... many of the stories could almost be real when you are living there and see the surroundings...however I need to read another story now to get the image of the Tokoloshe out of my head?? 

• Like 1

Except for Australian, African cryptozoology was always my favourite with by far the best monsters. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

I hiked through the Chimanimani mountains in a fog after hearing stories of the monster that makes the lost disappear without a trace. Nothing is supposed to be left behind not even tracks.

• Like 1