Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Graveyard Mania

Not A Rockstar

I love graveyards, gained that quirk from when I was a kid in Japan and became fascinated with how elaborate and fascinating they were and the cherry blossom season when it was tradition to go visit your dead and enjoy the blooms and have a picnic on the grave with your family, living and dead. Many graves in Japan feature benches for family or friends to sit for a while and visit.

I will hunt up some more links of that sort of memory I have but meanwhile here is a map of the New Orleans graveyards, which are interesting and easier to visit than Japan.

I looked at this map hoping ti sort out which one it was I saw once years ago as I was being driven through the city towards the Quarter and we passed the site of an obvious car crash during the night which had hit the wall of the cemetary and gone into a mausoleum. Car was gone, but it was gaping open and bones dangling down and everybody just business as usual all around. I had this comedic impression of those ghosts going "Yay! We are finally free!" and running down the street, ghosts and skeletons, towards Bourbon Street. But, then again, death is a dance and a lot of laughter besides the loss for me, so it is easier to laugh, maybe. The driver saw it and cussed. 

"Not again! And they just left it like that! Mama is in there, I need to go check and see she is alright I guess, later."

I felt bad for smiling. "In that grave?!"

"Ah, no, in the house just up from that one. Cars always hit this corner," he said indifferently as we drove on. Just another day in NOLA.

https://nola.curbed.com/maps/cemetery

Please add your favorites or share funny experiences in them. Or not so funny. Let's talk graves, graveyards, tombstones, any of that. Thank you.

• Like 4

Number 4 on this list is one of the most sacred Graveyards in Japan. I am hunting more links for Japanese graveyards. The others on this list are pretty cool. I love the "Merry Graveyard"!!

https://wanderluxe.theluxenomad.com/10-beautiful-cemeteries-that-are-to-die-for/

here is a search link for imagery of Okunoin Graveyard in Japan. I will find more sites in Japan like I described. This is strictly Buddhist it seems and so less like what I saw as a kid there.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=okunoin&qpvt=Okunoin&FORM=IGRE

• Like 1

striking out for pictures of the Tokyo graveyards I saw with Japanese friends during the festivals but here is a search strong that brings up a lot. Hard to see but many graves are fenced with a gate and have a seat or bench or edge where family can sit to be with the deceased and I remember going and seeing families during the cherry blossoms festival, spreading a cloth and eating right on the graves. I think this ease with death so early made an impression on me. I have always felt relaxed around graves and cemeteries.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=japan cherry blossom cemetery

• Like 2

Always wanted to visit this place:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bonaventure+cemetery+savannah+ga&qs=IM&form=QBIR&sp=2&pq=bonaventure+cemetery&sk=IM1&sc=8-20&cvid=87D8744D62B34C058DB7D2E80782B527

If your into graves try Find A Grave as well.

Also you will like this one as well:

https://www.gravestonestudies.org

I am a grave yard fanatic myself.....

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 3

Delightful topic! Cemeteries are near and dear to my heart as well. My favorite haunted cemetery is Bachelors Grove in Illinois, I’ve given blood, sweat, and tears to that place. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

there used to be a member here who basically almost only published never ending pictures he took of graveyards and did hundreds of bachelors Grove shots back in the day. I think he was so obsessed with pics he got banned for it. But maybe they are yet around. He probs had thousands on here at one time. But, they were good and sometimes, really rarely, would catch an odd thing or two, like one pic out of 500.

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

there used to be a member here who basically almost only published never ending pictures he took of graveyards and did hundreds of bachelors Grove shots back in the day. I think he was so obsessed with pics he got banned for it. But maybe they are yet around. He probs had thousands on here at one time. But, they were good and sometimes, really rarely, would catch an odd thing or two, like one pic out of 500.

Yeah, it was something halfhand, can’t remember the first part, think it started with a B. And yes, he did get banned. He plagued a bunch of other forums too and got booted off those too. I think one out of 500 might be generous, lol. I don’t think his stuff is even around anymore. 

• Like 1

Just looked him up and found a few left from one thread. Barek Halfhand. 

Me being into history I loved all of them but in thinking back there only one I ever saw that had plain in your face ghosts standing there and he said I could have it, didn't see anything in it like I did, but I lost it on a crashed HD. You know that famous ghost pic of the white lady supposedly sitting on a flat above ground sort of crypt? Probably not but if you saw it you'd be "Oh yeah, a thousand times". He was taking shots there and in the side of one in the trees were two Civil War soldiers watching him right down to the insignias on their hats. I wish I still had it, it was insanely cool.

• Like 1

We had the most gorgeous little Jewish cemetery here in NZ but it was defaced by some little a****** with swastikas and anti Semitic messages :( 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Just looked him up and found a few left from one thread. Barek Halfhand. 

Me being into history I loved all of them but in thinking back there only one I ever saw that had plain in your face ghosts standing there and he said I could have it, didn't see anything in it like I did, but I lost it on a crashed HD. You know that famous ghost pic of the white lady supposedly sitting on a flat above ground sort of crypt? Probably not but if you saw it you'd be "Oh yeah, a thousand times". He was taking shots there and in the side of one in the trees were two Civil War soldiers watching him right down to the insignias on their hats. I wish I still had it, it was insanely cool.

Yep, I know the Madonna pic. Heh, I just posted a topic about it today. And yes, Barak.. that was the first name, I couldn’t quite remember it, it’s been a while since I thought about him. Too bad you lost the pic.

I honestly do not get the anti-Semitism out there. I'd no more go deface one of their places than a Muslim or Nazi one. Heck any grave yard, but, I respect the dead, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kota said:

We had the most gorgeous little Jewish cemetery here in NZ but it was defaced by some little a****** with swastikas and anti Semitic messages :( 

You talking about Auckland? That was bad, the guys that did it were caught and charged.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Yep, I know the Madonna pic. Heh, I just posted a topic about it today. And yes, Barak.. that was the first name, I couldn’t quite remember it, it’s been a while since I thought about him. Too bad you lost the pic.

It seriously is because good as it was, nobody would not claim it was PS and the truth is, he didn't know what I was talking about so I doubt that. I wish I had it now to show. I even tried to recover it by going through a thousand or more of his pics on another sit to find it, and nope. 

It was good. They were just there side by side watching, and it was not paradoilia. Truly jolting to see. It was the ...bah I will go find the area I mean. bbiab

1 minute ago, rashore said:

You talking about Auckland? That was bad, the guys that did it were caught and charged.

Yup I am, I had the misfortune of netting one of them in my teenage years, he was not a very nice person.

• Sad 1

this pic at BG. Had she been looking, her gaze would have been roughly where this pic I lost showed the two soldiers in the trees.

The-Ghost-of-Bachelors-Grove-Cemetery.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kota said:

Yup I am, I had the misfortune of netting one of them in my teenage years, he was not a very nice person.

Oh, my you poor dear. I bet he wasn’t. Unfortunate indeed. I would hazard a guess you were unsurprised when he later turned out to do such a thing?

Just now, rashore said:

Oh, my you poor dear. I bet he wasn’t. Unfortunate indeed. I would hazard a guess you were unsurprised when he later turned out to do such a thing?

Not surprised at all, he used to hang out with all the “edgy” kids in town, they were all couch surfers who thought it was cool to be racist

58 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I honestly do not get the anti-Semitism out there. I'd no more go deface one of their places than a Muslim or Nazi one. Heck any grave yard, but, I respect the dead, I guess. 

Agreed. Not just the hate stuff, but also just general vandalism of cemeteries. There were 6-7 cases of it here in the states this week, some of them pretty bad. Of course, the weeks around Halloween are particularly bad.

10 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

I've loved graveyards since I was a kid,too, and still walk through one almost every day.  The link is to one up by where I grew up in Ohio.  There were several very creepy ones up there that I enjoyed very much.  I call that row of crypts in the picture Vampire Row just for fun.... ^_^

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/massillon-cemetery-reed-geo-claus-siebenhaar.html

this photographer does some good work besides that one! Very nice, and yes, I can easily imagine this being a row of Vampire homes in a neighborhood lol.

@Alien Origins had time to look over the pics you shared about Bonadventure and it really is awesome! I personally find one like that to be more interesting than the NOLA style. I like all the statues and art put into it all and the draping moss just begs for it to be haunted :D 

such a classic!

Hi not a rockstar, sorry for my late reply, im from the post before of our graveyard exploring! I got into it many years ago as a young kid when i ran away from home and spent a night in a graveyard where a friend was burried and many things happened that nigjt ill never explain or forget! Couldnt comment on the last post as it was classed as advertising? Bit ridiculous when there was no monetary gain fpr myself and it was sharing something on topic... i thought sharing thinga like that was the pointof this forum? Lol what got you into it amyway?

1 hour ago, TheParanormalDetectives said:

Hi not a rockstar, sorry for my late reply, im from the post before of our graveyard exploring! I got into it many years ago as a young kid when i ran away from home and spent a night in a graveyard where a friend was burried and many things happened that nigjt ill never explain or forget! Couldnt comment on the last post as it was classed as advertising? Bit ridiculous when there was no monetary gain fpr myself and it was sharing something on topic... i thought sharing thinga like that was the pointof this forum? Lol what got you into it amyway?

It may surprise you to learn this, but posting a video with a self-promoting commentary asking people to like and subscribe to your service while also not giving any commentary about the video itself does fall under no spamming- and is against the site rules. Also against the site rules is posting commentary criticizing moderation. I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the site rules found here: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

I will save myself the read and refrian from using the site in the future, i was looking for a site where i could talk with fellow enthusiasts about the paranormal not hostilities from patronising internet worriors on a power trip... i fear the way the site is run you may be the only person left soon... all the best!

2 hours ago, TheParanormalDetectives said:

I have had experiences as far back as I remember but I think my love for graveyards came when my Dad got stationed in Japan in the 60's and I lived there for three years as a small child. I spent a lot of time with Japanese friends and they have a very close relationship with their dead kin and graveyards there were firnedly places of cherry blossoms, trees and beauty and places to go as a family. That never left me :).

A word of caution here especially for those that love to go trekking in older graveyards..Please be careful where you walk...A lot of the older grave are just below ground and you could end up in the ground with the deceased....Vaults were not used until the 50's and a lot of the older graves 16, 17, 18 and 1900 ones are mostly wooden coffins....Not trying to discourage anyone just do not want anyone getting hurt.

Cemeteries are great places to visit and full of history but they can be dangerous as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1