Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The transportation means of ancient Mexico

Roc Koch

I realized that the Ancient Mexican Ballgame was created as a secondary activity. Their rubber ballbearings were used to move all the heavy stones all over Mexico. They did not need to discover the wheel, they had ballbearings on those causeways they so meticulously constructed. Ron O. Cook told this to the world long ago.

Wouldn’t the weight of the stone deform the rubber into uselessness?

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Wouldn’t the weight of the stone deform the rubber into uselessness?

More likely shatter it.  The rubber produced for the balls was of a different process than we use to make balls today. 

And the question remains... if there were such balls, why didn't the Spanish (who were there at the end) record them for this purpose?

• Like 5

I think this is one of those ideas that might seems great at first, but when you look closer at it there are some pretty big issues with it. Sir Wearer of Hats and Kenemet have allready pointed out some.  

Another reason is that the Central American pyramids use relatively small stones, so nothing that is outside the technology that we know they had at the time. 

• Like 5

And you "realized" that....how exactly?

Did you go there to look at the things? Perform experiments with authentic materials to see whether you can replicate that process? Done all the math involved?

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to The transportation means of ancient Mexico

Devil's advocacy time:

14 hours ago, Kenemet said:

More likely shatter it.  The rubber produced for the balls was of a different process than we use to make balls today. 

Questionable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/science/22obrubber.html

14 hours ago, Kenemet said:

And the question remains... if there were such balls, why didn't the Spanish (who were there at the end) record them for this purpose?

14 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think this is one of those ideas that might seems great at first, but when you look closer at it there are some pretty big issues with it. Sir Wearer of Hats and Kenemet have allready pointed out some.  

Another reason is that the Central American pyramids use relatively small stones, so nothing that is outside the technology that we know they had at the time. 

What about the Olmec, the so-called rubber people?  Isn't that who the concept was concocted in relation to? Megalthic stonework and preceded contact.

6 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'd have thought they'd have found a substantial number of them if their use was prolific.

Rubber deteriorates. Where are all the Poc A Tok balls that must've been in use?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Roc Koch said:

I realized that the Ancient Mexican Ballgame was created as a secondary activity. Their rubber ballbearings were used to move all the heavy stones all over Mexico. They did not need to discover the wheel, they had ballbearings on those causeways they so meticulously constructed. Ron O. Cook told this to the world long ago.

I think you realized incorrectly.  The ball game and variations of it were spread across a good part of the  american  continents.  It was a lot more than Monday night football or the NBA.  According to reports from early European witnesses, it seemed to have great religious and political importance.  

I don't envision a stone moving crew taking a break and speculating what they could do with rubber ball bearings thus inventing a multicultural passtime

Logs would have been better. for rolling stones. 

Stone balls and well fitted stone round grooves in roads might have been a tip off. 

How meticulously were those causeways constructed?  A slight change in elevation or a pothole would not be friendly to a ball bearing.  It seems so unlikely,  and many have already mentioned how inappropriate rubber would be for the purpose.  

• Like 3

There was a recent find in Mexico that had some 30 of these hard bound rubber formations that had very hard stones wrapped with rubber to form the necessary configurations for the above breakthrough. I did not realize incorrectly. I was spot on. 

18 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

There was a recent find in Mexico that had some 30 of these hard bound rubber formations that had very hard stones wrapped with rubber to form the necessary configurations for the above breakthrough. I did not realize incorrectly. I was spot on. 

Explain the mechanics of movement please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roc Koch said:

Hi Roc Kosh

Well if that is the case then why not post a link that supports your claim surely you read about this breakthrough so make it available for the rest of us.

jmccr8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roc Koch said:

I will maintain you were incorrect about the significance of the ball game.

In the technology we know, ball bearings are stainless steel treated to be super hard.  A soft bearing would deform under heavy load. Friction would heat the deformed substance as it rolled.  It would disintegrate most likely.

What is your greatest desire, to explain the transport of heavy objects or to find another use for hard rubber balls?

• Like 1

Sorry, I did not mean specifically a situation held as the worldly understanding of ball bearings but an effect. 

45 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

Sorry, I did not mean specifically a situation held as the worldly understanding of ball bearings but an effect. 

Could you translate that to something my poor tired brain can understand?  I think I know what ball bearings are and what hard round balls are.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

Here is some more information on the concept.  http://blog.world-mysteries.com/strange-artifacts/rubber-olmec-balls/

Have you ever stood on a medicine ball and deformed it? I have. I only weighed a hundred or so kilos. Now imagine a stone weighing a tonne. I cannot imagine the mechanics of this working, sorry.

• Like 2

Natural rubber is quite soft. That's why it makes such a good eraser. Friction easily erodes it, as well as pencil marks.  If the ancient meso-Americans discovered vulcanization, or some similar process for hardening rubber, the evidence for this should be discoverable.  I encourage you to search for evidence of changes in the structure of the rubber used by those cultures, or appropriate chemical additions to it, like sulphur, which would render it harder and more durable than natural rubber. 

• Like 3

I think you are mistaken, they didn't use rubber balls to move stones the stuck flubber on the bottoms of the stone blocks and dribbled them into place.:lol:

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
Auto corrupt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have seen some of these smaller rubber balls and they were carefully made in various sizes to accommodate the needs of the ancient Mexicans. Hard river rocks were used as the base to which the Olmecs wound rubber strips around the stones. They then created the traditional causeways to allow the transport of various products on wooden boxes with native crews working the movement. They had pushers, catchers and throwers who would feed the balls forward to be placed in the direction of travel. Much could be put in the boxes depending on the need of the ancient engineers. It was the creation of the ball bearing conveyor process that allowed the expeditious building of so many great buildings in ancient Mexico. 

17 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

I have seen some of these smaller rubber balls and they were carefully made in various sizes to accommodate the needs of the ancient Mexicans. Hard river rocks were used as the base to which the Olmecs wound rubber strips around the stones. They then created the traditional causeways to allow the transport of various products on wooden boxes with native crews working the movement. They had pushers, catchers and throwers who would feed the balls forward to be placed in the direction of travel. Much could be put in the boxes depending on the need of the ancient engineers. It was the creation of the ball bearing conveyor process that allowed the expeditious building of so many great buildings in ancient Mexico. 

How much did each stone weigh? How big are these rubber balls?

Also you stating you opinion as fact and providing no tangible third party evidence.

• Like 2

I am stating it as fact because I have researched there in Mexico at the sites, and know that the technology is there, the devices are there, the parts of the engineering mix is there, and they were as smart if not smarter than are we to have accomplished this theory. But, It is highly possible that I am right. 

7 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

I am stating it as fact because I have researched there in Mexico at the sites, and know that the technology is there, the devices are there, the parts of the engineering mix is there, and they were as smart if not smarter than are we to have accomplished this theory. But, It is highly possible that I am right. 

Do you have a background in archeology, chemistry and engineering?

Do you have any evidence you can provide to support your claim? If not then it's just your opinion and no one here will take it seriously.

• Like 2

I am a former university member of a president's office and professor of Communication Arts. I started my life in a family of Archaeological Practitioners. My uncle was the Dean of Science of a university and I studied under him. My mentor was a Nuclear Physicist. I taught Virtual Reality, Computer Design, Computer Graphics, Advanced Design and Socratic Thought. I am an old person now retired but still like to think a little. I have about 2,000 former students and they keep me interested in human thought. I want to offer as a catalyst to thought, but I understand if some think my ideas are bunk. It is ok. I will hang around as long as life allows me to help.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roc Koch said:

I am a former university member of a president's office and professor of Communication Arts. I started my life in a family of Archaeological Practitioners. My uncle was the Dean of Science of a university and I studied under him. My mentor was a Nuclear Physicist. I taught Virtual Reality, Computer Design, Computer Graphics, Advanced Design and Socratic Thought. I am an old person now retired but still like to think a little. I have about 2,000 former students and they keep me interested in human thought. I want to offer as a catalyst to thought, but I understand if some think my ideas are bunk. It is ok. I will hang around as long as life allows me to help.  

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is nobody can make an informed opinion on you claim because you don't have any tangible evidence. But unless you can provide some tangible evidence people will just state your claim is not founded on evidence thus making your claim moot.

I for one, as a physicist and engineer, can't see your theory as being correct. But I am always open to being corrected.

• Like 4

As am I always open to being corrected. 

• Like 1

Sorry you cannot make the connections to this conceptualization. It is good that there are those in my community that think it is highly possible that the ancient Mexicans did indeed make use of the numerous rubber ball bearings found all over Mexico. It will all soon come to light. Thanks for your opinion.