Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aquatic ape theory..

Kota

Wondering what ya’ll think of the aquatic ape theory? And the images in history from multiple cultures (no contact being made) of humanoid aquatic creatures.... this could be fun :)

• Like 1

I remember seeing that docudrama on Animal Planet. Mermaids: The Body Found. It had that theory about aquatic apes.

The so called marine biologist were actors.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

I remember seeing that docudrama on Animal Planet. Mermaids: The Body Found. It had that theory about aquatic apes.

Yeah it was a mockumentry but the theory is real :) I did some googling after I watched it haha

• Like 3

Don't even bother with this half-baked idea. The aquatic ape hypothesis (not theory) has been largely disregarded by anthropologists for good reason and has only seen a small resurgence thanks to the aforementioned mockumentary.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

Don't even bother with this half-baked idea. The aquatic ape hypothesis (not theory) has been largely disregarded by anthropologists for good reason and has only seen a small resurgence thanks to the aforementioned mockumentary.

I’m not saying it’s true, I just think it’s interesting, and it could be interesting to see what people think :) that’s all

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kota said:

I’m not saying it’s true, I just think it’s interesting, and it could be interesting to see what people think :) that’s all

It's been done to death for years. There really isn't anything new to discuss on this topic.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2

Elaine Morgan was the one that really fired this off....You can get her book on it at Amazon...Donna Kossy wrote a book called "Strange Creations" that discusses this theory as well...To be quite honest its a "theory" that has been met with nothing but disdain by many in the anthropology field...though like anything else it does have its proponents as well.  Not A RockStar you ask for a link:

http://www.aquaticape.org

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Hawkin said:

That's the one I saw, fake or not, It was an interesting watch, especially the Aquatic Ape theory? 

What I want to know is, when we evolved from apes to man that walks upright...where are the middle ground animals now that are evolving, the apes that should be evolving into man now? 

Does that make any sense lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Elaine Morgan was the one that really fired this off....You can get her book on it at Amazon...Donna Kossy wrote a book called "Strange Creations" that discusses this theory as well...To be quite honest its a "theory" that has been met with nothing but disdain by many in the anthropology field...though like anything else it does have its proponents as well.  Not A RockStar you ask for a link:

http://www.aquaticape.org

Thanks Alien :) 

As hypotheses go, it is at least decently thought through and reasoned. I have heard crazier things. But, I see no compelling reason to change the current models. There is not the first shred of evidence to support it. Those who came up with it have not considered the wealth of data leading to their idea is simply not there. If one buys wholly into Darwinism (and I don't), our watery stage came way back before the prototype came out of the primordial waters and learned to climb trees. 

You do remind me of a picture I just saw which I think won Nat Geo's annual photo contest? It was of an orangutan wading in water and watching for crocs as his forest is basically gone to him now. One of the saddest things I have seen.

pic is here about one scroll down, it won this year: https://www.boredpanda.com/national-geographic-nature-photographer-of-the-year-2017-winners/

Edited by Not A Rockstar
added photo link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

That's the one I saw, fake or not, It was an interesting watch, especially the Aquatic Ape theory? 

What I want to know is, when we evolved from apes to man that walks upright...where are the middle ground animals now that are evolving, the apes that should be evolving into man now? 

Does that make any sense lol 

Not really. For starters, humans are still apes. We're a type of ape. 

Humans and chimpanzees and bonobos split off a long while ago, a common ancestor gave rise to the different groups who went on their own way. Before that split you get the common ancestors of other apes and so on. 

There are steps on the record, you get more primitive hominids like australapithecus that have way to more modern hominids. 

There isn't really a goal for evolution, it isn't trying to produce man. It's just trying to produce creatures that are well adapted for their environment. Chimpanzees are good where they are. If the environment changes for them, then they'll ladaot or die out. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Not really. For starters, humans are still apes. We're a type of ape. 

Humans and chimpanzees and bonobos split off a long while ago, a common ancestor gave rise to the different groups who went on their own way. Before that split you get the common ancestors of other apes and so on. 

There are steps on the record, you get more primitive hominids like australapithecus that have way to more modern hominids. 

There isn't really a goal for evolution, it isn't trying to produce man. It's just trying to produce creatures that are well adapted for their environment. Chimpanzees are good where they are. If the environment changes for them, then they'll ladaot or die out. 

Thank you... If we adapt to live in the environment we live in... I should be evolving to have a permanent hat, because it does nothing but rain here and a full body of hair for the cold bleak moors.. Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Frankly, I like the theory of Space Apes better, not the Flying Monkeys though ...

~

[00.07:37]

~

• Like 1

Sadly, David Attenborough came out in favour of this claptrap recently. Which is an issue because as our head of state, people tend to listen to what he has to say. 

• Like 2

There great arguments in favor of it but they are all negative. Negative evidence is.... negative. No evidence = no case, when you have an evidenced case for the present theory.

I know there are few here who respect the Biblical creation story, but it is remarked that they (abruptly?) realized they were naked, etc. For me, I take this as a change, no fur, began covering themselves sometime way back in the ages.

Not being a scientist, I have often pondered if there were different radiations or environmental effects that enhanced the chances of evolution in earlier ages. Maybe DNA was more reactive then than it is now. I have no idea, but, it is something I wonder. I see this aquatic ape idea in the same category, something someone can wonder and ponder and it is not presently a class of concept worthy of further pursuit at the present time as nothing supports it (yet?). We are always learning new stuff, but today, no, IMO. Wondering is a great thing by itself. But, it doesn't make for a sound hypothesis by itself.

I am more of an Intelligent Creation type if I had to pick a flavor, so maybe I am biased to be more relaxed about a seeming sudden change in the DNA. But, this is what makes for one person's sole opinion :)

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, Kota said:

Wondering what ya’ll think of the aquatic ape theory? And the images in history from multiple cultures (no contact being made) of humanoid aquatic creatures.... this could be fun :)

well life came outta the sea and then life moved back into the sea. sea mammals are proof of this. killer whales are related to wolves. but we're talking about millions of years.  

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

well life came outta the sea and then life moved back into the sea. sea mammals are proof of this. killer whales are related to wolves. but we're talking about millions of years.  

They're really not related to wolves in anything but a very remote way, the closest relatives of the whales are pigs and hippos.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldrover said:

They're really not related to wolves in anything but a very remote way, the closest relatives of the whales are pigs and hippos.

I wonder if you’ve given much thought to why pigs can’t fly yet they can swim, like really good?

10 hours ago, seanjo said:

He's getting on a bit...

It also would have been a popular idea when he was younger. He's old enough and nice enough and good in other areas to cut him slack. 

I, myself, don't think the aquatic ape theory is very good. I think the things that make us better then other apes in the water is what drove us to stand up straighter, and is why our body hair fell out.