Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Waspie_Dwarf

Strands in Cosmic Web

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Waspie_Dwarf

Tiny Distortions in Universe’s Oldest Light Reveal Clearer Picture of Strands in Cosmic Web

Berkeley Lab, UC Berkeley researchers map the network of filaments connecting the universe's visible matter

Quote

Scientists have decoded faint distortions in the patterns of the universe’s earliest light to map huge tubelike structures invisible to our eyes – known as filaments – that serve as superhighways for delivering matter to dense hubs such as galaxy clusters.

The international science team, which included researchers from the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and UC Berkeley, analyzed data from past sky surveys using sophisticated image-recognition technology to home in on the gravity-based effects that identify the shapes of these filaments. They also used models and theories about the filaments to help guide and interpret their analysis.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Berkeley Lab

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
StarMountainKid

Watching the video of the universe full screen on YouTube from the link is... what's the word I'm looking for?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taun
2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Watching the video of the universe full screen on YouTube from the link is... what's the word I'm looking for?

I've always thought it looks remarkably like the neuron pathways in a brain...

I'm not saying it is, just that it looks like it to me...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarMountainKid
1 hour ago, Taun said:

I've always thought it looks remarkably like the neuron pathways in a brain...

I'm not saying it is, just that it looks like it to me...

Patterns of energy. Or, patterns of organic energy. Organic being, denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole.

Not saying that 'the whole' has any other meaning than the most efficient way of organizing itself. As the neuron pathways of the brain and the cosmos have no other way of existing. They both have to exist as they do exist. In a sense, both must exist, given their fundamental elements. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

and in the end we learn we are merely parasites inside the mind of god....

suspected it all along :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NicoletteS

I think

1 hour ago, Taun said:

I've always thought it looks remarkably like the neuron pathways in a brain...

I'm not saying it is, just that it looks like it to me...

I'm saying it is. We are just a possibility in the cosmic mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarMountainKid
1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

and in the end we learn we are merely parasites inside the mind of god....

suspected it all along :)

 

Hopefully the cosmos doesn't mind us parasites, as we must exist within it. Given the elements of the cosmos, the human brain will evolve from it somewhere. I'm not convinced of the mind of god thing, though. I guess we could consider the cosmos god, as it created us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

Hopefully the cosmos doesn't mind us parasites, as we must exist within it. Given the elements of the cosmos, the human brain will evolve from it somewhere. I'm not convinced of the mind of god thing, though. I guess we could consider the cosmos god, as it created us.

I sort of do consider it all to be God. Just at times I have thought how systems seem awfully repetitive of our own inner cells and that the design of it all keeps being repeated. Just a whimsy. Not like I make policy or anything :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Looks like I entered the "fill in the blank" stage of this thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarMountainKid
1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I sort of do consider it all to be God. Just at times I have thought how systems seem awfully repetitive of our own inner cells and that the design of it all keeps being repeated. Just a whimsy. Not like I make policy or anything :D 

Sort of like Daoism, the natural order. Also repetitive in that we can't get out of it. That's part of the design. The best way to understand it is to be within it, not to try to fight it, not to make it something it isn't.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarMountainKid
6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like I entered the "fill in the blank" stage of this thread.

Yeah, it is what it is. When we fill in too many blanks, we stray from what it is, whatever it is. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taun

I didn't mean to hijack your thread waspie... Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StarMountainKid

How interesting it is that we can model the entire universe. I think this naturally leads to discussions of our place in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.