Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strands in Cosmic Web

Waspie_Dwarf

Tiny Distortions in Universe’s Oldest Light Reveal Clearer Picture of Strands in Cosmic Web

Berkeley Lab, UC Berkeley researchers map the network of filaments connecting the universe's visible matter

Scientists have decoded faint distortions in the patterns of the universe’s earliest light to map huge tubelike structures invisible to our eyes – known as filaments – that serve as superhighways for delivering matter to dense hubs such as galaxy clusters.

The international science team, which included researchers from the Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and UC Berkeley, analyzed data from past sky surveys using sophisticated image-recognition technology to home in on the gravity-based effects that identify the shapes of these filaments. They also used models and theories about the filaments to help guide and interpret their analysis.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Berkeley Lab

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Watching the video of the universe full screen on YouTube from the link is... what's the word I'm looking for?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

Watching the video of the universe full screen on YouTube from the link is... what's the word I'm looking for?

I've always thought it looks remarkably like the neuron pathways in a brain...

I'm not saying it is, just that it looks like it to me...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Taun said:

Patterns of energy. Or, patterns of organic energy. Organic being, denoting a relation between elements of something such that they fit together harmoniously as necessary parts of a whole.

Not saying that 'the whole' has any other meaning than the most efficient way of organizing itself. As the neuron pathways of the brain and the cosmos have no other way of existing. They both have to exist as they do exist. In a sense, both must exist, given their fundamental elements. 

• Like 2

and in the end we learn we are merely parasites inside the mind of god....

suspected it all along :)

I think

1 hour ago, Taun said:

I'm saying it is. We are just a possibility in the cosmic mind.

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

and in the end we learn we are merely parasites inside the mind of god....

suspected it all along :)

Hopefully the cosmos doesn't mind us parasites, as we must exist within it. Given the elements of the cosmos, the human brain will evolve from it somewhere. I'm not convinced of the mind of god thing, though. I guess we could consider the cosmos god, as it created us.

1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

Hopefully the cosmos doesn't mind us parasites, as we must exist within it. Given the elements of the cosmos, the human brain will evolve from it somewhere. I'm not convinced of the mind of god thing, though. I guess we could consider the cosmos god, as it created us.

I sort of do consider it all to be God. Just at times I have thought how systems seem awfully repetitive of our own inner cells and that the design of it all keeps being repeated. Just a whimsy. Not like I make policy or anything :D 

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I sort of do consider it all to be God. Just at times I have thought how systems seem awfully repetitive of our own inner cells and that the design of it all keeps being repeated. Just a whimsy. Not like I make policy or anything :D 

Sort of like Daoism, the natural order. Also repetitive in that we can't get out of it. That's part of the design. The best way to understand it is to be within it, not to try to fight it, not to make it something it isn't.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Looks like I entered the "fill in the blank" stage of this thread.

Yeah, it is what it is. When we fill in too many blanks, we stray from what it is, whatever it is. 

• Like 2

How interesting it is that we can model the entire universe. I think this naturally leads to discussions of our place in it.