Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

The first person on Mars 'should be a woman'

5 posts in this topic

Still Waters

A senior Nasa engineer has said the first person to set foot on Mars should be a woman.

Allison McIntyre, who puts prospective space travellers through their paces at Johnson Space Center in Houston, noted that all 12 people who have walked on the Moon were men.

She believes women should be at the forefront if and when the agency sends its first human missions to Mars.

It's more than half a century since Russia sent the first woman into space, and 40 years since Nasa selected its first female astronaut.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43724105

• Like 3

Eldorado

It should be the best person available for the job.

• Like 6

Merc14
Posted (edited)

It should be whoever is leading the mission, man or woman, anything else would be unfair and out of the norm.    There is absolutely no reason that a woman wouldn't be in charge so I don't see a problem as long as the best leader is picked on skill alone.  

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

Waspie_Dwarf
Posted (edited)

^^What Eldorado and Merc said.

The first person on Mars should be the best candidate for the job regardless of gender,

If women are to fly to Mars though then they need to be flying longer duration missions on the ISS. Only seven humans have exceeded 300 continuous days in orbit, all of them men. Only one woman has exceeded 200 days in orbit, NASA's Peggy Whitson, with a female record of 289.2 days, 148.5 days short of Valeri Polyakov's endurance record.

If there is a difference in female physiology that makes long duration missions more hazardous for them, finding out just before you attempt a landing on Mars would not be great timing.

NASA needs to be conducting the same kind of research that they did on Scott Kelly's one-year mission on a woman. Of course it may turn out that all women crews would be the best idea for trips to Mars.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 4

Iilaa'mpuul'xem
Posted (edited)

I agree, I know a few women that I would like to see being sent to Mars?  I bet they would still manage to scratch the rocket when parking up on Mars? lol

Edited by Iilaa'mpuul'xem
  • Haha 1