Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True Sabbath Day

Opus Magnus

For a long time there has been confusion about the sabbath day. Why do we go to church on Sunday, if Saturday is the seventh day? How can we be sure that the seventh day now was the seventh day thousands of years ago? 

Well, many of these questions have a different answer in the same kingdom of problems. There is an answer to the real sabbath day though. The answer is in Exodus 16, and is easy to miss.  The original sabbath is based on the moon, not the sun, and is the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th day of the lunar month. 

Why not multiples of 7? 7, 14, 21 and 28th day of the month? Well, because the first day, the first sighting of the waxing crescent moon in the west evening sky, is also considered a sabbath day. So, six working days later, and the seventh day lands on 8 and then keeping adding 7 to get the other dates. 

In Exodus 16 this is shown in practice with the Israelites, as on the 16th morning, manna starts to fall for six days, and on the seventh no manna falls and Moses says so because it is the sabbath, the 22nd day of the month.

Also, in Leviticus 23, concerning the feast days, Passover and the feast of Tabernacles, both start on the 15th, the sabbath day. So, that makes the sabbath, every month the first half of the moon, the full moon, the waning half, and the blackened moon. This makes more common sense than having random sabbaths. Also, didn't Ezekiel cry when he found his people worshipping the Sun? But, not for moon worship, because it is an apostacy.

16And they took t1leir journey from Elim, and all the congregation of the children of Israel came unto the wilderness of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departing out of the land of Egypt.

And the whole congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness:

And the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger.

Then said the Lord unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no.

And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily.

And Moses and Aaron said unto all the children of Israel, At even, then ye shall know that the Lord hath brought you out from the land of Egypt:

And in the morning, then ye shall see the glory of the Lord; for that he heareth your murmurings against the Lord: and what are we, that ye murmur against us?

And Moses said, This shall be, when the Lord shall give you in the evening flesh to eat, and in the morning bread to the full; for that the Lord heareth your murmurings which ye murmur against him: and what are we? your murmurings are not against us, but against the Lord.

And Moses spake unto Aaron, Say unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, Come near before the Lord: for he hath heard your murmurings.

10 And it came to pass, as Aaron spake unto the whole congregation of the children of Israel, that they looked toward the wilderness, and, behold, the glory of the Lordappeared in the cloud.

11 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

12 I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the Lord your God.

13 And it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp: and in the morning the dew lay round about the host.

14 And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground.

15 And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna: for they wist not what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the Lord hath given you to eat.

16 This is the thing which the Lordhath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents.

17 And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less.

18 And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating.

19 And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning.

20 Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them.

21 And they gathered it every morning, every man according to his eating: and when the sun waxed hot, it melted.

22 And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.

23 And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.

25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the Lord: to day ye shall not find it in the field.

26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.

27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.

28 And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?

29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

31 And the house of Israel called the name thereof Manna: and it was like coriander seed, white; and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey.

32 And Moses said, This is the thing which the Lord commandeth, Fill an omer of it to be kept for your generations; that they may see the bread wherewith I have fed you in the wilderness, when I brought you forth from the land of Egypt.

33 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the Lord, to be kept for your generations.

34 As the Lord commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

35 And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan.

36 Now an omer is the tenth part of an ephah.

Also thanks to the Book of Enoch. Because it revealed the position of the moon. That the first crescent always appears in the same place each month, in the west at dusk. I'm not sure on the validity of the whole book, but after personally checking this part I found it to be true. And if this part is true, how much else is true about it?

1Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. 2Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.

Also, I think this might be the inspiration from Solomon in this verse in Ecclesiastes 11:1.

If you have 7, then take 8 provisions, for you don't know what evil the day may hold. Is another translation.

Interesting and well written OP Opus Magnus.  I don’t have time to do it justice because of work, that time consuming necessity.    I will say on the Book of Enoch, you probably know that although quoted in the bible it was not preserved as a bible book and is one of the lost books of the bible, of which there are a few similar.  The work now available online may or may not be the original, or something close to it.  

In any event, it is unique in its description of angels.  The bible only gives two angel names, aside from Lucifer, if memory serves and so the info is limited.  Yet, the idea of angels, and their hierarchy is established in the Bible very clearly.  So, like people these beings can be good or bad and the book of Enoch goes into that in much detail.

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

Also thanks to the Book of Enoch. Because it revealed the position of the moon. That the first crescent always appears in the same place each month, in the west at dusk. I'm not sure on the validity of the whole book, but after personally checking this part I found it to be true. And if this part is true, how much else is true about it?

Except it doesn't.   The first crescent will appear every 29 or 30 days and each time in a different place (unless you are on the equator) due to axial tilt.   Just as the position of the sunrise and sunset changes.

Furthermore, it occurs on a different day of the week each time as well

So I don't see how this passge helps us determine whether God rested on a Saturday, Sunday or Wednesday?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Except it doesn't.   The first crescent will appear every 29 or 30 days and each time in a different place (unless you are on the equator) due to axial tilt.   Just as the position of the sunrise and sunset changes.

Furthermore, it occurs on a different day of the week each time as well

So I don't see how t his passge helps us determine whether God rested on a Saturday, Sunday or Wednesday?

Uh, no. The crescent moon always appears on the southwest horizon at dusk, just like the full moon always rises from the eastern horizon at dusk. It might be in a different zodiac sign, but the location has been the same for human history. The days of the week don't apply, they're not locations, but it does roll off them. Each month, the new moon is about one or two days later in the week, and it's not random. Anyone who watches the moon would know how reliable its location is, so as not to confuse people as to what it means.

Each phase of the moon is always in the same postion for its hour each time it goes around. Yeah, the sun and moon tilt a different angle depending on summer and winter, but that doesn't affect that the first sighting of the crescent moon will always be on the southwest horizon at dusk after it has come back around.

Saturday and Wednesday are based on the Julian Solar calendar, and wrap around the year endlessly.  But every month the lunar week resets on the first appearance of the crescent moon. It's a little bit different, but all discrepencies are cleared up each cycle. And, each month that phase of the moon rolls one or two days up on the Sun. Last month the new moon was on Saturday, this month it is on Monday. The lunar year is about 11 days different from the solar year, causing lunar leap year cycles. There is a small discrepency, but it changes so slow it won't have a measurable effect until the far far future. The clockwork of the sun and moon is another arguement people use for intelligent design, and how they appear the same size from earth to perfectly eclipse each other.

As for the first seven days. The sun and moon weren't even around the first day, so they have no bearing on the first day of rest, or how physically long the first seven days were.

Edited by Opus Magnus

Yeah, my prediction is that tonight you will see the crescent moon below Venus in the southwest at sunset if you look. And if you can't see it tonight, it will be above there tommorow. And if it isn't there tommorow, then we're all in trouble because the moon isn't where it is supposed to be.

And next month, about the same time the crescent moom will be there again.

Edited by Opus Magnus

It's overcast here this evening so no sighting possible, but hopefully will be clear tomorrow when I expect to see the crescent Moon appear just south of west (but setting a little north of west).   In winter it is more like SSW.   Its position varies just as the position of the rising/setting sun varies and the position of the rising/setting full Moon (easier to see) varies.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hope it shows, because I didn't check, and I'm just going off of that yesterday was the calendrical first day of the new moon month.  But, the calendar isn't all that accurate because it goes after that 15 hours after the actual new moon should be the first possible human sighting of a crescent. Last night it didn't appear, because the calendar cuts it really close, and sometimes after 15 hours it still isn't possible to see. According to the navy.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/crescent.php

Hmmmmm....

For Christians, its sunday.

For Muslims, saturday

and for Hebrews, Friday night.

Personally, I think god likes a 3 day weekend. And probably calls in sick on Monday............

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JMPD1 said:

Hmmmmm....

For Christians, its sunday.

For Muslims, saturday

and for Hebrews, Friday night.

Personally, I think god likes a 3 day weekend. And probably calls in sick on Monday............

Supposedly emperor Constantine outlawed Saturday Sabbaths in the 3rd century, and instituted Sunday rest instead, except for agricultural workers.

http://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception-Sabbath_change_Constantine

But, as for the Jews, Friday evening is the start of the sabbath only. The sabbath starts at Friday at sunset, and ends on Saturday at sunset. The new day is seen to begin at sunset, not dawn. So it is still Saturday. The Muslims follow the Jewish practices, and even have the same calendar, for the most part. Except the Muslim lunar year has no leap years, always 12 months. So, the Muslim lunar year slides around the solar wheel over time. The Jews use the leap year, and 13th lunar month on leap years. This makes sense because it keeps the moon from sliding around the solar wheel in in retrospect, and keeps Passover always in the spring, and the Feast of Tabernacles in the harvest season. But, as far as I know the Muslims don't celebrate the feasts, but fast for Ramadan instead. So, the month of Ramadan may be in Summer one year, and two decades or so later Ramadan may be in the winter.

So, technically the Muslims use a lunar calendar, and the Jews use a luni-solar calendar, because of the leap years.

Because, it isn't easy, relying on the harvest, to have feasts in the winter, so the thirteenth month on the leap year has to be there to keep them in line with the harvest cycle.

Edited by Opus Magnus

The jews had two forms of sabbath.

One was the day of rest which was part of the covenant between god and the jews it was the seventh day   (Becsue it was the seventh day on which god rested after creation)   

they also had levitical sabbaths.

The seventh day sabbath remains the cornerstone of the  covenant between christians and  god  but Catholicism (  on the popes authority)  made sunday the day of rest to integrate pagan customs.

The levitical sabbaths, like levitical law, was done away with for Christians by christ's sacrifice .  

This is one of many sources for explanation on this and the first  which came up when i googled the matter .

http://www.girs.com/Gods-Sabbath.pdf

For jews, possibly muslims  (although most replace the Saturday rest with friday prayer because the y don't believe god ever needed to rest ) and biblical Christians,  it runs from  sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday 

Edited by Mr Walker

Yeah, six days thou shall do all thy work, but on the seventh thou shall rest. No work shall be done on the seventh day.

Also, a fire is not to be kindled on the sabbath day.

So, the wording there doesn't say when the week should begin, as long as its in some sort of 7 day cycles.

But, it starts to become irregular when you have the feast days, in the first and seventh months, that fell on specific days and were sabbath days. With just using the moon, it comes clear, and days don't bump into each other anymore.

Because, Jesus said, he came to fulfill, not destroy the law, and that not one jot or tittle should be removed from the law until the world passes away and all things are fulfilled. So, I don't think all things are fulfilled until the world ends.

He talks about how he hates the doctrine of the Nicolaitans in Revelation. 

Their doctrine, was like Paul, where the law doesn't exist anymore, and all you have to do is profess Jesus. And they were also like swingers, in a marital sense.

So, I don't think that way, because, as long as there is a moon in the sky the sabbath cannot be argued with to exist. The day will always be calculatable with an error degree of two or three days as long as it is in the night sky, on the first quarter, full moon, third quarter and new moon.

So when does the first sabbath start?  When the first crescent Moon is sighted somewhere in the western or southwestern quadrant of the sky (depending on time of year*)?  If so, how long does it last?  And what happens when it's really cloudy?  We could go 2 weeks without a sabbath.  2 months in Scotland!  :o 

And if it's based on the lunar cycle, which is 29.5 days, then some weeks must be at least 8 days long ....  

Why didn't God make the lunar cycle simpler?   Idiot!

* for the record it was sighted just south of west 2 nights ago here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And another thing .....

When he created the Moon, why did God not create it as either New or Full?   In order for the Sabbath to occur on the 7th day after he started work on the universe, he must have made the moon a waning crescent.  Why?

I dont think he really thought any of this through!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just had a Sabbath, and by my reckoning if a thousand years is as a day I won't see another one for near 6 thousand years.

jmccr8

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw the crescent moon here the first night I said, it was just left of Venus.

The sun and moon weren't even made until the fourth day of creation. So there's no way to build a current cycle based on the first week of creation.

The first sighting of the crescent moon marks the first day of the month, and it's considered to be a sabbath until the next evening. If it's cloudy, then 2-3 days can be allowed to wait for the new moon, but by counting you can be sure the moon should be up by the 2-3 day. And the moon will reset itself every month anyway, making it easier to keep count.

It shouldn't matter which phase the moon was in when God created it in relation to the sabbath day, because the first week of creation wasn't based on the sun and moon for time keeping. 

It could have been billions of years, and not everything is mentioned, like the angels are never mentioned to be created, unless they have always existed.

But, giants are mentioned later.

Edited by Opus Magnus

Yeah, there are 28 days in four weeks, so the last sabbath on the 29th day is immediately proceeded by the new moon, or the next day it should appear. So, it's like a double sabbath, and that compensates for the gap of more days, so there's always only six working days.

In contrary of what Christianity believes, some Christian churches believe Saturday is the sabbath day, like Seventh-Day Baptists and Seventh-Day Adventists. I don't believe this is moon worship, the Jewish and also Islamic calendars kept track of time by moon phases and monthly cycles. However, the Jewish one is more solar-based, like Rosh Hashanah falls in the new moon between Sept. 15-Oct. 15, which requires an annual solar cycle to keep track of seasons, esp planting and harvest.

Yeah, and the 19 year cycle of the moon is called The Marraige of the Sun and Moon. Year 3, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17 and 19 are leap years, at the end of the cycle the moon completely catches up with the sun. 

Without leap years it would take 33 years for the moon to completely circle the 12 months of the gregorian calendar.

Next year is a leap year in the Jewish calendar, and year 3 on the 19 year cycle, the cycle renewed last year.

This author also explains this in relation to stonehedge.

http://cura.free.fr/decem/06heath.html