Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Hawkin

Native Americans getting a raw deal

41 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hawkin

I came across this 5 min video from PragerU about Native Americans and how the US government is unfair to this day about their well being.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)

unfair is not the word to describe it.   there is nothing fair about federal gvmnt, regardless who you are,  unless you are part of that gvmnt, and even that is not a guarantee.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

I wonder if there should come a time when there is no legal designation of 'Native American' and everyone is just 'American'. How many generations until the past is no longer relevant to the present? The history of mankind is heavily one of tribes/races conquering/replacing/moving other tribes/races. At some point the past becomes impossible to sort out in the present. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey

Just watched a great (but very raw,) movie on Netflix last night called Wind River. It's about a murder investigation that takes place on a Reservation. Long story short, after a bitter sweet ending, text appears on the screen that claims there is a missing persons database for every other demographic except Native Americans. It also claims no one really knows how many Native American women have gone missing :unsure2: Here is an article discussing that very topic.

Quote

Missing and Murdered: No One Knows How Many Native Women Have Disappeared

“Native women are not often seen as worthy victims. We have to first prove our innocence, that we weren’t drunk or out partying“

The blurb in the movie was well placed and leaves the viewer with a lot to ponder. 

Why are Natives the one demographic no one is really standing up for? Where are the marches and Buzzfeed PSA's about such a cultured and beautiful minority? Is there a cultural reason behind it? It's like they are not even given the time of day yet they also suffered under slavery, rampant crime and Police brutality. It defies logic and it's heartbreaking to consider. @Piney may be able to offer some insight?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
travelnjones

image.jpeg.5d94e36957661e14ef744542824688d3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Why are Natives the one demographic no one is really standing up for? Where are the marches and Buzzfeed PSA's about such a cultured and beautiful minority? Is there a cultural reason behind it? It's like they are not even given the time of day yet they also suffered under slavery, rampant crime and Police brutality. It defies logic and it's heartbreaking to consider. @Piney may be able to offer some insight?

We are 2 to 3 percent of the voting population. Not enough to matter. All decisions made about us are made by White armchair social justice warriors for crap we don't need or want including being called "Native American".

They let me rot in prison for pulling a legal weapon, legally on 2 illegal trespassers after the charges were dismissed as my actions being legal. Yet the "spokesperson" for gun laws gone wrong is a guy who lost his guns and kids for beating up his wife. He was forgiven by Christie and now makes a mint on 2nd Amendment talks......but he's White.... 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
1 minute ago, Piney said:

We are 2 to 3 percent of the voting population. Not enough to matter.

It's gross that your value on the "oppression market" is determined by voting population size

Quote

All decisions made about us are made by White armchair social justice warriors for crap we don't need or want including being called "Native American".

I don't know what other term to use..."Indian" seems off in 2018. What do you prefer? 

Quote

They let me rot in prison for pulling a legal weapon, legally on 2 illegal trespassers after the charges were dismissed as my actions being legal. Yet the "spokesperson" for gun laws gone wrong is a guy who lost his guns and kids for beating up his wife. He was forgiven by Christie and now makes a mint on 2nd Amendment talks......but he's White.... 

Crazy story man..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I wonder if there should come a time when there is no legal designation of 'Native American' and everyone is just 'American'. How many generations until the past is no longer relevant to the present? The history of mankind is heavily one of tribes/races conquering/replacing/moving other tribes/races.

:blink: WOW!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

@Dark_Grey I'm a friggin Indian and the Socialists can kiss my ass! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
1 minute ago, Piney said:

@Dark_Grey I'm a friggin Indian and the Socialists can kiss my ass! 

:lol:lol deal

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

is it really about votes? liberals and democraps try hard to insult and alienate entire white male electorate, and that is at least 30% of votes, does not seem to bother them.

all those billion dollar budgets doing nothing is simple corruption and theft,  gvmnt needs this segment of population to be that way  so they can keep budgeting money create b.s. programs and agencies to deal with it,  and profit from it, remember gvmnt is not some entity it is people with lots power and greed. people that are basically immune to prosecution unless they cross another politician.

as for land, gvmnt does not allow sale and development, cuz they keep that land to themselves , when time comes they will take it, they do not need to deal with new owners and developers, but for now the story is ,it's "native american's" land. 

imo

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
khol
25 minutes ago, Piney said:

:blink: WOW!

yes after I thought more about that post thats what I did

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
internetperson
3 hours ago, Piney said:

White armchair social justice warriors for crap we don't need or want including being called "Native American".

 

ughh I had a friend who used to be like this. He claimed to have some indian bloodline which I call bs on every time and he'd get very self righteous. I would pay you to educate him....or physically assault him haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gromdor
On 4/17/2018 at 10:42 AM, papageorge1 said:

I wonder if there should come a time when there is no legal designation of 'Native American' and everyone is just 'American'. How many generations until the past is no longer relevant to the present? The history of mankind is heavily one of tribes/races conquering/replacing/moving other tribes/races. At some point the past becomes impossible to sort out in the present. 

 

When all other groups are purged of what would constitute a separate identity or culture from whatever the current American mainstream is, I would imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

When all other groups are purged of what would constitute a separate identity or culture from whatever the current American mainstream is, I would imagine.

Ya, but no one is forcing them to give up the culture into forever.

What I see is sometimes playing both sides; not wanting to join the mainstream economic and social culture but then wanting victimization status for lagging behind in progress.

 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
On 17/04/2018 at 12:53 PM, Piney said:

We are 2 to 3 percent of the voting population. Not enough to matter. All decisions made about us are made by White armchair social justice warriors for crap we don't need or want including being called "Native American".

They let me rot in prison for pulling a legal weapon, legally on 2 illegal trespassers after the charges were dismissed as my actions being legal. Yet the "spokesperson" for gun laws gone wrong is a guy who lost his guns and kids for beating up his wife. He was forgiven by Christie and now makes a mint on 2nd Amendment talks......but he's White.... 

 

I truly have my sympathies for the Native Americans since my ancestores where natives to the south Balkans too. But history.......

You are never too big to fail and you are never too small to matter. Have that in mind P.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Ya, but no one is forcing them to give up the culture into forever.

What I see is sometimes playing both sides; not wanting to join the mainstream economic and social culture but then wanting victimization status for lagging behind in progress.

 

So many things wrong with your post man. It does not work this way, friend.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
34 minutes ago, odas said:

 It does not work this way, friend.

What doesn't work what way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakka25
On 4/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, Piney said:

We are 2 to 3 percent of the voting population. Not enough to matter. 

Yet the 1% of the richest voters are often labeled as having too much political influence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
Just now, Wakka25 said:

Yet the 1% of the richest voters are often labeled as having too much political influence. 

because they do, and it has little to do with voting

Edited by aztek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wakka25
20 minutes ago, aztek said:

because they do, and it has little to do with voting

Exactly. There other factors beyond percent voting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
odas
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

What doesn't work what way?

It is wrong to think that they are playing both sides. WHY should they join something that it is not theirs? Mainstreem? It's not the same for them as it is for you or me. Join mainstreem means losing your identity - the one that was there before us. Easy for me, as an immigrant to join mainstreem. That is what I want and that is why I am here. Noone is forceing me. My choice. Losing my identity to fit in with the people who were here before me. How would you act if I would force you, one or the other way to lose your identity to fit in with me, the newcomer?

You have to think from their perspective like I am trying to think from yours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 hour ago, odas said:

It is wrong to think that they are playing both sides. WHY should they join something that it is not theirs? Mainstreem? It's not the same for them as it is for you or me. Join mainstreem means losing your identity - the one that was there before us. Easy for me, as an immigrant to join mainstreem. That is what I want and that is why I am here. Noone is forceing me. My choice. Losing my identity to fit in with the people who were here before me. How would you act if I would force you, one or the other way to lose your identity to fit in with me, the newcomer?

You have to think from their perspective like I am trying to think from yours.

You make some good points that I do agree with. Only point I was making that you didn't quite address is that if you are following a culture that doesn't value western materialism in the same way then you can't point to a  comparison of material position as a sign that you have gotten a raw deal.

But anyway, I liked your reply.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
11 hours ago, Wakka25 said:

Exactly. There other factors beyond percent voting.

Money to Lobby for personal interests. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
Posted (edited)

 

On 4/17/2018 at 10:00 AM, Piney said:

I wonder if there should come a time when there is no legal designation of 'Native American' and everyone is just 'American'. How many generations until the past is no longer relevant to the present? The history of mankind is heavily one of tribes/races conquering/replacing/moving other tribes/races.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:00 AM, Piney said:

:blink: WOW!

You don't agree with that?  I think there is not one piece of ground on this entire planet that one group didn't take from another through violence, war, and death.  That would include one group of natives taking it from another group in pre-colonization America. It's simply the way of humanity since the beginning of time.  Should people hold onto things that happened before they were alive forever?

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.