Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where is the Universe’s missing matter?

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronomers using ESA’s XMM-Newton space observatory have probed the gas-filled haloes around galaxies in a quest to find ‘missing’ matter thought to reside there, but have come up empty-handed – so where is it?

All the matter in the Universe exists in the form of ‘normal’ matter or the notoriously elusive and invisible dark matter, with the latter around six times more prolific.

Curiously, scientists studying nearby galaxies in recent years have found them to contain three times less normal matter than expected, with our own Milky Way Galaxy containing less than half the expected amount.

arrow3.gif  Read More: ESA

• Like 3

Well, to try to dip a little spirituality into science, clairvoyant sources speak of vast realms/planes not directly detectable by our physical senses and instruments that are in dimensions beyond our familiar three and at vibratory rates well out of range of anything we can detect.

What are non-physical entities made of if they exist?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, to try to dip a little spirituality into science,

How about sticking to science in the science boards and spirituality in the spirituality boards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Waspie_Dwarf said:

How about sticking to science in the science boards and spirituality in the spirituality boards?

Ahhh, perhaps they shouldn't be seen as so separate. 

26 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yeah, sucks how evidence is so much different to baseless nonsense.

• Like 1

I happen to agree with papageorge1.

I believe that the afterlife, the spirit world, other dimensions, and the multiverse (if it exists) will all be found in the Dark Matter.

1 hour ago, acute said:

I happen to agree with papageorge1.

I believe that the afterlife, the spirit world, other dimensions, and the multiverse (if it exists) will all be found in the Dark Matter.

That's great, so why not try discussing that in  the spirituality forums?

Science doesn't care what you believe only what you can produce evidence for.

Maybe it's all been eaten up by a herd of mutant star goats?  :D

But seriously, if the there isn't as much matter in the universe as our scientific theories suggest, it's possible our scientific theories are wrong.    It was only a few hundred years ago we thought lightning was created by gods living on mountain tops ....  We shouldn't assume we have yet got it right.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Come on, Waspie, I'm discussing future science. ;)

You asked where the missing matter is, and I've told you exactly what's in it!  Don't I get some bonus points?

Edited by acute

On 18/04/2018 at 5:01 PM, papageorge1 said:

But they are separate. I am no expert, but i do not you have to be to understand that this is science...and there is still a lot to be answered, found and explored,

Your clairvoyants may speak of vast realm/planes which are :

On 18/04/2018 at 4:56 PM, papageorge1 said:

well out of range of anything we can detect.

So they are basically guessing or just making it up. Please can you give us an example of what.....is well out of range of anything we can detect?

This article is about matter, can you give me a link to where a claivoyant mentions the variations of matter in the Universe and why they think that is and where they think the missing matter is and what that say about the gases and x-rays.

The scientist exploring space have far more chance of finding anything out there than some 'feeler and guesser' does.

From what i am understanding of the article, the scientist have an idea where it could be, but they could be  within a patch of space that is not covered by our current observations or emits X-rays too faintly to be detected.

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

So they are basically guessing or just making it up. Please can you give us an example of what.....is well out of range of anything we can detect?

No, I am saying clairvoyants perceive these subtler realms of nature through their psychic senses. Science at this time is limited to the perception of the physical senses and instruments.

Clairvoyant senses tell us there is  subtle matter in dimensions beyond our familiar  three and at vibratory rates magntudes beyond the detectable. Actually this is not so far-fetched for proponents of science’s String Theory.

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

No, I am saying clairvoyants perceive these subtler realms of nature through their psychic senses. Science at this time is limited to the perception of the physical senses and instruments.

Clairvoyant senses tell us there is  subtle matter in dimensions beyond our familiar  three and at vibratory rates magntudes beyond the detectable. Actually this is not so far-fetched for proponents of science’s String Theory.

When you can produce scientific evidence to support clairvoyance then your post will have a place in the science sections, until then it is just belief, and belirf has no place in science.

Once again I( suggest you take your discussion on spirituality to the spirituality sections and leave science discussion to the science sections,,, there is a BIG clue as to what is on topic in the titles of those sections.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

When you can produce scientific evidence to support clairvoyance then your post will have a place in the science sections, until then it is just belief, and belirf has no place in science.

Once again I( suggest you take your discussion on spirituality to the spirituality sections and leave science discussion to the science sections,,, there is a BIG clue as to what is on topic in the titles of those sections.

I did not initiate this latest volley if you check, @freetoroam start a new thread somewhere else if you wish to continue with me.

5 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I did not initiate this latest volley if you check, @freetoroam start a new thread somewhere else if you wish to continue with me.

I do not wish to continue this elsewhere. I do not often post in this section, but enjoy reading the articles, i do not expect to see the words clairvoyants and psychic senses in here. 

The universe has, in a sense, a horizon, or horizons. Gravitational lensing in the warping of spacetime has limits. Other types of horizons may exist in the microcosm of the quantum universe/multiverse as well. Who knows? I'm not an expert. This is a pretty good read: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180419141533.htm

• Thanks 1

What if our estimated universe age is actually older and the "missing" matter has been sucked into black holes.

3 hours ago, godnodog said:

What if our estimated universe age is actually older and the "missing" matter has been sucked into black holes.

The black holes is a possibility, supermassive black holes:

since the galaxies do not contain enough missing matter they may have ejected it out into space, perhaps driven by injections of energy from exploding stars or by supermassive black holes.

http://m.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Where_is_the_Universe_s_missing_matter

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 11:48 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Unable to open link to the article. So not sure about the specifics on how they came about the conclusion. However, overall, what if we are not missing that much matter in the first place. I think of it like this: Dark matter and energy is stated to make up about 90% plus of the universe. What if the universe is many universes in one. Like multiverses and what we are seeing is our own shell of our universe - the shell being dark matter and dark energy. So really, we are all 90% non-dark matter/energy separated by 1% dark matter/energy. Since a good proposition is 11 dimensions, then there is only 11% dark matter/energy. Because dark matter is invisible, then our eyes can see through this "glass shell" looking into other universes. Our instruments are second-hand at this point to detect the shell but our eyes can detect it. Light transcends the shell, therefore letting us see through it. So my feeling about it are along those lines.

Edited by Inversion5

On 18.04.2018 at 6:58 PM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

You can not solve this problem if you are in the framework of known science.
It is possible to guess till the end of life where matter disappears and scientists will all fall on dark matter and one can go beyond science and explore where and from where everything comes personally for itself without waiting for discoveries of science (they will not open it because they think with the physical mind so they are available only physical objects). Since from physics we know that if somewhere it has decreased that where that has arrived.