Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Mayor Wants More Knife Control

OverSword

London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a crackdown on knives Sunday in response to the rising levels of violence in London, which recently surpassed New York City's homicide rate for the first time. 

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," Khan tweeted. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law." 

There have been more than 50 homicides in London so far in 2018, and much of the violence is tied to gangs. 

Guns are strictly regulated in the United Kingdom and the rising homicide rate in London is directly attributable to a rise in knife-related crimes, with stabbings claiming at least 31 lives to date in 2018. By contrast, New York — which has a population roughly the same size as London — has seen a steady decline in violent crime. 

There were 15 murders committed in London in February and another 22 in March, while New York saw 14 murders in February and 21 in March, according to murder rate statistics provided to USA TODAY by London's Metropolitan Police and the New York Police Department.

Source

Wow, actually beating out NYC in murders so far this year. So what say you England?  Ban on knives?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

We already have a knife ban here in the UK. 

Knives

It is illegal to:

• sell a knife of any kind to anyone under 18 years old (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives)
  • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, e.g. a Swiss Army knife (a "lock knife" does not come into the category of "folding pocket knife" because it is not immediately foldable at all times)
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (including a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

But they choose to ignore it. 

This is multicultural Britain for you in areas where the cultural gangs hate the other cultural gangs - we call it cultural rascism, but are not allowed to use that term as it does not involve majority white people.

we had a problem years back where the young black gangs of caribean background would fight against young black gangs of african backgrounds, now we have the asian youth gangs, equally none of them give a damn about the laws on knives, they only care about their 'territories' and the asians gang hate the black gangs and visa versa. 

Do not get me wrong, this is not a rascist remark, it is a fact. We are living on a small island with many different cultures and we still have not got to a stage where youths in certain built up social areas live in a blissfull multicultural diverse society. These gangs are a major problem and so is their rascism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

We already have a knife ban here in the UK. 

But they choose to ignore it. 

This is multicultural Britain for you in areas where the cultural gangs hate the other cultural gangs - we call it cultural rascism, but are not allowed to use that term as it does not involve majority white people.

we had a problem years back where the young black gangs of caribean background would fight against young black gangs of african backgrounds, now we have the asian youth gangs, equally none of them give a damn about the laws on knives, they only care about their 'territories' and the asians gang hate the black gangs and visa versa. 

Do not get me wrong, this is not a rascist remark, it is a fact. We are living on a small island with many different cultures and we still have not got to a stage where youths in certain built up social areas live in a blissfull multicultural diverse society. These gangs are a major problem and so is their rascism.

So you don't necessarily blame knives for the murder rate but rather people and intolerance?

• Like 4

Edited by freetoroam

Much of the violence tied to gangs. 

Not surprising that they still find ways to kill each other. 

At least there are no drive by shootings where stray bullets hit kids sleeping in their beds. 

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

So you don't necessarily blame knives for the murder rate but rather people and intolerance?

I certainly blame the people. it is not legal to carry a knife unless you have a valid reason eg:  part of your work, taking to museum, which is unlikely any of these youngsters were doing. 

In the USA people are permitted to carry a gun if they have a valid licence, here we do not have licences for carrying a knives, just laws which say you can not...unless for these reasons:

Good reasons for carrying a knife

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, e.g. the kirpan some Sikhs carry

A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

https://www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/possession-of-weapons/

I have no doubts if guns were legal here these yourhs would be able to get their hands on one a lot easier than now and it would be their choosen weapon to carry. For this reason, yes, it is the person to blame as they choose the weapon, the weapon does not choose them. 

I also believe if guns were easier to get hold of here, there would be far more fatalities, i am not blaming the weapon for this, it is always the person to blame, but the gun can kill or injure more people with 6 bullets than a knife with one blade, though these gang menbers carry knives because they think they are 'hard' and their intent would be to use their weapons on other gangs, unlike some lunatic teenager whos intent is to shoot out a whole load of innocent kids with an ak47.

All weapons are dangerous, some do more damage than others, but the most dangerous thing in society is the man who decides to carry one ( anything ) as a weapon with the intent on using it out of hate.

Edited by freetoroam

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

The hypocrisy is about to reach levels never before seen online..this thread is going to be an echo chamber. Anyways, I wonder how much political correctness will hamper law enforcement's ability to properly control gang violence 

6 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The hypocrisy is about to reach levels never before seen online..this thread is going to be an echo chamber. Anyways, I wonder how much political correctness will hamper law enforcement's ability to properly control gang violence 

Political correctness will play a huge part in stop and search incidents.

The major issue facing a crackdown on knives is how easy they are to conceal, which means that a thorough search of a persons body would be required.

Police can and will throw the book at anyone caught with a knife however, and will try their best to establish intent to use it as well.

But I agree, the issue is much more complex than a simple availability issue.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Police can and will throw the book at anyone caught with a knife however, and will try their best to establish intent to use it as well.

As usual, it seems only law abiding citizens are being penalized. Just read about a kid's Play-Doh "knife" set being confiscated. "YAY UK!"

How bad is knife violence over there that it can top NY's gun violence? I thought the UK had universal health care, higher standard of living, etc etc. but people still have the desire to murder each other? How peculiar...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

As usual, it seems only law abiding citizens are being penalized. Just read about a kid's Play-Doh "knife" set being confiscated. 

Yeah pretty sure that never happened, Googled it, came from a satirical site.

Source: http://babylonbee.com/news/toddler-brandishing-play-doh-pocketknife-apprehended-by-uk-police/

This is quite obviously not real.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

I thought the UK had universal health care, higher standard of living,

And acid attacks.  Don't forget acid attacks.  465 last year and 395 the year before.  I'd rather be shot.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Get away. It has nothing to do with race or 'cultural racism' and everything to do with gang mentality and the territorial dick swinging that goes with it, along with poverty and other factors. 

Glasgow has a much higher murder rate and it's all white on white. Same with other areas in the UK.

People just love to blame things on race. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OverSword said:

Murder rates have went down significantly in the UK since legislation was enacted that criminalised carrying them. 

I guess it must just be a coincidence.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

How bad is knife violence over there that it can top NY's gun violence?

Still, in the worst areas, less than half the US murder rate - and the London rate is a third of the US average. New York actually has the lowest rate of the US' largest cities. Not quite the same city as in the 90s.

New York has the lowest rate per 100,000 of any of the United States' five largest cities.

56 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Murder rates have went down significantly in the UK since legislation was enacted that criminalised carrying them. 

I guess it must just be a coincidence.

So true.  I would hate to contemplate how much more murder there would be in London than New York were gun's legal in England.  Lucky for you guys you did the right thing.

51 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Still, in the worst areas, less than half the US murder rate -

With less than1/3 the population.  Looking good.

21 minutes ago, OverSword said:

With less than1/3 the population.  Looking good.

You misunderstand. Not murder amount, but murder rate. The 'homocide' rate in the US is just under 5 per 100,000 people. In the UK on average it is under 1 per 100,000 people. In London it is around 1.5, and in Glasgow it is around 2 per 100,000. 

Total population has nothing to do with the statistics.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You misunderstand. Not murder amount, but murder rate. The 'homocide' rate in the US is just under 5 per 100,000 people. In the UK on average it is under 1 per 100,000 people. In London it is around 1.5, and in Glasgow it is around 2 per 100,000. 

Total population has nothing to do with the statistics.

I know Brother :lol: Just lighting you up a bit.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know Brother :lol: Just lighting you up a bit.

b******. Guess I was trolled then.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

b******. Guess I was trolled then.

That's impossible since being a troll is against the forum rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they start stabbing each other with bumbershoots, will they be banned, too?

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

If they start stabbing each other with bumbershoots, will they be banned, too?

hard to say...whats a bumbershoot?

It's a conspiracy by the Government to Take Away Our Knives, so that when the Government comes for us we won't be able to defend ourselves against their ruthless stormtroopers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It's a conspiracy by the Government to Take Away Our Knives, so that when the Government comes for us we won't be able to defend ourselves against their ruthless stormtroopers. 

Pffft.. wouldn't work, Vlad. The English have a long tradition of being able to convert a simple potato-peeler into a lethal Katana (japanese sword) within minutes. The instructions for doing this are even posted on the internet. 

• Step 1 - take potato peeler out of cutlery drawer, and place on worktop.
  • Step 2 - take lethal Katana and place next to potato peeler.
  • Step 3 - put potato peeler back in drawer. 
  • Step 4 - wield lethal Katana against Vile Government Stormtroopers !

How are the government going to stop THAT ? Ban potato peelers ? Without potato peelers, you can't make Chips. And without Chips, you cannot have Curry and Chips ! There would be instant civil unrest !

• Like 2