Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London Mayor Wants More Knife Control

OverSword

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Pffft.. wouldn't work, Vlad. The English have a long tradition of being able to convert a simple potato-peeler into a lethal Katana (japanese sword) within minutes. The instructions for doing this are even posted on the internet. 

• Step 1 - take potato peeler out of cutlery drawer, and place on worktop.
  • Step 2 - take lethal Katana and place next to potato peeler.
  • Step 3 - put potato peeler back in drawer. 
  • Step 4 - wield lethal Katana against Vile Government Stormtroopers !

How are the government going to stop THAT ? Ban potato peelers ? Without potato peelers, you can't make Chips. And without Chips, you cannot have Curry and Chips ! There would be instant civil unrest !

I must have my Curry Sauce with Fish and CHIPS, but if there is no CHIPS , the whole country would react and there would be total chaos

Personally, I think knife crime is generally perpetuated in low income areas and predominately by young males, but the issue is not directly one of poverty.  I would also say that it is one of choices, or lack thereof, but more specifically the perception of the lack of choices and of course parenting.

knife crime and its association with gangs is a culture of its own, the modern day gang appearance being a hit US export, but of course gang culture has always been there one way or another.

This also comes down to identity and a need to affect the world around around them, with the lack of choices and the perception of an uncaring world, reinforced by absent or uncaring parents, or even parents themselves embroiled with gang violence and criminality, gangs and violence is a sure fire way to make that mark on the world.

But coming back to poverty, it is indeed relative, first world poverty is not the same as third world poverty, but it is none the less important.  The exposure those in poverty have to those who are privalaged has never been higher, and a hungry consumer market telling you to have the latest stuff, makes a huge impact on those who who’s only real currency is an ability to instill fear in others.

I could go on, this would fill a third year Social Science thesis.

3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

...to a point. Bad people will always exist regardless of economic status. I think it's part poverty and part personal responsibility. There are plenty of examples of people who rose up from poverty and became successful without killing their way to the top.

Yes, but we're not talking about nice people.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:38 AM, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, u mean a brolly.  What dialect is bumbershoots( and wouldnt bumberchute be a more correct spelling?  you know, like parachutes.) from?

Anyway, slightly more on topic, I have taken Action to oppose our Tyrannical overlords and destroy their evil machinations!  

Well, ok. I sent an email.  A million years ago ( or  about a fortnight ago, whichever is more accurate) a friend linked me to a new youtube video by the Schola Gladiatoria chap (have a watch of his other stuff if you have a mo, cos its dead educational, init?) but for now heres the vid:  

Amber Rudd (you know, the one that wears high heeled jackboots in order to grind our faces into the dirt?) was on the radio the next morning talking about the bill mentioned in the video.  Not a lot of detail, and clearly just a knee jerk reaction to the recent events in London, but I did as Mr Easton advised and Emailed the Govt to explain why I thought it was a  jolly silly Bill. She obviously didn't mention the email in her interview, because It was first thing on a Monday morning so she probably hadn't had chance to read it at that point.

Now, I dont know if anyone else did, apart from me old chum Jimmy who alerted me to the video, but I have a bunch of hobbies etc that could be adversely affected by such a bill and resolved to make my displeasure known. Now, I sent my email at about 3am...so it probably wasnt the greatest bit of writing ever, but it at least laid out why the gist of why the bill was a waste of time and effort.  It got quite scathing. Jimmys was probably more scathing because thats his default level of intercourse, whereas I tend to start off at "cheerful and content" and have to work up to "scathing".

Anyway I've been keeping an eye on this here thingy:

https://services.parliament.uk/bills/

And...its not there is it?  No such bill mentioned...

Tyranny averted, people.  I'm calling this one a win.

Edited by Torchwood
  • Like 1

POUNDLAND has banned the sale of kitchen knives across the UK in response to the crime wave hitting the country.The retailer stopped selling the weapons in London last week and is set to extend the ban to all 850 of its UK and Ireland stores by the end of the year.

https://www.************/news/6069878/poundland-stop-selling-knives-london-stabbings/

You'll have to start mastering the difficult task of cutting a steak with a spoon.  Note the use of the word weapons in the article while describing kitchen utensils.  Pathetic.  Yeah, this is reasonable. :blink:  Gods I feel sorry for you poor saps.  Seems a bit cowardly and alarmist.

edit.  It won't take the link, but it's ************ where the asterix are.

Doh!  LOL!  Okay its the sun look it up if you want. :D

Edited by OverSword

Shanks are made in prison all the time.

You can always find a way to stab someone. You just make an object pointy. Basically since the cavemen time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Shanks are made in prison all the time.

You can always find a way to stab someone. You just make an object pointy. Basically since the cavemen time.

Yep.  This is just hysterical reactionism. 

score

• emotion = 1
  • logic = 0

16 hours ago, OverSword said:

https://www.************/news/6069878/poundland-stop-selling-knives-london-stabbings/

You'll have to start mastering the difficult task of cutting a steak with a spoon.  Note the use of the word weapons in the article while describing kitchen utensils.  Pathetic.  Yeah, this is reasonable. :blink:  Gods I feel sorry for you poor saps.  Seems a bit cowardly and alarmist.

edit.  It won't take the link, but it's ************ where the asterix are.

Doh!  LOL!  Okay its the sun look it up if you want. :D

if that isn't blatantly fake news I'm Vladimir Putin. 

37 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Username checks out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I've had my suspicions... :unsure2:

;)

• Like 2

On the subject of offensiuve weapons, what are we to make of this?

Man jailed after stealing knives, an axe, six eggs and a bottle of tomato sauce

He wanted to rob somewhere and then make himself a fried egg sandwich? :unsure: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

This could be so dangerous, has he not seen the recall on eggs?

207 million eggs in nine states recalled over salmonella fears

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/14/health/egg-recall-salmonella-fears/index.html

• Like 1

I think , when you also consider the chap who ran into a waffle bar, shot a bunch of folk, and then ran off in the nude...the only conclusion you can really draw, is that we share this planet with some bloody weird people.

7 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Username checks out.

Multiple sources.  Poundland to stop carrying kitchen knives

And yes, username does check out.  Story accurate, snowflakes melting.

Edited by OverSword

On 4/21/2018 at 9:21 AM, Torchwood said:

Oh, u mean a brolly.

Brolly!  I like that :tu:

well, it is all done for your safety, only licensed chefs, and other professionals  should have knives, they also need to register it, and have valid permit.  . regular person does not need a knife. 

On 26/04/2018 at 4:00 PM, OverSword said:

Multiple sources.  Poundland to stop carrying kitchen knives

And yes, username does check out.  Story accurate, snowflakes melting.

Typically misleading I suspect; 'kitchen knives' probably means the large bladed serrated edged things chefs use, not what you use to eat your peas with. Any chef who got their carving knives from Poundland would have to be a really cheap chef anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...