Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

If God Exists, Where is He to be Found?

Guyver

8 hours ago, HermeticLabyrinthos said:

I would like to hear more talk of a Goddess to which the most common answer appears to be that the divine being is genderless. That attributing a masculine reference to it is done merely for the sake of language, but if such is the case why then is the being never referred to as a she? LOL

Because the idea is preposterous!  /snarcasm

If one looks at the Big 3 in religion (Judeo-Christian-Islam), women are not exactly on par with the men. For men to believe that their creator was or could be female would undermine the patriarchal power structure. I mean, you can't treat a woman like property if SHE is made in god's image, now can you?

On 2019-01-30 at 3:02 AM, Jodie.Lynne said:

Because the idea is preposterous!  /snarcasm

If one looks at the Big 3 in religion (Judeo-Christian-Islam), women are not exactly on par with the men. For men to believe that their creator was or could be female would undermine the patriarchal power structure. I mean, you can't treat a woman like property if SHE is made in god's image, now can you?

Lmfao no **** son!

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, Guyver said:

That's my question. 

To add.....is God to be found in this life, or what we think of God to be found?  Some people think we are God (or a part of  his essence) and this can be known if we become enlightened....but isn't this potentially what I just asked about us finding what we think of God?

The mind is quite something, probably more than we know.  Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts about coming to know God.  It seems to me that if God is to be found in this life, if He can be known.....then there wouldn't be any doubt about it.  Your thoughts?

If you really want to know the answers you need to go talk to your local priest/vicar. With most people on internet chat forums they arent qualified to talk about religion and a lot of them buy into quite negative views of it too. Many of the replies you get will be from people telling you their negative views as to why God doesnt exist instead of being able to offer any meaningful or constructive answers to your questions.

A priest/vicar will tell you that God is one. That does not strictly speaking mean one God. It means a state where everything is unified into one. The philosophical term for that state is non-duality which is when no dualities exist because all the separations causing them dont exist. I will attempt to talk you through the creation process as it exists in religion but you need to go speak to your local priest/vicar or go study theology.

Nothingness: If you think about it then you will realise that nothingness is the absence of everything. Therefore it can never and has never existed. Things can only exist if they are made out of something.

Non-duality: This state is unsustainable because nothingness is impossible. As nothingness is impossible at least one thing must always exist and that one thing existing causes non-duality to separate out into duality. In Kabballah that initial separation is into a giving force and a receiving force.

Space, Time, and Matter:: If you think about it then something can only exist if it is made out of something, if it has a location to exist at, and if it exists at a point in time. Hence the giving and receiving forces create space, time, and matter which are further dualities pulled into existence out of non-duality.

Creature Universe

The receiving force is you. You are that creature and you build up the universe around yourself to support your very existence.

Space: You have your location which is needed in order for you to exist. But to have a location there must be all the non-locations you dont exist at. So the whole of space exists with you occupying the pivotal point.

Time: You have the present which is needed in order for you to exist. To have a present there must also be a before and after. That is the creation of past and future. And your continued existence is the cause of time flow.

Matter: Not only is matter created to support your existence. But how did that matter come into being? To support itself then matter populates the universe back in time, forward in time, and across the rest of space at the present moment in time. It populates history all the way back to the big bang, it populates it all going forward until the big crunch, and out sideways, and brings it all into existence to support its own existence.

The initial cause of non-duality collapsing into a giving and receiving force is esoteric. Christianity portrays it not as Gods spoken word but as Gods thought word. Taking a different perspective on it then the whole universe builds up around that cause in such a way as to automatically make that cause thought. And the road back to non-duality is the cessation of all thought.

Unfortunately as nothingness is impossible then that non-duality is unsustainable causing the whole process to happen again. Hence, you get what some religions portray as being reincarnated. Its a fresh instance of existence which builds itself and the universe around it back up.

• Like 1

Everywhere. Have you looked around recently? Design can be seen in everything. If DNA is a "code" who coded it? If this reality is a simulation, who created the simulation?

Ignoring the existence of a designer is a dense maze of madness for the strict materialist to remain lost in. The true and worthwhile question is why, and for what?

Edited by PrisonerX

On 9/13/2018 at 11:36 AM, White Crane Feather said:

I suspect God is the collective consciousness of the universe. In this case you are in gods body. 

God is a boat...and we are all seamen....:lol:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PrisonerX said:

Everywhere. Have you looked around recently? Design can be seen in everything. If DNA is a "code" who coded it? If this reality is a simulation, who created the simulation?

Ignoring the existence of a designer is a dense maze of madness for the strict materialist to remain lost in. The true and worthwhile question is why, and for what?

A recommended videos for you on the design idea : 

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

evolution 

Evolution seems like an intelligent design, if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

A recommended videos for you on the design idea : 

Watched it, because I'm open minded; but it's not at all convincing. The sand and the beach is a watch, you just don't realize it, because you classify it as "natural", and thus this bars you from seeing it as a watch. I'd suggest that the fella in that video build higher scaffolding. 

Edited by PrisonerX

@PrisonerX

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video.

My take is that while nature/evolution may seemed designed we have no other option to compare it to. 

Taking an animal or a grain or sand or a solar system and looking at its complexity doesn't point to design to me.

We distinguish a watch or a building as designed because we know those things can only be designed by actions that don't occur by "nature." 

The human body is an amazingly complex object, but broken down, it made of a handful of readily found ingredients. 

My main issue with the concept is the age old question paraphrased "Who/what designed the designer?"

21 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

@PrisonerX

Thanks for taking the time to watch the video.

My take is that while nature/evolution may seemed designed we have no other option to compare it to. 

Taking an animal or a grain or sand or a solar system and looking at its complexity doesn't point to design to me.

We distinguish a watch or a building as designed because we know those things can only be designed by actions that don't occur by "nature." 

The human body is an amazingly complex object, but broken down, it made of a handful of readily found ingredients. 

My main issue with the concept is the age old question paraphrased "Who/what designed the designer?"

The idea of the unmoved mover is a philosophical conundrum, no doubt. But if you look at the watch as being created, in order to see the sand on the beach as being a function of design as well, you only need to "build higher scaffolding" (to use the words of the man in the video). Extrapolate, if you will. Think on a much larger scale. As above, so below. Do so, and you will see the possibility. You do not have to accept it outright, but if you do so you should at least be willing to consider that what you view is a "watch", just on a much larger scale. 

You have trouble seeing the larger watch because you yourself are a gear in it. 

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, RabidMongoose said:

Nothingness: If you think about it then you will realise that nothingness is the absence of everything. Therefore it can never and has never existed. Things can only exist if they are made out of something

Wouldn't that depend upon how you define 'nothingness'?

While Merriam-Webster.com defines nothingness as:

1: the quality or state of being nothing

a: nonexistence.

b: utter insignificance. 

Google.com defines nothingnesss as the absence or cessation of life or existence.

Nothingness: If you think about it then you will realise that nothingness is the absence of everything. Therefore it can never and has never existed. Things can only exist if they are made out of something

Isn't creation the act which something that is made or brought into existence which had never existed before?  What I am asking is if the Bible says that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, which is the reason for the 'ex nihilo' beginning of the universe since you can't create something that already exists and if something already exists then it isn't created but  evolves since evolution is the act by which something in existence changes from one form into another.

Nothingness: If you think about it then you will realise that nothingness is the absence of everything. Therefore it can never and has never existed. Things can only exist if they are made out of something

So what is darkness made out of? 

If you say darkness it is made from of the absence of light then does that mean you agree that the absence of light is not nothing, but rather is something called nothingness?

Edited by 029b10

10 hours ago, PrisonerX said:

The idea of the unmoved mover is a philosophical conundrum, no doubt. But if you look at the watch as being created, in order to see the sand on the beach as being a function of design as well, you only need to "build higher scaffolding" (to use the words of the man in the video). Extrapolate, if you will. Think on a much larger scale. As above, so below. Do so, and you will see the possibility. You do not have to accept it outright, but if you do so you should at least be willing to consider that what you view is a "watch", just on a much larger scale. 

You have trouble seeing the larger watch because you yourself are a gear in it. 

I don't extrapolate further because that is a false analogy fallacy. 

"A False analogy is an informal fallacy. ... An analogy proposes that two concepts which are similar (A and B have a common relationship to some property. A has property X, therefore B must also have property X. In a false analogy, the objects may have some similarities, but they do not both have property X."

Until there is good reason and evidence to prove universes and any/everything in them need/have a designer, I don't accept such claims.

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Letter B turned into an emoticon.
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 11:05 PM, PrisonerX said:

Not "who" but "what" and for humans that "what" would be 3 to 4 BILLION years of evolution so if there was a designer he was rather incompetent at his job and hopefully never got "paid" for taking so damn long. 

cormac

10 hours ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

"A False analogy is an informal fallacy. ... An analogy proposes that two concepts which are similar (A and B have a common relationship to some property. A has property X, therefore B must also have property X. In a false analogy, the objects may have some similarities, but they do not both have property X."

Until there is good reason and evidence to prove universes and any/everything in them need/have a designer, I don't accept such claims.

6 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

Not "who" but "what" and for humans that "what" would be 3 to 4 BILLION years of evolution so if there was a designer he was rather incompetent at his job and hopefully never got "paid" for taking so damn long. 

cormac

At attempt at sarcasm, no doubt, but when you think about it, the perception that 3 billion years is an incredibly long time, is only true from our human perspective, extrapolating that outlook on to whatever "God(s)" may be, seems fraught to me. One is not going to get a cosmic perspective, on much at all, thinking like that.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:09 AM, onlookerofmayhem said:

I like this post because of the way you expressed yourself and defined your terms.  

• Thanks 1

I've often thought, but now more than ever, that God is pointless when it comes to human conceptions. I don't mean that in a pouty atheist kind of way -- He, She, or It could indeed have an all-powerful or infinitely intricate method of developing and maintaining reality. The trouble is, He, She, or It doesn't seem to give much priority to consciousness. For a start, I don't make a distinction between morality and consciousness. If you're self-aware, you should have a desire to 'own' your good or evil nature, and weigh it in the balance of all things. Yet how many people have confidence to say, 'I am good / evil and my life is the lowest common denominator of all reality: follow my example'. So what's the point of consciousness, in terms of any greater, more Godly reality? He, She, or It doesn't have any respect for any kind of sophisticated thinking, so yeah, God's probably right there at the lectern during each and every political party conference, farting on about nothing.

I have a feeling I've typed this opinion into www.unexplained-mysteries.com before. If so, be sure to smack me up for being a hobby horse.