Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mind-Body- debate

ellapenella

1 hour ago, Ellapennella said:

What were the beliefs and practices of the historical Pythagoras? 

No writings of his actually exist, and nothing is known about his life.

• Like 3

Well that's the end of that then.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

No writings of his actually exist, and nothing is known about his life.

No proof in " theory of consciousness " either. Materialistically... "speaking in your language".

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Well that's the end of that then.

Are you  sure about that?

duality -mind/brain

13 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

No proof in " theory of consciousness " either. Materialistically... "speaking in your language".

So, this is an entirely made up conversation then?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Are you  sure about that?

duality -mind/brain

Here is a good link.

http://donaldrobertson.name/2013/01/02/stoicism-and-pythagoreanism-the-allegory-of-the-festival/

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

So, this is an entirely made up conversation then?

It's a truthful conversation of how the mind isn't confined to the brain.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wes83 said:

Im confused-mind and body alike. All of me-confused.

Why are you so confused about you?

11 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

That was such a great link,thank you for posting it. 

No worries, I'm Agnostic and Stoicism encompasses Agnosticism. I remember reading that a few years ago thought it was interesting.

3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No worries, I'm Agnostic and Stoicism encompasses Agnosticism. I remember reading that a few years ago thought it was interesting.

I think that  the link I posted seems like an illegitimate view of Pythagoras.  So, what are you feelings or understandings on the afterlife? 

Don't have any, I stopped breathing on an operation table for number of minutes and didn't experience anything. So personally I don't know.

Just now, danydandan said:

Don't have any, I stopped breathing on an operation table for number of minutes and didn't experience anything. So personally I don't know.

Yeah, I see where sometimes there are no experiences. I've had experiences before... not NDE's but things like where I actually seen something happen, before it took place, it played out before me and  seconds after that  it happen makes me wonder  about the mind and how that could be explained.  I think the mind does record everything but I don't think the mind has recorded future events before they happen.  

There is a scientific explanation for that too, I can't remember what is, but I remember reading a paper on it a number of years ago. It's to do with your brains shorthand approach to storing memories and sometimes your brain can not store memories correctly thus it's seems like your precognitive but really it's just your brain not functioning correctly. However I don't know as it's not my field, I'm highly skeptical about things like this but people are free to believe anything they want.

And no I am not going to ask for proof, your experiences are real to you and that's all that matters.

Although I'm not sure what this has to do with the afterlife and the topic of Pythagoras to be honest.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

There is a scientific explanation for that too, I can't remember what is, but I remember reading a paper on it a number of years ago. It's to do with your brains shorthand approach to storing memories and sometimes your brain can not store memories correctly thus it's seems like your precognitive but really it's just your brain not functioning correctly. However I don't know as it's not my field, I'm highly skeptical about things like this but people are free to believe anything they want.

But ...that's not the cause. I have no problems with memory. People who know me personally  would laugh about you saying that.  Consciously & vividly  I was able to see what was about to happen before it happened . It  prevented me from possibly getting hurt...I'm thankful for the experience. It was one of the most clearest I've seen, I have given thought to what Quantum science would regard to the mind knowing events in such cases.

42 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

But ...that's not the cause. I have no problems with memory. People who know me personally  would laugh about you saying that.  Consciously & vividly  I was able to see what was about to happen before it happened . It  prevented me from possibly getting hurt...I'm thankful for the experience. It was one of the most clearest I've seen, I have given thought to what Quantum science would regard to the mind knowing events in such cases.

I'm not saying your brain isn't working correctly I'm saying it might not work correctly all the time. Like I said I don't know nor am I asking for proof.

There is a concept in QM regarding time and space time, photons and superposition that might equate to time travel but the crux of it is you'd need the following to do so: The same amount of matter as our sun, contained in a cylinder 100km long with a radius of 10km as dense as an atom, rotating twice every millisecond, the surface of the cylinder would be rotating at half the speed of light thus dragging space time around it. Unless you happened upon an anomaly like this and it didn't destory the world I'd believe you then. I recommend the book called The Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics.

Anyways what does it have to do with Pythagoras philosophy?

Also here is a great link:http://www.iep.utm.edu/pythagor/

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm not saying your brain isn't working correctly I'm saying it might not work correctly all the time. Like I said I don't know nor am I asking for proof.

There is a concept in QM regarding time and space time, photons and superposition that might equate to time travel but the crux of it is you'd need the following to do so: The same amount of matter as our sun, contained in a cylinder 100km long with a radius of 10km as dense as an atom, rotating twice every millisecond, the surface of the cylinder would be rotating at half the speed of light thus dragging space time around it. Unless you happened upon an anomaly like this and it didn't destory the world I'd believe you then.

I wasn't thinking about time travel. I was thinking more about waves and consciousness,awareness.  Just because some people can know things at times even see things  before they happen doesn't mean  that their mind is not working properly. The mind's consciousness can not be factually explained scientifically ... that is fact of matter.  

4 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

The mind's consciousness can not be factually explained scientifically ... that is fact of matter.

What component of consciousness has not been linked to or shown to be affected by the physical brain/nervous system?  Meddling with or damage to the physical brain can change personalities, distort or eliminate memories, cause certain feelings, interfere with cognitive function, or cause you to lose consciousness altogether.  What's left?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

I wasn't thinking about time travel. I was thinking more about waves and consciousness,awareness.  Just because some people can know things at times even see things  before they happen doesn't mean  that their mind is not working properly. The mind's consciousness can not be factually explained scientifically ... that is fact of matter.  

But reality can.

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

And no I am not going to ask for proof, your experiences are real to you and that's all that matters.

Although I'm not sure what this has to do with the afterlife and the topic of Pythagoras to be honest.

Precognitive...that's what it's called. I'm not the only one in the world who has experienced it.

Well, what did Pythagoras say is the beauty of philosophy ?  

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

What component of consciousness has not been linked to or shown to be affected by the physical brain/nervous system?  Meddling with or damage to the physical brain can change personalities, distort or eliminate memories, cause certain feelings, interfere with cognitive function, or cause you to lose consciousness altogether.  What's left?

Nothing, just wishful thinking. All the evidence and the bulk of scientific knowledge shows that everything that we are can be tied to the brain-meat. We're meatbags, nothing else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

But reality can.

Reality, like in the quantum  double slit experiment?