Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did neolithic man practise surgery on cows?

Still Waters

A stone age cow skull boasting a hole the size of a biscuit has been hailed as a first by archeologists, who say the gouge is the earliest evidence of either a veterinary attempt or animal experimentation.

Human skulls from around the world, some dating as far back as almost 10,000 years ago, have been found with very similar holes – evidence, say experts, of a cranial surgery called trepanation in which humans scraped away at the skull, or drilled it, to form an aperture.

But the cow skull, dating to at least 3,000 BC and found at the neolithic site of Champ-Durand in France, is the earliest example of such surgery on an animal.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/apr/19/did-neolithic-man-practice-trepanning-on-cows

• Like 4

Wow. I honestly think the Ancients were smarter than I was taught to think of them in schooling. This is intriguing.

... then my mind drifts off to cattle mutilations and I decide I need more coffee :).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Wow. I honestly think the Ancients were smarter than I was taught to think of them in schooling. This is intriguing.

... then my mind drifts off to cattle mutilations and I decide I need more coffee :).

Hi Not a Rockstar

Bovine lobotomies, interesting concept I just wonder if anyone would know the difference in how they behaved afterwards.:whistle:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

Maybe somebody was hungry.