Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A trip through the Lagoon Nebula

Waspie_Dwarf

Hubble celebrates 28th anniversary with a trip through the Lagoon Nebula

heic1808a.jpg

This colourful cloud of glowing interstellar gas is just a tiny part of the Lagoon Nebula, a vast stellar nursery. This nebula is a region full of intense activity, with fierce winds from hot stars, swirling chimneys of gas, and energetic star formation all embedded within a hazy labyrinth of gas and dust. Hubble used both its optical and infrared instruments to study the nebula, which was observed to celebrate Hubble’s 28th anniversary.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Hubble/ESA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Waspie_Dwarf Sir, are gases different colors or are these brilliant images taken in other wavelengths? If I flew through this myself would my eyes simply see stars and planets or would I see some of the colors?

I know most are in other filters or wavelengths, I just wondered if some have colors naturally and if it might be seen to a degree with the naked eye.

Thanks, if you know. If not, thanks anyway.

here is a flyby https://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/heic1808c/

Edited by Not A Rockstar
added link

2 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

@Waspie_Dwarf Sir, are gases different colors or are these brilliant images taken in other wavelengths? If I flew through this myself would my eyes simply see stars and planets or would I see some of the colors?

I know most are in other filters or wavelengths, I just wondered if some have colors naturally and if it might be seen to a degree with the naked eye.

Thanks, if you know. If not, thanks anyway.

here is a flyby https://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/heic1808c/

Ironically if you flew thorough it you wouldn't see it at all. Nebulae are extremely sparse, not at all like how they are depicted in science-fiction movies, and only look so dense because we are looking through a massive area.

That particular image is a mixture of visible and infrared, so you would not see it like that. However nebulae do have different colours in the visible range. The colours will bepend on what gas is glowing and what temperature it is at.

These colour are visible in long exposure images taken through telescopes, however the colours are usually below the sensitivity range of the human eye, so looking at the same nebula directly through the telescope, with the naked eye, what you normally see is monochrome.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

There is a method that also amateur astronomers can give their images a "Hubble look" , check the link

• Thanks 1