Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Keeping Astronauts Cool on Their Way to Mars

Waspie_Dwarf

Worcester Polytechnic Institute Research May Help Astronauts Keep Cool on Their Way to Mars

An innovative cooling system developed by a team of mechanical engineers has proven successful in testing aboard the International Space Station; a second, more complex experiment is scheduled for launch in 2021

An innovative new method to cool spacecraft on long missions, technology that may one day play a crucial role in NASA’s quest to send astronauts to Mars and other deep-space destinations, has proven successful in a long-term experiment aboard the International Space Station (ISS). The research is paving the way for an orbital test of a more complex version of the cooling system in 2021.

Developed by a team of mechanical engineers at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), the system uses electrically charged fluids to absorb and carry heat away from electronics and other heat-generating equipment. With no moving parts, the technology’s simplicity and reliability make it an attractive option for long-duration space missions that will take astronauts far from the security of their home planet.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Worcester Polytechnic Institute

• Like 2

Very clever. But.. it's a bit.... "overkill", isn't it ? If they want to cool down, couldn't they just open a window ? That's what I do in my car ? 

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

If they want to cool down, couldn't they just open a window ? 

I know you are just being funny Roofy :D ...but imagine being exposed to the vacuum of space after opening a window. 

If you really want to know what happens to humans after an explosive decompression situation search for the Byford Dolphin decompression accident. 

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Very clever. But.. it's a bit.... "overkill", isn't it ? If they want to cool down, couldn't they just open a window ? That's what I do in my car ? 

That won't work because space will come rushing in. Space has been sitting in sunlight for a long time so it must be unpleasantly hot.

4 hours ago, Blizno said:

That won't work because space will come rushing in. Space has been sitting in sunlight for a long time so it must be unpleasantly hot.

Oh, I'd thought about that Blizno. Just fit the spaceship with mesh screens on the window. That will allow the heat to escape, whilst preventing the Space from entering in. (along with insects). 

42 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Oh, I'd thought about that Blizno. Just fit the spaceship with mesh screens on the window. That will allow the heat to escape, whilst preventing the Space from entering in. (along with insects). 

Has it crossed your mind that with what happened on the Southwest airlines aircraft this week that the whole, "opening the window," thing might come across as a little insensitive at this time?

9 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Has it crossed your mind that with what happened on the Southwest airlines aircraft this week that the whole, "opening the window," thing might come across as a little insensitive at this time?

Until you mentioned it Waspie_dwarf, I had not made a connection between the two. 

9 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Until you mentioned it Waspie_dwarf, I had not made a connection between the two.