Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The true horror of Heol Fanog

Black Monk

They don’t come more haunted than Hellfire Farm. As Channel 4’s ‘real-life’ paranormal show True Horror portrays, the site owned by the Rich family from 1989 was the source of six long years of raw psychological trauma – six years of supposed disembodied footsteps in the night, a mysterious cloaked figure looming in the darkness and a library hiding streams of satanic symbols...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-04-19/the-terrifying-real-story-of-the-true-horror-haunted-house/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Screams Amityville to me.....:rofl:

I watched this last night, the setting is just up the road from me. How can I express my opinion of the show...I can't properly. The necessary words would break the swear filter. 

Put it like this though. This was one of the most puerile, inane, derivative, implausible pieces of TV I've had the misfortune to sit through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, oldrover said:

I watched this last night, the setting is just up the road from me. How can I express my opinion of the show...I can't properly. The necessary words would break the swear filter. 

Put it like this though. This was one of the most puerile, inane, derivative, implausible pieces of TV I've had the misfortune to sit through. 

Too much mixed media....Horus, a Pre-Christian Celtic spirit and Satanic symbols?  :blink:  Make up your bloody minds when you concoct a fraud!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Too much mixed media....Horus, a Pre-Christian Celtic spirit and Satanic symbols?  :blink:  Make up your bloody minds when you concoct a fraud!

They dispensed with all of that in the show, instead they relied on black cloaked figures, not putting the lights on, and cut in interviews with people who made you shout an involuntary 'get a ******* job!' at the screen. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, oldrover said:

They dispensed with all of that in the show, instead they relied on black cloaked figures, not putting the lights on, and cut in interviews with people who made you shout an involuntary 'get a ******* job!' at the screen. 

If they want to get rid of their haunting let @Iilaa'mpuul'xem and I set up our new "Killing House" there. We're old now and not that accurate anymore.....

• Like 1

I mean it sounds great, makes for a scary tale and all but.... not a shred of evidence to present? Nothing from a vet about how or why their animals died? No reports from the power company or letters stating they had investigated and found nothing? ALL of his paintings and books were destroyed? No one thought to record any of the noises in the house? No one set up cameras when they thought they had intruders? They weren't religious or believers in God but the first thing they do is call a priest....and then later the dude from Ghost Hunters.

It's almost as if this whole thing was made up by a man obsessed (his daughter and wife's own words) by the unexplained and the paranormal.  So much of it actually focuses around him that I believe he was the cause of it all and no, not in a paranormal way.  He wasn't possessed, it sounds like he was depressed.  Does anyone know how he died in the end? 

• Like 2

Some interesting info from a 1995 article on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/at-home-with-a-power-hungry-phantom-1616368.html

I was desperate for explanations. So I asked the spiritualists to come and take a look."

This was when the really frightening apparitions began to appear: the spook-spotters. For a while, the house became a field centre for psychic research; spiritualists of every hue wanted to come and commune with the other side in the Richs' living-room. All sorts of trances were entered into, all sorts of tongues were spoken in, all sorts of explanations given for the happenings.

One psychic, latching on to local gossip that the last man to be hung in Brecon murdered his victim in the abandoned farmhouse next door, reckoned it was either the murderer or his victim doing the haunting. Another told Bill that he was being pursued by the relatives of a 16th-century alchemist he had murdered in a previous life. Another, an American evangelist, explained that Bill had been chosen by the Antichrist to direct evil spirits up from where the ley lines crossed (in the middle of his downstairs lavatory), to signal the end of the world: he was to be a sort of Armageddon air- traffic controller.

"We don't want to know anyone from the psychic world any more," says Liz. "Frankly, they're all weirdos. The final straw was when we had a visit from a man from the Christian Spiritualists - now there's a contradiction. He was horrible, hands all cold and clammy. I'd rather have spooks in the house than him."

Made me chuckle.

• Like 2

From our very own beloved forums:

Seems the story has changed over the years.  One report here has a goat killing their child and adds in a bunch of other insane animals - including the Pig which dies 'mysteriously' but in the documentary is shot by Bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2018 at 5:13 AM, oldrover said:

Sounds like it's so bad that it might be good. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 5:16 AM, Piney said:

Consistency!

We demand consistency!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Sounds like it's so bad that it might be good. 

No, it tipped over back into bad again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

No, it tipped over back into bad again. 

Was it actually worse than "The Last Jedi"?

Bill and Liz thought their new home would be idyllic

Then like George and Kathy Lutz, they realized they couldn't make payment......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

Was it actually worse than "The Last Jedi"?

Then like George and Kathy Lutz, they realized they couldn't make payment......

Exactly. That's one thingthat came across loud and clear through the nonsense. They were on their uppers. 

I saw the first two Star Wars when they came out, largely because I was too young to protest. By the time the third one came out I was old enough to cling onto the door. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, oldrover said:

I watched too. Apart from the sound and visual effects......how does anyone explain the astronomical electricity bills verified by the supplier? Also the electric company sent out a technician to check over the meter which was still running like crazy despite every electrical appliance being switched off.

By the way as you live close by, where is the actual cottage located? And please don't say "somewhere" in the Brecons which all media articles say! Is the place currently inhabited and if so, have there been any further reports? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiAmigo said:

I watched too. Apart from the sound and visual effects......how does anyone explain the astronomical electricity bills verified by the supplier? Also the electric company sent out a technician to check over the meter which was still running like crazy despite every electrical appliance being switched off.

By the way as you live close by, where is the actual cottage located? And please don't say "somewhere" in the Brecons which all media articles say! Is the place currently inhabited and if so, have there been any further reports? 

The thing is we saw a reconstruction of a technician coming out, not any bills or meter readings. I doubt it really happened the way they said. 

I can't find the location of the farm, I've had a little go but no joy. There is a link on the C4 article on the programme which gives a street view, but it's just narrow anonymous lanes, I tried following it but it cut out. As for more reports, before the programme I hadn't heard anything of this business.

14 hours ago, oldrover said:

The thing is we saw a reconstruction of a technician coming out, not any bills or meter readings. I doubt it really happened the way they said. 

I can't find the location of the farm, I've had a little go but no joy. There is a link on the C4 article on the programme which gives a street view, but it's just narrow anonymous lanes, I tried following it but it cut out. As for more reports, before the programme I hadn't heard anything of this business.

Yes i realised that and other parts were reconstructions...after all they were not living there when the documentary was made. The power company is known so information could be checked out there, and also it's reported they sought legal advice from a local solicitor over the bills they were getting. So that's two sources which could easily be checked out. We didn't see much of the husband but his wife (or ex-wife as now is) came over as pretty ordinary and 'normal' for want of better description. The most obvious question though which was never really answered was why stay there so long.

I looked on Google Earth as i found a vague description of the locality saying you take the last road on the left out of Brecon toward the Beacons. The ones i found are similar to what you saw on G/maps......narrow lanes which eventually 'disappear' with no more mapping.

1 hour ago, MiAmigo said:

Yes i realised that and other parts were reconstructions...after all they were not living there when the documentary was made. The power company is known so information could be checked out there, and also it's reported they sought legal advice from a local solicitor over the bills they were getting. So that's two sources which could easily be checked out. We didn't see much of the husband but his wife (or ex-wife as now is) came over as pretty ordinary and 'normal' for want of better description. The most obvious question though which was never really answered was why stay there so long.

I looked on Google Earth as i found a vague description of the locality saying you take the last road on the left out of Brecon toward the Beacons. The ones i found are similar to what you saw on G/maps......narrow lanes which eventually 'disappear' with no more mapping.

You couldn't check either actually. The untility company is governed by the Data Protection Act, and the solicitor, if there was one, would by covered by their professional confidentiality. So they could make any claim they wanted knowing that no one could check. 

The husband is dead, but I dudn't fnd the wife coming across as either plausible or reliable myself. A long way from normal. Apparently, there were aspects to this story not covered or rather 'edited' in the programme. Do you recall her briefly mentioning a 7' man with a bird's head? That was Horus apparently, some sources state that the couple maintained that the haunting was the result of a trip they'd nade to Egypt some time previously. 

As for location, I know that area between Brecon and the Beacons proper, as in Pen Y Fan etc, but the landscape in the street view doesn't look familiar. I have no idea.

The last post on this FB page was two years ago, so that doesn't preclude it from being him as he might died since. 

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

You couldn't check either actually. The untility company is governed by the Data Protection Act, and the solicitor, if there was one, would by covered by their professional confidentiality. So they could make any claim they wanted knowing that no one could check. 

The husband is dead, but I dudn't fnd the wife coming across as either plausible or reliable myself. A long way from normal. Apparently, there were aspects to this story not covered or rather 'edited' in the programme. Do you recall her briefly mentioning a 7' man with a bird's head? That was Horus apparently, some sources state that the couple maintained that the haunting was the result of a trip they'd nade to Egypt some time previously. 

As for location, I know that area between Brecon and the Beacons proper, as in Pen Y Fan etc, but the landscape in the street view doesn't look familiar. I have no idea.

What i meant about the wife is she didn't strike me as anyone seriously 'into' supernatural or spiritualism stuff. The two roads i found branch off a wider road and are literally single track roads, very narrow with just about enough room for a car but then eventually end. One road had a reasonable sized car park at the end which i imagine would be used by walkers. The entire Beacons area is pretty bleak to say the least and years ago my son did some crazy training there when in the Forces.