Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Prince Charles to be next Commonwealth head

8 posts in this topic

Still Waters

The Prince of Wales will succeed the Queen as head of the Commonwealth, its leaders have announced.

The Queen had said it was her "sincere wish" that Prince Charles would follow her in the role.

Leaders of the Commonwealth have been discussing the issue at a meeting behind closed doors at Windsor Castle.

The head role is non-hereditary so is not automatically passed on when the Queen dies, with some suggestions it might rotate among the 53 leaders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43840710

• Like 3

Vlad the Mighty

Oh, my vote was for the Earl of Renfrew. :( 

• Haha 1

RAyMO

nothing like a bit of nepotism

give my wee charlie a job.

Stubbly_Dooright
19 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The Prince of Wales will succeed the Queen as head of the Commonwealth, its leaders have announced.

The Queen had said it was her "sincere wish" that Prince Charles would follow her in the role.

Leaders of the Commonwealth have been discussing the issue at a meeting behind closed doors at Windsor Castle.

The head role is non-hereditary so is not automatically passed on when the Queen dies, with some suggestions it might rotate among the 53 leaders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43840710

Well, I learned something new today. :blink:  Despite that I was familiar with the commonwealth, and that Britain's Queen Elizabeth is their monarch as well, I didn't realize it something like a 'head'. Well, yeah, there had to be somebody to keep it in order, and I see how it's role is explained in the article, in being just that. But, I sincerely didn't really consider it. 

Now, I see that the PMs of Canada, England, (is the Australian and New Zealand's feel the same way?) are in backing this up, I wonder how the rest of the PMs will see it, or agree. 

My question is, since it's none-hereditary, does the currant head there until death, or can Charles take over now? I would think the Queen might be needing help with this, since from what I read in the article of what the head does, this may have become too much of a task now for her. 

15 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Oh, my vote was for the Earl of Renfrew. :( 

*Goes to look that up.*

Oh, ha ha!!!! :devil:  :o  ;)  

Wait, you said Earl. Googling that, I get Baron. 

and then

No one can say he hasn't been patient in waiting for the job. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OverSword

God save the thing.

Black Monk
Posted (edited)

The real head of the Commonwealth is Baroness Scotland, the first Briton to hold the role of Secretary-General, taking over from Kamalesh Sharma. The Queen is just the cermonial head.

Edited by Black Monk

stevewinn

Excellent choice, great tradition.

• Like 2